mouthpieces used with extra-large-bore & tall/conservative-bell-diameter "kaiser" BB♭ tubas

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bloke
Mid South Music

Re: mouthpieces used with extra-large-bore & tall/conservative-bell-diameter "kaiser" BB♭ tubas

Post by bloke »

yup.

Dan Tuba

Re: mouthpieces used with extra-large-bore & tall/conservative-bell-diameter "kaiser" BB♭ tubas

Post by Dan Tuba »

Unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to play on one of those tubas. Maybe some day. Good luck on your search.
Conn 25J
Holton Monster 3+1 EEb
Faxx 24AW
jtm

Post by jtm »

martyneilan wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:52 pm The Mirafphfone 190 used to ship with a C4. I would think your solo mouthpiece with the right backbore would work well. An original Conn2 also worked fairly well, and even better slightly opened up - aka your Imperial.
I'd just about forgotten what the original question was by the time I got to this post.
John Morris
This practicing trick actually seems to be working!
playing some old German rotary tubas for free
pjv

Post by pjv »

bloke wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:11 am ...and there is no background motivation to offer a new cup to my line of components. I just don’t see the “Kaiser B-flat“ market as being particularly viable.
Pity. You could call it the Blokekrieg.

Anyway
What JTM said. 2nd that (although....didn’t they send ALL their tubas from that period with a C4?). Or ask Melton what kind of mpc comes with their 197.

Personally I’d just PM those who might know.
German tubas are almost trombonelike. Maybe there’s something in that.

Uh....buying a certain type of tuba so it can fit in the car. Really? (I can hear all the harpists and percussionists laughing).
But seriously, buy a Cerveny. As far as I can tell, EVERY tuba they’ve ever made has a compact model equivalent.
Will it play differently? Probably
Will it sound different? Somewhat.
Will the general audience hear the difference? Most likely....not.
Will anyone care? No.

And now I’ve really gone off topic.
SORRY!
Doc

Post by Doc »

pjv wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:59 am
bloke wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:11 am ...and there is no background motivation to offer a new cup to my line of components. I just don’t see the “Kaiser B-flat“ market as being particularly viable.
Pity. You could call it the Blokekrieg.
Excellent name! And I'd definitely try one.

Uh....buying a certain type of tuba so it can fit in the car. Really? (I can hear all the harpists and percussionists laughing).
It defies tuba player logic. I've teased Brett and given him grief about this many times publicly and in emails. And I probably will again. :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

I frequently transport tuba, upright bass, amp/speaker, cords, and stands simultaneously - and not in some stupid little car. @bort2.0 JUST SAYIN', BRO! JUST SAYIN'! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Doc (who owns a Corolla, plus something more tuba-friendly)
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Oh this again... :eyes: :smilie8:

And it's really the reverse... I already have the car, and I'm not going to keep (or buy) a tuba that doesn't fit in it. We are a one car family, the car is paid off, and I like that car an awful lot. Most tubas fit in the trunk just fine. Some do not fit. So it's really like the largest 5% of tubas we are even talking about. And don't we all just spend our time trying to convince each other that we *don't* need the largest possible tuba?

The culprit for me was a B&S Neptune. It just barely barely barely fit in the trunk. Tremendously difficult and concerning that it could cause damage with one small slip. Front seat and back seat not an option. So what then? Damned to a life with the Neptune (a fine tuba, BTW), or sell and get something smaller (everything is smaller!) that is a non option for transportation?

It's a moot point anyway, because:
* My Alex 163 fits easily, and that tuba is IT.
* It's not like I'm playing much anyway. In the last 5 years, I think TubaChristmas was my only time playing outside of the house. This year... Not even that. :eyes:
iiipopes

Post by iiipopes »

Hmm. After one gig some years ago, where the band leader asked me to "take a look at" his bass guitar and student Bach 3/4 tuba (old enough to probably be an O-99 stencil), I drove home with all this loaded in my 2012 Chevy Sonic hatchback with the seats folded down, carefully packed:

Double bass
Two bass guitars in their cases
Carvin MB12 combo amp
Tuba
Tackle box used as a gig box (tools, spares, etc.)
Cord bag
Stand for the double bass
Stand for the electric bass
Stand for the combo amp
Music stand

And still had room in the front for a couple of small items. And the neck of the double bass was positioned between the front seats on the passenger side of the center console so it didn't interfere with either the shift lever or my coffee cup holder.
Jupiter JTU1110
"Real" Conn 36K
Klier 4B Classic
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

pjv wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:59 am...stuff ending with...
And now I’ve really gone off topic.
SORRY!
good post, though ! :cheers: :smilie8:
DandyZ629

Post by DandyZ629 »

bloke wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:11 am
...and there is no background motivation to offer a new cup to my line of components. I just don’t see the “Kaiser B-flat“ market as being particularly viable.
In this case...Houser already has all the measurements for the Loud LM10...pretty close to the same Marcinkiewicz N4 "Tommy Johnson" model...maybe an option? :teeth:
Kalison DS CC
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

DandyZ629 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:21 am
bloke wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:11 am
...and there is no background motivation to offer a new cup to my line of components. I just don’t see the “Kaiser B-flat“ market as being particularly viable.
In this case...Houser already has all the measurements for the Loud LM10...pretty close to the same Marcinkiewicz N4 "Tommy Johnson" model...maybe an option? :teeth:
Render unto Houser the things that are Houser's. :cheers:

It has probably cost me money, but I don't put my name on any cup shapes that I don't personally use.
The TJ cup shape isn't a bad cup (and I've heard TJ use it with great success), but I've never personally liked/used it.
I struggled with various "Helleberg"-style cups for decades, and finally realized that they're just not for me.
I'm currently not using my Orchestra Grand cup, because I'm not "doing" 6/4 yorkaphones, anymore...well...at least, not for now...but (who knows?) I might change my mind - prior to croaking, and/or might find (as I'd wager have other players) other good applications for that cup contour.

From time-to-time, Dave runs some limited-production runs of his formerly-sold designs (even, occasionally, the old-old "Deck" stuff).

Me getting into designing/offering mouthpieces - in the first place - was a fluke, but stainless-steel (sick and tired of wear, plating failure, scratches, and chips that many of us suffer with silver-plated and or gold-plated brass) was right at the top of the list as a motivation. For those into "heavy" or who believe that the mouthpiece itself resonates...well...There's plenty of stuff out there for them to buy, and plenty of makers and vendors who will gladly patronize their beliefs.
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

iiipopes wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:39 am Hmm. After one gig some years ago, where the band leader asked me to "take a look at" his bass guitar and student Bach 3/4 tuba (old enough to probably be an O-99 stencil), I drove home with all this loaded in my 2012 Chevy Sonic hatchback with the seats folded down, carefully packed:

Double bass
Two bass guitars in their cases
Carvin MB12 combo amp
Tuba
Tackle box used as a gig box (tools, spares, etc.)
Cord bag
Stand for the double bass
Stand for the electric bass
Stand for the combo amp
Music stand

And still had room in the front for a couple of small items. And the neck of the double bass was positioned between the front seats on the passenger side of the center console so it didn't interfere with either the shift lever or my coffee cup holder.
I once drove to Blokeplace to pick up my Holton, which he had straightened and redone the valves for. I took two other tubas that he appraised for me for insurance. So, I was carrying a Holton 345, a B&S F, and the York Master in one vehicle--a Subaru Outback--for 150 miles round trip. But it's a good thing the Redhead was not traveling with me--she could fill that car with just the stuff she uses to keep the red hair looking nice.

The current vehicle is more comfortable and less efficient. But I can carry sheets of plywood in it, and drag a 9000-pound trailer, so it serves many of my use cases.

Rick "Ford Expedition EL--three tubas, their players, and their players' luggage without breathing hard" Denney
donn

Post by donn »

DandyZ629 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:21 am In this case...Houser already has all the measurements for the Loud LM10...pretty close to the same Marcinkiewicz N4 "Tommy Johnson" model...maybe an option?
Is it? I had the idea that the cups would be shaped differently, more round on the N4 and more conical on the LM10, but never seen either in person or profile.
Dan Tuba

Post by Dan Tuba »

Not that this really helps with your search, I have recently been trying a Titanium Giddings Original Baer with my Conn 25J. I used the Baer at work for about a month, then this week, I decided to go back and try my Bach 24AW, and Kelly 50...I am really surprised at the clarity and efficiency of the Baer mouthpiece. Finding the right mouthpiece really makes life easier.
Conn 25J
Holton Monster 3+1 EEb
Faxx 24AW
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

When I was commuting and studying with him for a few months before he went to New York, I bought one of those. I played it for about 3 to 5 minutes, and just couldn’t make it work for me at all. I sold it while it still looked brand new, and people were going nuts (as it was “new”, and Alan was the hot topic) buying them.
Dan Tuba

Post by Dan Tuba »

I tried it because one of my colleagues at work suggested it...I was definitely skeptical, but it seems to work fairly well for me. I am sure that there are plenty of other mouthpieces that would work, but I have played the 24AW for a long time, because somehow it works for me, lol. I don't know why :laugh:
Conn 25J
Holton Monster 3+1 EEb
Faxx 24AW
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

bloke wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:17 pm When I was commuting and studying with him for a few months before he went to New York, I bought one of those. I played it for about 3 to 5 minutes, and just couldn’t make it work for me at all. I sold it while it still looked brand new, and people were going nuts (as it was “new”, and Alan was the hot topic) buying them.
When I first got my Miraphone 1291, I bought a Baer CC to use with it. I used it without thought, complaint, or overanalysis for a good while, before finally realizing that I didn't like the rim... And that the MMVI (or mim-vee, as I say in my mind for some reason... :eyes:) version was the solution for me. It worked great for me on that tuba, and I literally played no other mouthpiece on that horn for years.

Since then, I've owned a few of the MMVI mouthpieces, but never got comfortable on them, I think in part because I've grown away from stainless.

I actually wouldn't mind trying the MMVI again, maybe... But it would have to be an older used one. The new G&W... I mean G... mouthpieces just have the most awful generic laser printing on the side. Also curious about titanium, but meh... All of this... As if there's anywhere to play right now...
Dan Tuba

Post by Dan Tuba »

I tried the MMVI, but the narrower rim cuts into my face/teeth in a strange way. My teeth aren't flat, straight, so the fat rim is way more comfortable for me.

Titanium has a little different sound to my ears, but not much. Maybe a little more responsive...The biggest difference for me is how it responds to outside weather conditions. I play outside a lot. From my experience, the titanium is more comfortable in more extreme weather conditions.
Conn 25J
Holton Monster 3+1 EEb
Faxx 24AW
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

The MMVI also fits really funny in the Dillon AGR. You need the Euro adapter for the standard MMVI. And the Euro MMVI just doesn't really fit anything.

I think the MMVI made my sound a bit brighter on my Miraphone 188. Which wasn't at all what I wanted. Most likely-- user error. I'm certain that Al has (had?) zero trouble making his 188 sound amazing and huge.
poomshanka

Post by poomshanka »

I owned Tommy's 190 CC for a few years. As others have suggested, C4 and N4 worked well on it, but what I liked best was the Loud LM10. I've described it as a C4 on steroids. Mine has the LM3 rim on it, which has a little more bite on the inner edge. Stock LM10 rim is basically an N4.

I've liked my LM10 on other horns as well, especially large rotary axes. Dave Houser would have to tell you what it compares to that he's still turning.

...Dave
pjv

Post by pjv »

I’ve been thinking about the OP’s question. I question as to whether knowledge of the interior shape of any old school mpc (for use on old school stove pipe tubas) will result in anything useful.

My tubas all play easily and to expectations no matter which of the 3 Blokepieces bowls I use. (I say 3, but way more with all the modular variables using different shanks rim depths & diameters). I can literally play everything I’m capable of playing on any of my tubas with these mpc’s. The various shapes emphasize differences in the sound but they don’t really restrict my playing.

I can’t say this about other mpc’s in my collection, even the good ones. They all end up being hard work at some point.

This leads me to wonder: did Miraphone sell their 190’s with a C4 because the interior shape of that mpc is really a great match for this tuba, or is it because out of all the mpc’s Miraphone was capable of producing AT THAT TIME, the C4 won out?

With our modern day musical expectations and tastes, could any old school mpc ever show us anything except how we don’t want to sound? (Unless of course that old mpc was the perfect match).