Had a lesson

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Ricardo

Had a lesson

Post by Ricardo »

So, it had been a long time since I had a one on one lesson with a pro. Decided I should have one.

I was having problems in the low register on just a few notes. Play a Compensated Bb tuba. Feel like I was shifting emboucheres in the low range 4 + 2 down to 4 + 2+ 3 and just not nailing the notes, particularly when moving to those notes. Yet 4 + 1+3 was great, so just a specific area of the low range.

But the teacher was telling me to do the same things my last teacher from 20 years ago was saying and working on. Basically smooth controlled air. But I wasn’t doing it well.

As a result of the lesson my playing and most importantly awareness has improved. So I suggest any amateurs, which is what I am, have a lesson or two. It really helps, even if we think we know what to do we probably aren’t doing it very well, particularly if we have a problem area in our playing.

tclements
Has thanked: 0

Re: Had a lesson

Post by tclements »

As a person who has been a full time player since the 1980s, it is a great idea to take some lessons ANYWAY! I spent a week with Jan Kagarice, a week with Patrick Sheridan, and a week with Warren Deck (took a lesson with Baadsvik and Scott Sutherland, too). It is NEVER too late to go play for someone and get some touch ups and learn something new.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I guess this could be rated as a non sequitur, but – based on what you said - I can’t help but wonder if the second piston is leaky.
Furguson11
Has thanked: 0

Post by Furguson11 »

Ricardo wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:07 am But the teacher was telling me to do the same things my last teacher from 20 years ago was saying and working on. Basically smooth controlled air. But I wasn’t doing it well.
Somewhat similar discovery for me, though I rediscovered the wonder of smooth controlled air after a covid break through the use of a new Schlipf practice mute. You can't really cheat one of those and get any sort of good sound.

Plus now I can practice while my wife is working.
sdloveless

Post by sdloveless »

I had a few lessons with Grant Moore back in September and October. Circumstance, travel, proximity to sick people, and whole host of other shenanigans put them on hold. Well, I'll be starting up again tonight right after work. Plans are for every other Monday. Fingers crossed!
Scott Loveless
Pennsylvania, USA
1939 King 1240, JP179B
"When life knocks you down, stay there and take a nap."