Microphone mounts

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
BopEuph

Microphone mounts

Post by BopEuph »

So I decided it's time to get a microphone mount for the horn.

I really want to go wireless for gigs where I'm standing, and at the German pavilion at Epcot, they duct tape a Shure PGXD2 into the bell of the tuba for some sound reinforcement. I've experimented with my SM57 at home and there's just so much proximity effect with the highs being so overdriven, you have to essentially put a hard low pass around 400hz just so there's no distortion.

I was a sub there for a time, and talked to the full time player about it. Turns out, that's exactly what they do, and just use a smidge of the amplified sound, add tons of reverb, and the color of the horn is just the acoustic sound from the stage. The mic is just for low end/reverb reinforcement.

I want something with punch, which the 57 gets when it's right on top of (but just outside) the bell. Is there a good mount that can get the mic that position?

I'm also looking at the Xvive wireless system to connect to my 57.

I've just found that either I throw something inside the bell with duct tape, sacrificing punch, but protecting the microphone and allowing me to rest the horn on the bell, or a sturdy clip that allows movement, but requiring either placing the horn on the floor or lugging my stand along to the gig.

Boom stands are just so constricting for movement.

Thoughts?

Nick
(This horn list more to remind me what I have than to brag)
1984 Conn 12J
1990s Kanstul 900-4B BBb
1924 Holton 122 Sousa
1972 Holton B300 Euph
If you see a Willson 2900, serial W2177, it's been missing for a long time. Help me bring it home.
ernieball
Has thanked: 0

Re: Microphone mounts

Post by ernieball »

I use one of these

https://www.thomann.de/gb/km_10000_mikr ... r_tuba.htm

It's pricey, but very good.
Any idiot can play the guitar. It takes a special kind of idiot to play the Bass.
Kirley

Post by Kirley »

ernieball wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:18 pm I use one of these

I use that mount as well. I had to order it from Europe because none of the US K&M distributors could find it in their catalogs. For some reason it was Euro only. Not sure if it's still the case. I think that was in 2018

To the original poster, you won't be able to rest the horn its bell with this mount. So, lay down, haul stand, or remove when not playing.

I mostly use this with my sousaphones and helicon. I often move around quite a bit on stage (it's called a "show" afterall). The gooseneck didn't quite have the rigidity that I required, especially with my preferred dynamic mic, Sennheiser 421, which is a bit bulkier than a 57.

I swapped it out with a short boom arm. It's similar to this one but mine is more adjustable.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002E54ZU/
Sorry, I can't remember the make of mine.

Here are a few shots of my setup:
Stauff
Been thanked: 0

Post by Stauff »

I've seen guys adapt the Kelly SHU bass drum mic holder with bungee cords to work for a shock mount in the center.

https://www.kellyshu.com/
BopEuph

Post by BopEuph »

ernieball wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:18 pm I use one of these

Kirley wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:57 pm I use that mount as well.
I noticed this one a lot in my searches. It's sturdy, and isn't hurting the bell? Though, this would mostly be used on my 12J, so scratches really aren't too much a worry.
Stauff wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:30 am I've seen guys adapt the Kelly SHU bass drum mic holder with bungee cords to work for a shock mount in the center.

https://www.kellyshu.com/
I did notice this on Tubenet, and kinda like it. But I'm wondering if it would stay in place, and if it would hold a SM57 with a transmitter, or if that would be too heavy.
Nick
1984 Conn 12J
1990s Kanstul 900-4B BBb
1924 Holton 122 Sousa
1972 Holton B300 Euph
If you see a Willson 2900, serial W2177, it's been missing for a long time. Help me bring it home.
Kirley

Post by Kirley »

BopEuph wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:10 am It's sturdy, and isn't hurting the bell?
It's sturdy. But as I said before, the gooseneck wasn't really stiff enough for my use. The bell-mount part, though, is very sturdy. No worries about it coming off the bell. I haven't noticed any ill effects (scratches, dents, etc.).

As for the Shu, I used that for a bit before getting the K&M. It's plenty sturdy. You can choose how many cords to attach to it and how tight to make them. I found that 4 was plenty. It'll definitely support a 57 and a transmitter (assuming a small beltpack?). I didn't like how it looked. It's sort of a lot of contraption for what it does. The K&M is a more elegant solution.
BopEuph

Post by BopEuph »

Kirley wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:51 pm
BopEuph wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:10 am It's sturdy, and isn't hurting the bell?
It's sturdy. But as I said before, the gooseneck wasn't really stiff enough for my use. The bell-mount part, though, is very sturdy. No worries about it coming off the bell. I haven't noticed any ill effects (scratches, dents, etc.).

As for the Shu, I used that for a bit before getting the K&M. It's plenty sturdy. You can choose how many cords to attach to it and how tight to make them. I found that 4 was plenty. It'll definitely support a 57 and a transmitter (assuming a small beltpack?). I didn't like how it looked. It's sort of a lot of contraption for what it does. The K&M is a more elegant solution.
Thanks.

Actually, it's just a tiny wireless transmitter that connects to the XLR plug, and probably adds about an inch and a half. I haven't gotten it yet, but it seems pretty user friendly (Xvive U3). I definitely DON'T want any kind of belt pack; I'd either have to figure out how to mount it on the horn or remember to take it off of my person every single break.
Nick
1984 Conn 12J
1990s Kanstul 900-4B BBb
1924 Holton 122 Sousa
1972 Holton B300 Euph
Kirley

Post by Kirley »

BopEuph wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:45 pm I definitely DON'T want any kind of belt pack; I'd either have to figure out how to mount it on the horn or remember to take it off of my person every single break.
I prefer the belt pack as it makes it easy to mute/unmute. Since I mainly use the wireless on sousaphone/helicon, there are ample braces around the neck area to easily attach the belt clip to.
BopEuph

Post by BopEuph »

Kirley wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:00 pm I prefer the belt pack as it makes it easy to mute/unmute.
Ooh, that's actually a very valid point. I just was never a fan of the wires, but maybe I'll think about that.

Yeah, still on tuba; unless my commercial standing tuba gigs takes a major uptick (which doesn't look like it'll happen anytime soon), I'm gonna hold off on a sousa.
Nick
1984 Conn 12J
1990s Kanstul 900-4B BBb
1924 Holton 122 Sousa
1972 Holton B300 Euph