Walt Johnson and his fiberglass cases

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bloke
Mid South Music

Walt Johnson and his fiberglass cases

Post by bloke »

This (video linked below) is Walt Johnson - playing lead "scream" trumpet in Lionel Hampton's band (during the height of the "scream trumpet" craze - which prompted Maynard Ferguson and Bill Chase to morph into what they became).
Walt worked with many top-name musicians (Sinatra, Manilow, Streisand, etc.) and went on to become Elvis' lead trumpet player, and - growing weary of airlines damaging his trumpets - he designed some (heh-heh) "military-grade" cases for his instruments, made of thick fiberglass.
Later, the fiberglass cases (for all sorts of instruments) became a pretty big family business for Mr. Walt Johnson and his wife, Mrs. Lourdes Johnson.
I recall talking to his wife on the telephone - when ordering one for myself. Today - for my tubas, I still own an extra-large case and a medium-large case, and use them when my instruments must be co-mingled with others' instruments. A few years ago, I loaned one to a friend, who flew to China (to play some recitals and lecture - on their way towards being "tenured").
As to Mr. Lionel Hampton, many know that he was also a member of the Benny Goodman Trio/Quartet. Standing in the chow line at National Music Camp (now: "Interlochen Arts Camp") at Interlochen (as a college boy in 1975) I recall walking past Mr. Goodman, Mr. Hampton, and Mr. Urbie Green (trombonist) who were tearing into their chow - prior to their rehearsal and evening concert at Kresge Auditorium. That food (and my daughter reported to me that - later - it was greatly improved) was absolutely the worst I believe I've ever eaten - on a regular basis, and wondered how they could possibly be tearing into it so heartily...
...I then realized that - having been on the road most of their lives - their taste buds and digestive tracts had probably both been very well-hardened.

Three Valves

Re: Walt Johnson and his fiberglass cases

Post by Three Valves »

Love that Dinner Club with entertainment scene.

Haven't participated in years...

Few opportunities.
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
UncleBeer

Re: Walt Johnson and his fiberglass cases

Post by UncleBeer »

Reminds me of 'squeaky' Cat Anderson's playing.

Humble brag: I was in Lionel's band in NYC back in the 80's. Interesting gigs.
These users thanked the author UncleBeer for the post (total 3):
bloke (Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:23 pm) • York-aholic (Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:42 pm) • windshieldbug (Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:49 pm)