"monster" tubas

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bloke
Mid South Music

"monster" tubas

Post by bloke »

Why are there so many "monster" tubas and NO "monster" violins or violas?

When I google "monster violin", all I get are pictures of monsters playing violins, and no monster violins...

...and what about monster piccolos?

Dan Tuba

Re: "monster" tubas

Post by Dan Tuba »

Maybe because us tuba players oftentimes resemble "monsters," so in order to make this reality a little more palatable, manufacturers did us a favor and started naming the tubas "monsters." :laugh:
Conn 25J
Holton Monster 3+1 EEb
Faxx 24AW
donn

Post by donn »

Monster violas are a thing, or have been at any rate. The viola is significantly undersized in order to be playable in the modern violin style, but of course it can be quite a bit larger if played like a violoncello. The other undersized relative is the string bass, and of course there exist 5/4 basses and so forth, but I guess as an acoustic instrument there's sort of a diminishing returns problem there, and as an amplified instrument size isn't so important.

While checking up on this, I encountered a reference to a Monster Viola, developed apparently with some encouragement from Leopold Stokowski. The title says "vertical", but the text seems to be about a horizontal design.

I think the instruments that are generally unlikely to come in fat versions are the woodwinds, particularly flute and clarinet family.
Ace

Post by Ace »

I really don't know why the term "monster" is applied to some tubas but not to other instruments.  However, "monster" can be a complimentary term for an admired performer; e.g., he is a "monster player". Same thing for some other vocations.  My nephew was an All-American offensive tackle at University of California- Berkeley and played in the pros in the 1980's.  Playing his rookie year for Houston in a Monday Night Football game he attracted the attention of John Madden when he decked a veteran on the other team.  Madden exclaimed, "Look at that young rookie, Harvey Salem, out there.  The kid is a monster player. He just dropped Hollywood Henderson".  Perhaps in the world of tubas, some models and designs turn out to be exceptional instruments, worthy of the "monster" appellation. Ace
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

well...I - for one (a sensitive person, who often seeks out a real or virtual safe space) - am “triggered” by the term, and view it – as used so often in conjunction with tubas – as a form of discrimination, if not overt bigotry.
When there is a choice – as everyone has the right to choose - between being offended and not being offended, isn’t being offended always best ?
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

Now that is colder, that monster viola with all that flammable varnish seems oddly appealing... :huh:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
Casca Grossa

Post by Casca Grossa »

I have been searching forever for a 6/4 violin
Mirafone 184 CC
Blokepiece Imperial
Soon to be 5 valve Lignatone/Amati Eb
Blokepiece Solo
tokuno

Post by tokuno »

Ace wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:54 pm I really don't know why the term "monster" is applied to some tubas but not to other instruments.  However, "monster" can be a complimentary term for an admired performer; e.g., he is a "monster player". Same thing for some other vocations.  My nephew was an All-American offensive tackle at University of California- Berkeley and played in the pros in the 1980's.  Playing his rookie year for Houston in a Monday Night Football game he attracted the attention of John Madden when he decked a veteran on the other team.  Madden exclaimed, "Look at that young rookie, Harvey Salem, out there.  The kid is a monster player. He just dropped Hollywood Henderson".  Perhaps in the world of tubas, some models and designs turn out to be exceptional instruments, worthy of the "monster" appellation. Ace
Roll on you Bears!
As soon as I saw "Houston", it confirmed my guess that you were referencing Harvey Salem. :-)
Loved watching him for the brief overlap (I was a freshman bandsman in '82 - "The Play" - I think his final year at Cal).
Hope his body's holding up ok after the years of exertion and abuse.
Thanks for the quick visit to memory lane.
windshieldbug

Post by windshieldbug »

Why just "Monsters"!?

There were also "Mammoth" tubas, too.
And why no Mammoth Monster Eb tubas, either?
If it’s tourist season, why can’t we shoot them?
Ace

Post by Ace »

windshieldbug wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:03 pm Why just "Monsters"!?

There were also "Mammoth" tubas, too.
And why no Mammoth Monster Eb tubas, either?
Mammoth Monster. I like it. What's next? The new model 7/4 CC tuba, "Tyrannosaurus Rex". Hey guys, for those times when you really want to lay waste the strings or win the heart of that cute new harp player, only the Rex will do.

Ace
Doc

Post by Doc »

Dan Tuba wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:04 pm Maybe because us tuba players oftentimes resemble "monsters," so in order to make this reality a little more palatable, manufacturers did us a favor and started naming the tubas "monsters." :laugh:
RAAAWWRRR!
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
kingrob76

Post by kingrob76 »

I'm going to assert that the term "monster" is not a size-related term, but, more representative of instruments that have parts from multiple sources (King valveset with York bell, for example), something more akin to Frankenstein's Monster than say King Kong or Godzilla. I'm sure clarinet players love the acoustic benefits of putting a Bundy mouthpiece on their Buffet clarinets, they just don't talk about it like we do....
Rob. Just Rob.
iiipopes

Post by iiipopes »

Yes there are. The playing of upper strings by students can definitely be described as "monstrous."
Jupiter JTU1110
"Real" Conn 36K
Klier 4B Classic
donn

Post by donn »

The term goes back to early 1900s tuba models from H N White (King) and York, and Eb Martin - extra large Martin BBb tubas were Mammoth, like Holton. Conn used the more prosaic term "Giant." The word used to mean something like "freak of nature", back in the day when Frankenstein was written, and that meaning is in that sense historically respectable. I don't know exactly how it came to mean "big", but that's what it means to tuba people, thanks to York et al.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

My personal equipment is referred to as "behemoth", but - well - it's not my tubas...
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

Sees "behemoth"...

http://gph.is/1ccmjox
Last edited by Three Valves on Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
GC

Post by GC »

I use the word "Monster" because I saw it in a piece of Conn literature describing their biggest Eb's. I think. Maybe. I'm absolutely certain. Not. :gaah:
Packer/Sterling JP377 compensating Eb; Mercer & Barker MBUZ5 (Tim Buzbee "Lone ☆ Star" F-tuba mouthpiece), Mercer & Barker MB3; for sale: Conn Monster Eb 1914, Fillmore Bros 1/4 Eb ca. 1905 antique (still plays), Bach 42B trombone
humBell

Post by humBell »

Yeah, i adopted it as a moniker after seeing the Conn Loyalist listings online, which seems to use Giant for Eb bell size and Monster for BBb. I only assume it came from original publicity materials.

https://cderksen.home.xs4all.nl/ConnBassModels.html

I also like to infer that the American Model being front action, that american as modifier means front action, so i like to refer to the (early model number) 28j as an american monster.

And i learned from Sesame Street that monsters aren't all that bad. C is for cookie, and that is good enough for me.
"All art is one." -Hal
tofu

Post by tofu »

Last edited by tofu on Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

The tuning - with some of the old monster E-flats - can tend towards the monstrous, see?