Discussion of tuba sizing

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Three Valves

Re: Discussion of tuba sizing

Post by Three Valves »

LeMark wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:55 am I hate these discussions, but yet, there is a solution to this problem. Measure internal volume, like they do engine blocks. (as per pjv in a previous comment)

Then you would have people bragging about their 28 gallon tuba, and looking down on someone who likes their 26 gallon tuba more
So it is written, so let it be done.... :bow2:

Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
matt g

Post by matt g »

bloke wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:47 pm ...OR: Is the closest that anyone has every come to "magic sizing" been when a different bottom bow and bell were made for a PT-6, and it magically became a PT-7...?? :bugeyes:
The PT-7P and VMI Mel Culbertson (rotary and piston) versions were definitely an example of where bell throat/bell ferrule doesn’t lend much clarity to the discussion. Having owned one of those, a monstrous Holton that predated the 345, and a 2165, those B&S/VMI horns don’t stack up even though the bell was pretty darn big. Plus, there’s probably a reason why PT-7Ps seem to be pretty rare, when the PT-6(P) offers about the same sound, more agility, and better intonation. But that’s another discussion.

I haven’t measured a 2xJ, but from what I can recall, the upper bow on those is a hair smaller than a 345.

Anyhow, if the double bass is where all of this referencing is coming from, then “grand orchestral” tubas would be 4/4 and something like the Miraphone 186 would be 3/4 and the small horns 1/2 or whatever.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
Dan Tuba

Post by Dan Tuba »

donn wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:35 pm So, no one ever shows up with a 6/4 Martin?

I was just now getting in a little practice on the tuba pictured above, and I had to stop and pull up the computer to make a suggestion. Small/medium/large/BAT may mean enough to be worth the trouble, or may not. I mean, is a tuba not "large"? Anything less than "large" seems like a bit of a compromise, and then BAT goes so far beyond reasonably large that it has to ascribe the "A" attribute to the instrument that it does not in reality have. Between these two there should perhaps be another category - "Just Right."
Nope, never seen a Martin 6/4 in the wild. But that tuba still wouldn't be larger, right? Cause if it is, I gotta do something about that. I'm kinda nervous now. I'm just talking about physical size, not bottom bows, too bows, etc, lol.
Conn 25J
Holton Monster 3+1 EEb
Faxx 24AW
peterbas

Post by peterbas »

bloke wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:42 am I’m not sure what a “monkey sandwich” is...(??)
Maybe, some people - who like to target/shadow selected subscribers, here, and pick random specious arguments about tuba stuff - are ~also~ cannibals...(??)
I don’t believe the ~term~ “piggy“ (as a size and shape of tuba) existed a hundred years ago, but neither did any of the math fractions that people tend to try to attach to tuba size ranges.
I have to admit to have never seen a 4/4 nor 5/4 tuba size designation until ~after~ I saw a Swiss maker advertise their CSO knock-off (four decades ago - the second knock-off ever made – after Holton) as “6/4“ - in the T.U.B.A. Journal.
I would love for someone to find that full-page ad, scan it, and - along with the date of publication - post than scan here. I distinctly remember raising my eyebrows at the use of a fraction - to describe a tuba’s size - in an advertisement.
======
otherwise:
“Getting all worked up and insulting when taking on mundane topics about nearly nothing at all” seems to be an effective method of trolling...Just check out the length of this post (though I’m going to have to wrap it up, because it’s about time to flush). 🤠
Maybe you should pay more attention to what is posted and stop making personal attacks to the poster.

Monkey sandwich is just a literal translation from the dutch 'broodje aap' meaning something like an urban myth.
Last edited by peterbas on Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peterbas

Post by peterbas »

KingTuba1241X wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:17 pm
So no debate but probably a typo or a reference to the bore, 21 mm, of the StPete.
I mean if you have as many kaisers as Uwe has you´re not going to miss that it is a rather small instrument. I´ve played mine besides to miraphones 190 and it looked ridiculously small. Nobody is going to call the StPete a 6/4.
I remember having a long personal discussion with Uwe and he stuck to his guns that they are 6/4 horns, which is false.
Strange thing, a blind man can see that it isn't a big tuba at all. I own you some beers.

Last edited by peterbas on Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I believe I'm coming around to lost's way of thinking...
Size designations (as I pointed out - with so many variables in tuba design...or maybe lost first pointed it out...??) are pretty silly, and two in the same size range are likely to not sound/play at all the same.

That having been said, I may have found a 1/64th-size tuba...for my 1/64th-size monkey:

Otherwise, when others get all worked up over fractionally-significant things, it's still quite entertaining to watch.

...now: back to serious stuff... :eyes:
Last edited by bloke on Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

Enough monkeyshines!!

Some of us :eyes: are trying to learn something. :slap:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
matt g

Post by matt g »

@peterbas, interesting catalog page. What’s the date on that?
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
peterbas

Post by peterbas »

matt g wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:26 pm @peterbas, interesting catalog page. What’s the date on that?
No idea, I've got it from Uwe Schneider but there is only the picture and no text that I could find.
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

I think my Alex 163 is a 4/4 tuba.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

bort2.0 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:53 pm I think my Alex 163 is a 4/4 tuba.

good. I'm offering $149 per quarter.
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Confession -- in my mind, I say "four four," "five four", and "six four"
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

bort2.0 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:28 pm Confession -- in my mind, I say "four four," "five four", and "six four"
That's a whole different poll
Yep, I'm Mark
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

Isn’t 4/4 eight bits?? :red:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
lost

Post by lost »

matt g wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:11 pm Didn’t Hirsbrunner make a Kaiser BBb at the same time they copied the York?
This was my earlier point. If they considered their Kaiser 5/4, then an American piston horn they copied which is larger can only go to 6/4 based on comparison of volume.
J.W. York & Sons Performing Artist
http://www.YorkLoyalist.com
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

When a tuba is built 7 - 9 inches taller than another tuba (as the CSO York-style key-of-C lap sousaphones are often not much taller than three feet tall...37" tall seems common), the equivalent place in the expansion of the bugle of the taller one (compared to the shorter one) is necessarily going to occur (rather than "up top") around the area where the taller tuba's bottom bow ends...so the taller tuba's upper bow is going to necessarily be smaller diameter than the squatty CSO-style lap sousaphone's upper bow...though the taller one (where both straight bugles and laid out side-by-side) might be easily seen to sport just about as much overall bugle interior volume as the stubbier one.
Additionally, I doubt that an inch or two of bell pancake is going to add much interior volume (cubic inches/cubic centimeters/what-have-you) to a tuba.

This Hirsbrunner kaiser B-tuba is 44 inches tall with a 19" bell and am 807" valveset bore , and

this Miraphone kaiser B-tuba is about 45-1/2 inches tall, with a 17-3/8" bell diameter and a .835" valveset bore

again: if you look towards the small ends of the bottom bows of these very tall tubas, that's roughly the same place (in the overall bugle taper) where the apex of the top bow occurs in the key-of-C lap-sousaphones.

These kaiser B-tubas (to me) resemble huge "blown out" Miraphone 186 or Meinl-Weston 20 tubas, whereas the CSO York-style key-of-C lap sousaphones (to me) more resemble huge "blown out" and "cut-to-C" King 2341 tubas.

SUMMARIZING: It's a mistake to compare the upper bow of a tall kaiser B-tuba to the upper bow of a CSO key-of-C York-style lap sousaphone, notice that the lap sousaphone's upper bow is fatter, and - from that - determine that the entire instrument is fatter, because to do so is to look at two DIFFERENT percentage locations of the overall length in the tapers of those two instruments.

...but why is it that this entire thread continues to remind me of the works of Lewis Carroll...??

bloke "Drink me."
lost

Post by lost »

I get it.

I would *still* say that the volume in a lap sousaphone 6/4 tuba would exceed X Kaiser. The volume in the bell expands wider and the whole instrument expands faster regardless of how it's wrapped.

Apparently Hirsbrunner also believed this?
J.W. York & Sons Performing Artist
http://www.YorkLoyalist.com
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

lost wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:07 pmApparently Hirsbrunner also believed this?

I guess I don’t get your point - or how Hirsbrunner’s past beliefs change the fatness of various instruments which exist in the present.

I’m not arguing...I’m just missing the point...apparently some sort of if/then point.
the elephant

Post by the elephant »

LeMark wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:55 amMeasure internal volume, like they do engine blocks.
I have been preaching this for YEARS.
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Discussion of tuba sizing

Post by Rick Denney »

Okay, guys.

The quarter system was a way for any one company to distinguish instruments in their own product line. All Rudi Meinl rotary tubas are similarly configured, and their dimensionless ratios are sort-of similar. So, the 6/4 Rudi has a bigger bell, a bigger bore, a bigger throat, more volume, and a taller stack than a 5/4 Rudi. It isn’t just the 22” bell versus the 20” bell, but everything is bigger. Within the Rudi line, the quarter system applies to all dimensions, not just a few.

But RM’s idea of the standard full-size tuba is different than Miraphone’s, which is different than Alexander, which is different than Meinl-Weston.

I own a Hirsbrunner HBS-193 (pictured by Combatant B above), and also a Holton 345. The Holton is about five inches shorter, but it has a bigger throat and more volume. The sound is bottomless. The sound of the 193 is powerful. It’s like comparing a Bentley—a very large car with sporting intentions, to a Humvee, a tank with tires instead of tracks. Neither will get you quickly around a race track. But both support such different use cases that sharing a size designation beyond “big” is a fool’s errand. The Hirsbrunner is a Kaiser, which implies a range of characteristics common do all large and tall rotary tubas. The Rudi 5/4 is also a Kaiser, in my considered opinion. The Rudi 6/4 should be called a Döppelkaiser.

The Holton is a grand orchestral tuba, in the sense that the original 36J was called the Orchestra Grand Bass. It definitely has more volume, but the sound is different rather than greater.

The use of impedance is an interesting idea. Impedance is frequency-dependent resistance. Resonance implies low impedance, but there’s more to it than that. In the world of loudspeakers, the propagation and resonance of the speaker can be measured as a function of amplitude, decay, and direction. It avoids room effects by measuring single waveforms before reflections make it back to the test microphone. Equally interesting is measuring speakers in the room to see how the room affects resonance and frequency response. Propagation pattern is important—reflected paths arrive at the ear later than direct paths, and in a reverberant room, you’ll get a lot of phase cancellation and comb filtering in the upper harmonics relative to the lower ones. Reverberant rooms will favor clean articulations, fast attacks, higher harmonics, and direction propagation, while deader rooms will favor wide dispersion, lower harmonics, and smoother attacks.

Here’s a spectral decay plot showing where a loudspeaker resonates (bad) or nulls (also bad) across the frequency spectrum. These speakers are decent cheapies.

It’s not specifically useful for measuring tubas, which are intended to be resonant. But it’s more interesting than the simple Fourier transform frequency display like the one I used to measure tuba sound back in the deeps of time.

Here is a way to picture frequency response in a room. This room is fairly dead, but the waviness is caused by reflections out of phase with the main signal at some frequencies—the comb effect. The farther the test microphone is from the sound producer, the more it measures room effects. I’m going to play with this software to see if I can use it for measuring tuba sound. I think propagation has as much effect as harmonic content, but in a live hall, those two attributes are linked, sometimes to good effect and sometimes not. That more than anything drives preferences of those who make their decisions more thoughtfully that buying the currently hip thing.

By the way, here’s a Rudi 5/4 C tuba next to a Holton BB-345.

Differences are easy enough to see.

Rick “not at home, so having to file this away for a future project” Denney

Last edited by Rick Denney on Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.