Amusing observation from the lockdown

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
BopEuph

Amusing observation from the lockdown

Post by BopEuph »

I've had other long stints of no practicing when other things are going on, but I took a break from tuba around June/July. Gigs are slowly coming back, so I'm working on my chops again (incidentally, after a few days back, I actually feel BETTER than I did when I left the horn).

Obviously, the valves were frozen, but not so bad as to keeping my bare hands from freeing them up. Pulled out the first valve of the Conn, and the felt under the cap started falling apart in chunks.

Some of it is still there, but each time I oil the valve, another chunk comes out.

I'll swing by a brass repair friend's house next week, but I've never seen felts dry out like that before. Anyone else ever experience that?

Funny enough, the Conn's valves were easier to free up than the Kanstul's. I imagine it's because there's a lot more play in the much older horn.

Nick
(This horn list more to remind me what I have than to brag)
1984 Conn 12J
1990s Kanstul 900-4B BBb
1924 Holton 122 Sousa
1972 Holton B300 Euph
If you see a Willson 2900, serial W2177, it's been missing for a long time. Help me bring it home.
Dylan King
Has thanked: 0

Re: Amusing observation from the lockdown

Post by Dylan King »

Next time you put the horn on the shelf for an extended period, try putting Marvel Mystery Oil on the valves. They'll still move freely after even years of sitting.

https://youtu.be/Dcp4O77DfPo
KingTuba1241X

Post by KingTuba1241X »

Gigs are slowly coming back,
Not in my state, heck..there probably won't be rehearsals for another year at minimum if ever.
06' Miraphone 187-4U
iiipopes

Post by iiipopes »

With schools locked down here and there, you might be able to get your tuba in and out quick at your local tech to refresh the felts and corks. Every player should do this anyway every few years to make sure you get it before it lets go and to maintain the proper vertical alignment of the ports.
Jupiter JTU1110
"Real" Conn 36K
Klier 4B Classic
pjv

Post by pjv »

I find it easier just to remove the valves and slides of any horn getting shelved for longer periods. Saves me from a lot of misery
Yorkboy

Post by Yorkboy »

pjv wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:16 pm I find it easier just to remove the valves and slides of any horn getting shelved for longer periods. Saves me from a lot of misery
Technically, a good idea, but I hope you are better organized than I - that's a great way to lose them.... :wall:
BopEuph

Post by BopEuph »

[/quote]
Dylan King wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:04 pm Next time you put the horn on the shelf for an extended period, try putting Marvel Mystery Oil on the valves. They'll still move freely after even years of sitting.
Ooh, I didn't know this! I'm going to have to start that! By the way, agreed on sriracha.
KingTuba1241X wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:34 pm
Gigs are slowly coming back,
Not in my state, heck..there probably won't be rehearsals for another year at minimum if ever.
It's actually bittersweet. Still should stay home, but I have no choice when it comes to any form of income. That being said, it's being thought that things will start to come back to a semblance of normalcy by April...and even more normal towards the summer.
iiipopes wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:14 am With schools locked down here and there, you might be able to get your tuba in and out quick at your local tech to refresh the felts and corks. Every player should do this anyway every few years to make sure you get it before it lets go and to maintain the proper vertical alignment of the ports.
A buddy is a brass repair guy. I can make an afternoon out of it, and I'm going to sit with him and figure out a solution to this new alphorn case that doesn't have separate compartments for two of the 3 sections.
Yorkboy wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:32 pm
pjv wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:16 pm I find it easier just to remove the valves and slides of any horn getting shelved for longer periods. Saves me from a lot of misery
Technically, a good idea, but I hope you are better organized than I - that's a great way to lose them.... :wall:
Or damage them...which is something I would do. 10x10 room, 2 tubas, a cello, alp horn, 2 trombones, an upright bass...and around 15 electric basses and two amps. And the large desk and computer. Just not enough room!
Nick
(This horn list more to remind me what I have than to brag)
1984 Conn 12J
1990s Kanstul 900-4B BBb
1924 Holton 122 Sousa
1972 Holton B300 Euph
If you see a Willson 2900, serial W2177, it's been missing for a long time. Help me bring it home.
pjv

Post by pjv »

Then it looks like you’re doomed to oiling your valves on a regular basis.