amazing gift: Peterson electronic device

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bloke
Mid South Music

amazing gift: Peterson electronic device

Post by bloke »

I was shocked when a long-time/rarely-seen (distance separates us) friend GAVE me this amazing gift, yesterday.

Apparently, it is the FIRST device EVER built by Peterson (the tuner manufacturer).
It features no needle nor graph (does NOT electronically/mechanically detect the tuning of other instruments), but is a TONE GENERATOR, and was used to tune organ pipes (matching - "by ear" - their tuning to the tones of this device).

I was also told that (with "Chicago" on it - as they very shortly moved to a suburb) it may well be from the company's first year of production.
Reportedly (??), no one working at Peterson has ever seen one of these - other than in pictures.

It WORKS - with a few quirks...probably due to a slightly weak tube or two...

It's QUITE loud, but - if not loud ENOUGH - (as shown below) there is an "output" female phone jack.

Anyway...I'm really amazed (honored/embarrassed) that I was given this device.
It's not something I'll use often, but will enjoy displaying and demonstrating it, and think of my good friend every time I happen to glance towards it.

Last edited by bloke on Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Please visit and "like"...
instruments: https://www.facebook.com/midsouthmusic79
mouthpieces: https://www.facebook.com/Sellmansbergermouthpieces
2021 - 2024 Border Czar
Casca Grossa

Re: amazing gift: Peterson electronic device

Post by Casca Grossa »

:smilie8:
Mirafone 184 CC
Blokepiece Imperial
Soon to be 5 valve Lignatone/Amati Eb
Blokepiece Solo
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

Next Halloween, wear a doctor get-up and lug that around with you. When you great people, say you have come to tune their organs.

But then why wait until Halloween?? :smilie5:

I love gizmos.
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Three Valves wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:43 pm Next Halloween, wear a doctor get-up and lug that around with you. When you great people, say you have come to tune their organs.

But then why wait until Halloween?? :smilie5:

I love gizmos.
Halloween of 1998, I took my ten-year-old son around Trick-or-Treating. I wore a full-head Clinton mask, a white dress shirt, a navy blue blazer, a red tie, wingtip black dress shoes, long men's socks ("hose"), carried a cigar, and ONLY wore BOXER SHORTS (no trousers).
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

I always say I’m going to do crazy Shirt like that, then stop myself. :red:

:laugh:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
YorkNumber3.0

Post by YorkNumber3.0 »

Last edited by YorkNumber3.0 on Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
the elephant

Post by the elephant »

I would kill for one of those!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Jperry1466

Post by Jperry1466 »

YorkNumber3 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:47 pm That’s no good. How can you clip it to your bell and prove you’re in tune at Band Festival? Pffft.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I was asked to do a clinic for a band getting ready for Band Contest a few years ago where every kid had a clip-on tuner on their bells. Every few minutes, the director would say "check your Concert F", but never any other notes. The F was fine; it was just that all the other notes were out of tune. When I pointed out things like when playing a unison concert C the trumpets would be flat and the flutes would be sharp, and all would have to make the appropriate adjustment, he looked at me like I had just invented band. I said, "You could also teach them to use their ears..."

Several years ago, I was given a perfectly good working Peterson Node Tuner by a band director who was cleaning out his storage area. It takes up some room in my office, but I find it far preferable (and I think more accurate) than anything clip-on, hand-held, phone app, etc. It's nice to be able to check where my own pitch falls throughout the instrument at sight.

Bloke, you got a very cool gift indeed.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

“Check your concert F sharp.” :smilie7:

... Do graded band music composers even write that note in their pieces graded lower than “Grade 6”?

hands up:
“What’s an F sharp?”
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

Every day I am more and more amazed.

This forum turns common excrement into a torso covering.

Watch!!

Shirt show.

Shirt from Shinola.

Shirt head.

Shitty Shitty Bang Bang.
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
jtm

Post by jtm »

bloke wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:36 am “Check your concert F sharp.” :smilie7:

... Do graded band music composers even write that note in their pieces graded lower than “Grade 6”?

hands up:
“What’s an F sharp?”
Maybe for the saxophones?
John Morris
This practicing trick actually seems to be working!
playing some old German rotary tubas for free
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Jperry said
I was asked to do a clinic for a band getting ready for Band Contest a few years ago where every kid had a clip-on tuner on their bells. Every few minutes, the director would say "check your Concert F", but never any other notes. The F was fine; it was just that all the other notes were out of tune. When I pointed out things like when playing a unison concert C the trumpets would be flat and the flutes would be sharp, and all would have to make the appropriate adjustment, he looked at me like I had just invented band. I said, "You could also teach them to use their ears..."

Oh you have just jumped on one of my pet peeves, and I'll attempt to steal the thread. I go NUTS when a conductor also thinks that the tuner is in tune, and will tune chords in sections based on what it says. I go NUTS. If band directors and conductors with music degrees don't know what intonation is outside of the tuner, how will music survive?
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

...to the broader subject of “too much reliance on computerized electronics, vs. one’s own efforts and one’s own skills”

Fewer and fewer people are able to do much of anything - if it doesn’t involve some sort of keyboard and some sort of screen.
As our rulers push all of us towards fewer and fewer chances at prosperity, young people would be wise to become highly skilled at things that people actually need to have done, if for no other reasons: to maintain running water, electricity, and heat at their own abodes. I was lucky enough to have lived in America’s best days (formerly: with hope of things becoming even better for even more people). I suppose – in a way - young people (who never will have known those days) are lucky, due to their ignorance of what they will not enjoy.
Jim Williams

Post by Jim Williams »

I have hundreds of tubes for my older amateur radio sets.
If you need anything, perhaps we can work a deal for some
Blokewashers or that mythical euphonium Blokepiece.
The artist formerly known as Snorlax.
Shires Q41 and Yamaha 321 Euphoniums.
Yamaha 621 Baritone, Conn 50H trombone.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Jim Williams wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:30 am I have hundreds of tubes for my older amateur radio sets.
If you need anything, perhaps we can work a deal for some
Blokewashers or that mythical euphonium Blokepiece.
wow... Thank-you! :smilie8: :bow2:
I guess I should find someone with a testing machine…assuming I can figure out the nomenclature of the tubes, if some of their markings on top have disappeared…??

I can wire 110 or 220 (even 3ph.) - and not burn down a house, but I don’t know much about this DC/resistance stuff at all.
Jim Williams

Post by Jim Williams »

Did you also receive a manual?
Tube gear from that era often has problems beyond the tubes. These problems stem principally from dried-out electrolytic capacitors, most critically any capacitors associated with a unit’s power supply. When I acquire a “boatanchor” radio from the ‘40s or ‘50s, I start by putting the unit on a Variac, starting at low voltage and building up slowly to 110. That helps to revive the capacitors if they are salvageable.
In any event, one of the other problems with that era of gear is frequency drift. On an old receiver, that means a ham talking sounds fine now, but becomes Donald-Duckily unlistenable after three minutes. On a ham radio set, all you need to do to fix that is twiddle the dial to restore the proper frequency, but frequency drift on a device used as a pitch reference is problematic. Many hams leave their vintage gear turned on 24/7 because frequency drift is worst when tube gear is first turned on.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I just emailed them re: the existence of a schematic or manual, but the previous owner was told that no one - who works there, today - has ever actually seen one of these...
Jim Williams

Post by Jim Williams »

You can open the thing up and take out ONE tube at a time. Each tube should have an ID such as 12AX7, 6BA6, etc.
Make note of each ID, replace the tube, go on to the next & let me know the IDs.
Having said that, I might not hold out too much hope for an accurately performing device for reasons I outlined in the earlier message. Pitch-drifting pitch sources are hardly reliable. Unfortunately, there are few tube testers around any more. Additionally, the ones that still exist used tubes themselves & have the same capacitor issues, so tube testers are largely unreliable unless well maintained.

Jim "Used to listen to Radio Havana and heat my basement with the same radio" Williams
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

The Walgreens - one block from my boyhood home - not only had a tube tester (just to the left of the pharmacy), but an elaborate fountain as well...
...and hey, the pharmacy was microscopic in size - compared to my pharmacies today…because there were way fewer people on meds, and there were way fewer meds that existed.
Yorkboy

Post by Yorkboy »

Wow, that's a really cool thing - what a wonderful gift!

Regarding portable tuners (apps, etc) - I've never found one that is accurate enough (for me) to tune low frequencies; I find drone tones to be much more useful and reliable.