Composition with valve slide(s) removed

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
pittbassdaddy
Has thanked: 0

Re: Composition with valve(s) removed

Post by pittbassdaddy »

normancult wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:02 am To me, it is still a mystery how a skilled tuba player choose between the different keyed instruments, valve systems, "compensated" and "non compensated", etc.
We all start with what is available (typically the instrument is owned by the school or band that we start playing for). As we learn and grow we usually move on to what our teacher recommends and/or what our parents can afford. From there we develop an idea of what works and a good concept of what we want to sound like.

The next purchase usually happens at the intersection of availability and opportunity. What specific instrument is selected depends on the group(s) that the tubaist is in and the type of music they are playing at the time.

Most people pick a middle of the road type of 4/4 sized instrument that works well with most things such as a Miraphone 186 BB or CC, King 2341, Besson compensating Eb, or an instrument similar to one these.

Others select more specialized instruments such as 5/4 or 6/4 BB or CC for large band/orchestral work or an Eb or F bass tuba for solo/small ensemble work. Many tuba students in college/university are encouraged to obtain both to further develop their skill set.

Even more specialized instruments are considered for "period" pieces such as the cimbasso.

Professionals typically select what they believe to the the best tool available for them to perform the programmed music.

It all boils down to the following:
Most pieces written within the normal range of the tuba can be played on any instrument in reasonable condition that the musician is comfortable with. The audience is unlikely to care what instrument is used so long as it sounds good and is performed exceptionally well.

bloke
Mid South Music

Re: Composition with valve(s) removed

Post by bloke »

normancult wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:02 am To me, it is still a mystery how a skilled tuba player choose between the different keyed instruments, valve systems, "compensated" and "non compensated", etc.
No equipment operation of any type begins with a new operator running with butter-smoothness (agreed?)
...but if someone can run a Z-trak, maybe they can quickly learn to run a skid-steer, and then a backhoe...etc.

Stuff is related...piano-organ-accordian-squeezebox-harmonica...

Humans adapt.

me...?? I'm stupid: I only speak one spoken language, and have to look up some of the words...