Discussion of tuba sizing

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
KingTuba1241X

Re: Discussion of tuba sizing

Post by KingTuba1241X »

Shouldn´t everybody known when buying a secondhand car to check the compression, all you need to known is one number and it needs to be the same for every cylinder.
That's not the way stuff works man, you're asking a LOT from humanity at that point. I don't even think most people buying a tuba for their high schooler or grad even know or care 4/4, 5/4, or 6/4.

06' Miraphone 187-4U
peterbas

Post by peterbas »

KingTuba1241X wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:50 pm
Shouldn´t everybody known when buying a secondhand car to check the compression, all you need to known is one number and it needs to be the same for every cylinder.
That's not the way stuff works man, you're asking a LOT from humanity at that point. I don't even think most people buying a tuba for their high schooler or grad even know or care 4/4, 5/4, or 6/4.
Isn´t this the time of smartphones, youtube... If you want to invest a little time you find a video of how to do a compression test and where to buy the cheapest gauge on youtube.
It´s just laziness and I see that everywhere, at work or on other fora where it is scary how little effort people want to invest in some knowledge.
KingTuba1241X

Post by KingTuba1241X »

peterbas wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:19 pm
Isn´t this the time of smartphones, youtube... If you want to invest a little time you find a video of how to do a compression test and where to buy the cheapest gauge on youtube.
It´s just laziness and I see that everywhere, at work or on other fora where it is scary how little effort people want to invest in some knowledge.
They just aren't interested in getting that far into something they consider either a hobby or routine maintenance. Perhaps lazy, but that's a lot of unnecessary emotional investment for most people believe it or not.
06' Miraphone 187-4U
peterbas

Post by peterbas »

KingTuba1241X wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:22 pm
peterbas wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:19 pm
They just aren't interested in getting that far into something they consider either a hobby or routine maintenance. Perhaps lazy, but that's a lot of unnecessary emotional investment for most people believe it or not.
If I was to spend 5000 dollar and think I could miss an episode of wheel of fortune or reality soap.
donn

Post by donn »

If a test like that were available, tuba shoppers would look at it, and possibly be motivated to learn how to interpret it.

That initial conditions is a hard target to meet, though. A shop like Hornguys or Dillon might be able to get you test results on a couple tubas they have in stock, but common buying trends seem to be to buy Chinese stuff from a seller who isn't likely to satisfy this need - maybe doesn't even handle the merchandise physically, has limited stock on hand, or just isn't into doing this work. Or second hand.

Then you get into whether the test really serves an important purpose - will the tests correlate very well with owner satisfaction. A manufacturer could certainly think about using tests like this for quality control, or even design, but it would have to really pay off for buyers if it's going to be worth learning. The place to start might be university tuba studios, where you could get a handful of decent players to go over a few tubas and their response data sheets and see if there's value in it and if so, how to make that accessible to a reasonably motivated shopper.
KingTuba1241X

Post by KingTuba1241X »

If I was to spend 5000 dollar and think I could miss an episode of wheel of fortune or reality soap.
Yeah, that's unfortunately not how the average American consumer thinks.
06' Miraphone 187-4U
the elephant

Post by the elephant »

:popcorn:
dp

Post by dp »

the elephant wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:49 pm:popcorn:
:coffee: :coffee:
pfft (yes, that's for you)
pjv

Post by pjv »

tclements wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:54 am WARNING! HIGHLY OPINIONATED OPINION FOLLOWING:

This sizing thing is just a bowl of baloney. This was a phony construct invented buy a long gone tuba retailer in the 1970s. This was an attempt to define the undefinable, and as a marketing ploy at the start of the "mine's bigger" movement. The first "designation" was devised to delineate on what was a 'full sized' tuba, along the lines of stringed instrument designation. To clarify the difference, say, between a Mirafone 186 and a student model like the small King or Olds. The current designations arose through comparison to the 4/4s. Rudolph Meinl makes what is called a 3/4. This is ABOUT the size of normal 4/4 tubas, but is quite a bit larger than say a Yamaha 103. Alexander 163 is larger than the Mirafone 186, but are both considered 4/4s. Mirafone's 185 is smaller than the Rudy 3/4, but is considered a 3/4. Mirafone's 184 is considered a 1/2 size, but is bigger than most student 3/4s. Let's look at the other end. Rudy Meinl's 5/4 CC, Willson 3050RZ, and MW Tuono are all large .835 bore tubas, but are considered 5/4 and are VERY large tubas, larger than the 6/4 .750 bore CC BATs. What would be the designation for the Mirafone 190, the large Rudy BBb, and the Wexxes Kaiser, 7/4? Or would they be 5/4s, as the last branch is quite a bit smaller than the 6/4 BATs?

I suggest this designation: small, medium, large, BAT.

Respectfully submitted,
This!
ps "small, medium, large, BAT"(BART) yeah, that's what I meant with the 34/, 4/4. 5/4, 6/4.
A VERY general way to classify a tuba so that one more or less know what your talking about.
pjv

Post by pjv »

Stryk wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:59 am My 184 has decided to identify as a 6/4. #transtuba :tuba:
Perfect!
pjv

Post by pjv »

Kirley wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:24 am It feels like home!
Anybody else getting that sentimental feeling that things are "back to normal".
You know, like how we all used to yell at each other around the dinner table.
And by "dinner table" I mean TubeNet.

Can't wait for the piston v. rotary thread!

:popcorn:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
and I am REALLY enjoying every minute of it!
peterbas

Post by peterbas »

peterbas wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:01 pm
donn wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:58 pm
peterbas wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:15 pm With the impedance curve you could see if there are any notes that don´t resonate properly or if there are leaks in the instrument. There should never again be a tuba sold without an impedance curve, stop selling lemons.
In a casual search, I found no equipment suited to this procedure, nor even a description of what it would take. Are you aware of any example? Do they use mechanically generated tones?
https://www.artim.at/?page_id=8&sprache=2
With example
http://collections.nmmusd.org/UtleyPage ... ticle.html
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I’m not sure what a “monkey sandwich” is...(??)
Maybe, some people - who like to target/shadow selected subscribers, here, and pick random specious arguments about tuba stuff - are ~also~ cannibals...(??)
I don’t believe the ~term~ “piggy“ (as a size and shape of tuba) existed a hundred years ago, but neither did any of the math fractions that people tend to try to attach to tuba size ranges.
I have to admit to have never seen a 4/4 nor 5/4 tuba size designation until ~after~ I saw a Swiss maker advertise their CSO knock-off (four decades ago - the second knock-off ever made – after Holton) as “6/4“ - in the T.U.B.A. Journal.
I would love for someone to find that full-page ad, scan it, and - along with the date of publication - post than scan here. I distinctly remember raising my eyebrows at the use of a fraction - to describe a tuba’s size - in an advertisement.
======
otherwise:
“Getting all worked up and insulting when taking on mundane topics about nearly nothing at all” seems to be an effective method of trolling...Just check out the length of this post (though I’m going to have to wrap it up, because it’s about time to flush). 🤠
the elephant

Post by the elephant »

peterbas wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:04 pm… I´m calling this a monkey sandwich.
bloke wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:42 amI’m not sure what a “monkey sandwich” is...(??)

This whole raging, burning desire to categorize tubas by size is a rather stupid thing to argue about, boys and girls.

Seriously.

Y'all need to get a hold of yourselves and go do something else for a few hours.

Now go on. GIT!

:laugh:

KingTuba1241X

Post by KingTuba1241X »

pjv wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:14 am
tclements wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:54 am WARNING! HIGHLY OPINIONATED OPINION FOLLOWING:

This sizing thing is just a bowl of baloney. This was a phony construct invented buy a long gone tuba retailer in the 1970s. This was an attempt to define the undefinable, and as a marketing ploy at the start of the "mine's bigger" movement. The first "designation" was devised to delineate on what was a 'full sized' tuba, along the lines of stringed instrument designation. To clarify the difference, say, between a Mirafone 186 and a student model like the small King or Olds. The current designations arose through comparison to the 4/4s. Rudolph Meinl makes what is called a 3/4. This is ABOUT the size of normal 4/4 tubas, but is quite a bit larger than say a Yamaha 103. Alexander 163 is larger than the Mirafone 186, but are both considered 4/4s. Mirafone's 185 is smaller than the Rudy 3/4, but is considered a 3/4. Mirafone's 184 is considered a 1/2 size, but is bigger than most student 3/4s. Let's look at the other end. Rudy Meinl's 5/4 CC, Willson 3050RZ, and MW Tuono are all large .835 bore tubas, but are considered 5/4 and are VERY large tubas, larger than the 6/4 .750 bore CC BATs. What would be the designation for the Mirafone 190, the large Rudy BBb, and the Wexxes Kaiser, 7/4? Or would they be 5/4s, as the last branch is quite a bit smaller than the 6/4 BATs?

I suggest this designation: small, medium, large, BAT.

Respectfully submitted,
This!
ps "small, medium, large, BAT"(BART) yeah, that's what I meant with the 34/, 4/4. 5/4, 6/4.
A VERY general way to classify a tuba so that one more or less know what your talking about.
My "Medium" King is "Larger" than a "BAT" but not quite a "Large" tuba. Numbering systems always work better. And all airline pilots across the globe must speak English because it's the Universally agreed upon language in Aviation communications. The chaos on Runways at large international airports would be just like this thread if everyone decided what's best for them.
06' Miraphone 187-4U
lost

Post by lost »

I appreciate contrary viewpoints on how tubas should be sized. It's how discussion happens.

I understand why the York copy was called a 6/4 if that was 2 sizes larger than what the company made at the time.
J.W. York & Sons Performing Artist
http://www.YorkLoyalist.com
matt g

Post by matt g »

Didn’t Hirsbrunner make a Kaiser BBb at the same time they copied the York?
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
Dan Tuba

Post by Dan Tuba »

One reason I like owning/playing a Conn 24/25J tuba is that "nobody" is gonna out do me on size... nobody :laugh:
Conn 25J
Holton Monster 3+1 EEb
Faxx 24AW
donn

Post by donn »

So, no one ever shows up with a 6/4 Martin?

I was just now getting in a little practice on the tuba pictured above, and I had to stop and pull up the computer to make a suggestion. Small/medium/large/BAT may mean enough to be worth the trouble, or may not. I mean, is a tuba not "large"? Anything less than "large" seems like a bit of a compromise, and then BAT goes so far beyond reasonably large that it has to ascribe the "A" attribute to the instrument that it does not in reality have. Between these two there should perhaps be another category - "Just Right."
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

ok...but just one last question:

Has anyone ever tried this (fwiw: I see no monkey in the trademark...) on any of their tubas?...

...OR: Is the closest that anyone has every come to "magic sizing" been when a different bottom bow and bell were made for a PT-6, and it magically became a PT-7...?? :bugeyes: