Yamaha 642 vs. 642II Neo

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
ParLawGod
Site Admin

Yamaha 642 vs. 642II Neo

Post by ParLawGod »

Anyone have experience on both of these horns? I have a lot of experience on the 641 and 642, but have not had a chance to try the new(er) Neo. Curious what others think, as I'm getting "the itch."

LeMark
Site Admin

Re: Yamaha 642 vs. 642II Neo

Post by LeMark »

I think the neo is better.

But, and I have to say this before someone spends that kind of money on a euphonium...

Have you test played an adams? If not, don't buy anything until you do
Yep, I'm Mark
cbz
Has thanked: 0

Post by cbz »

I owned a 642 for about 10 years and replaced it with a Neo a couple of years ago. I found that the 642 blew a little easier in the low range. The Neo offers a little more resistance, it slots better for me (e.g. G above the staff), and has a sweeter sound to my ears. Given a choice I between the two I would go with the Neo if you're keen on sticking with Yamaha. I sold my 642 to a local college student for what I paid for it ($3500) and picked up the Neo on Ebay hours later(demo, not a scratch on it) for around $3200.

Arul
tbonesullivan
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by tbonesullivan »

The "Neo" horns are generally better, as they are versions that have been tweaked, usually with a lot of input from professionals.
Yamaha YBB-631S BBb Tuba, B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, Sterling / Perantucci 1065GHS Euphonium
Yamaha YBL-612 RII & YBL-613H Bass Trombones and a bunch of other trombones
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

...so one is - well - newer, and has eyes on it...yes?
Jim Williams

Post by Jim Williams »

To me, they are two very distinct instruments. In fact, I'm not sure why Yamaha gave the Neo a 642 designation.

I find the Neo (my current horn) to be more responsive and even through the registers with a nicer sound and
less-sucky ergonomics. The old 642 always struck me as a "neutral" instrument--no great faults, no great strengths.
I play the Neo in the Indianapolis Brass Choir and Indiana Wind Symphony, and used it for my last solo with the IWS--
Robin Dewhurst's PANACHE.

On the Neo, the high B and D will take some effort. I use 3 for B and D depends upon the degree of stuffiness in
my right sinus--usually 1&2 if rainy and muggy or open if clear and cool. The C is best for me with 4....or some-
times 1, depending on context.

One thing *I* find about the Neo is that it's rather sensitive to the mouthpiece being used. I wound up buying a
Wedge mouthpiece, since it was designed by the same guy who had major input into the Neo. I use it but some-
times switch to an SM 3.5 or a Wick 4.

I'll be happy to answer any other questions you may have. I've played Sovereign, Willson, Miraphone, Yamaha, and
Mack Brass--I think I've bought my last horn :tuba:

YMMV!
The artist formerly known as Snorlax.
Shires Q41 and Yamaha 321 Euphoniums.
Yamaha 621 Baritone, Conn 50H trombone.