Tablet Holder Recommendation

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
hup_d_dup
Has thanked: 0

Tablet Holder Recommendation

Post by hup_d_dup »

What is your experience with tablet holders? Seeking recommendation. Quality more important than price.

I'm going to be using it with an iPad 12" if that makes any difference.

Hup

Yes, I play tuba. What else is there to say?
bloke
Mid South Music

Re: Tablet Holder Recommendation

Post by bloke »

probably a stupid question, but...

Do those things weigh much more than a marching band flip chart (when loaded up - fronts/backs) with charts?

Should someone design a "tablet holder" to fit in a (larger gauge, such as Yamaha-size) lyre holder?
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

Are you clipping it to a mic stand?
Yep, I'm Mark
hup_d_dup

Post by hup_d_dup »

LeMark wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:27 pm Are you clipping it to a mic stand?
I don't know. Is that a good way to hold it?

Hup
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

Yeah, there are a lot of tablet holders out there designed for mic stands. I wanted to ask before I recommended something
Yep, I'm Mark
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

I've used this one with good results

Yep, I'm Mark
ronr

Post by ronr »

I tried one of the clip-on stands from the company that makes page-turning pedals ( can’t think of the name right now) but I didn’t think it was terribly stable and I couldn’t get used to how geeky it looked. Went back to using a Manhasset and taking the tablet off the stand when I wasn’t right there with it.
2013 J Packer 379 Bbb
1905 York Helicon
1960 Reynolds Contempora Sousaphone
2022 Wessex fiberglass sousaphone
hup_d_dup

Post by hup_d_dup »

ronr wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:46 pm Went back to using a Manhasset and taking the tablet off the stand when I wasn’t right there with it.
Do you have any ideas about how the tablet might be secured to the stand?

I like the idea of a conventional stand because it allows extra objects like pencils or paper, but I also like the concept of a dedicated clamp-style holder for the safety of the tablet.

Hup
Doc

Post by Doc »

hup_d_dup wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:38 am
ronr wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:46 pm Went back to using a Manhasset and taking the tablet off the stand when I wasn’t right there with it.

I like the idea of a conventional stand because it allows extra objects like pencils or paper, but I also like the concept of a dedicated clamp-style holder for the safety of the tablet.

Hup
I've been putting mine on a folding music stand because I already have one, but I've been thinking of getting this:

Lyx Pro Tablet Holder. It can be clamped to a stand, or it can be screwed onto the top of a mic stand.
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
Lch3

Post by Lch3 »

For what it’s worth, I’ve been using an iPad Pro for 5 years with multiple groups (lots of exposure) just placing it on the stand - usually a K&M wire stand (heavier stand for outdoors) with no issues. I do have it in a high end protective sleeve You could probably use velcro to secure the tablet-in-a-sleeve to the stand when in use.
grayax

Post by grayax »

Hercules makes two different kinds, though I have never had a tablet to use for music.
TubātōTubŏtō

Post by TubātōTubŏtō »

bloke wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:12 pm probably a stupid question, but...

Do those things weigh much more than a marching band flip chart (when loaded up - fronts/backs) with charts?

Should someone design a "tablet holder" to fit in a (larger gauge, such as Yamaha-size) lyre holder?
I think a lyre mounted system would be pretty clunky with the larger, 12.9” iPad, but an 11” like mine only weighs 1lbs. That seems roughly equivalent in weight to your average pep band flip folder, and significantly less floppy... realistically, I don’t think the 12.9 would be difficult either. It’s only about a half pound heavier, it would just run the risk of looking absolutely ridiculous because of it’s mammoth footprint.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

TubātōTubŏtō wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:39 am

I think a lyre mounted system would be pretty clunky with the larger, 12.9” iPad, but an 11” like mine only weighs 1lbs. That seems roughly equivalent in weight to your average pep band flip folder, and significantly less floppy... realistically, I don’t think the 12.9 would be difficult either. It’s only about a half pound heavier, it would just run the risk of looking absolutely ridiculous because of it’s mammoth footprint.
Thanks for the reply...
' seems as though it may be time for "flip folios" (5X7 electronic tablets...??) to come into the 21 century...
ronr

Post by ronr »

hup_d_dup wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:38 am

Hup
Velcro, or get a stand that will accept a magnet and use a case with a magnetic closure. They hold on tight to the stand.
2013 J Packer 379 Bbb
1905 York Helicon
1960 Reynolds Contempora Sousaphone
2022 Wessex fiberglass sousaphone
kingrob76

Post by kingrob76 »

I've been on this bandwagon for 2 years now, and I'm never going back. I use an iPad Pro 12.9" first generation tablet. I'm going to describe how *I* set myself up and why. It's important to note that protection of the iPad was the most important and overriding consideration.

The first thing I did was identify a case for the iPad that provided impact and water protection. I settled on the Griffin Survivor All-Terrain iPad because it had a hard inner shell wrapped by a soft silicone case and met MILSPEC drop and weather standards. I don't know if you can find one any more, but the Otterbox Defender is available and almost as good. Whatever you pick, it needs to offer drop protection and preferably protection from rain and other moisture-related issues. In two years, both have come up more than once.

Then, I bought a SlipGrip case that had a microphone stand mount (https://www.slipgripcarmounts.com/iPad- ... 30460.html). These things are molded to a specific case (see their list), are easy to use, and have been damn near indestructible for me. The case stays put, iPad pops out easy peasy when I want it to, and mounts to a microphone stand with a ball head and a screw mount. I bought this one: (www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X9BL6TD/re ... UTF8&psc=1)

Then I got a collapsible tripod style telescoping mic stand. The type is less important, as long as you can screw mount the SlipGrip into the stand. I added a tray with a cup holder that clamps onto it, and added some rubberized shelf liner to the tray itself so it's quiet to put stuff on.

This setup has been GREAT for me. The case has survived being dropped, being knocked over, being rained on, etc. It breaks down to the size of a good folding stand and easily fits in my gym bag (which carries the iPad, bluetooth pedal, mouthpieces, oils, etc.)
Last edited by kingrob76 on Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob. Just Rob.
Dan Tuba

Post by Dan Tuba »

https://www.tonalinnovation.com/shop/eflip

Quite a few college marching bands are using either these, or something similar. They not only use their phones/tablets to read the music, but also to learn drill. Pyware 3d enables each member to see where they are on the field, where they are supposed to be, and/or a "big picture" view of the formation, as well as what the transitions between sets are supposed to look like. I personally haven't used this particular version of the program, but I first learned about it at Midwest, and from the Pride of Oklahoma marching band. According to their experience, it makes learning new drill each week much quicker and more efficiently than previous methods.

The lyre holders aren't perfect. They still have some quirks as reported by some of the current/former users. However, pretty cool that they are available!
Conn 25J
Holton Monster 3+1 EEb
Faxx 24AW
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Dan Tuba wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:21 pm

https://www.tonalinnovation.com/shop/eflip

Quite a few college marching bands are using either these, or something similar. They not only use their phones/tablets to read the music, but also to learn drill. Pyware 3d enables each member to see where they are on the field, where they are supposed to be, and/or a "big picture" view of the formation, as well as what the transitions between sets are supposed to look like. I personally haven't used this particular version of the program, but I first learned about it at Midwest, and from the Pride of Oklahoma marching band. According to their experience, it makes learning new drill each week much quicker and more efficiently than previous methods.
The lyre holders aren't perfect. They still have some quirks as reported by some of the current/former users. However, pretty cool that they are available!
:bugeyes: :smilie8: :thumbsup:
BopEuph

Post by BopEuph »

Hercules makes a great tablet clamp. I have one, but I still prefer a music stand when I can get away with it; you can now use it to hold everything in your pockets, as well as valve oil, without it getting in the way of the music.

Hercules is the only brand of stands I trust with everything. I use it when the bandleader's being difficult about the bassist "looking like he doesn't know the tunes," but when you bounce around so many different genres as a freelancer, it's difficult to memorize a one-off gig with a pickup band for a wedding.

For what it's worth, last I checked with the eFlip is that it only works with iPhones. I drew up a design and had a brass repair buddy put it together. It's basically a lyre with a custom clamp soldered to it. I've used it on some strolling caroling gigs the last few Decembers and it held my phone wonderfully.

I used iRealPro with it. I don't know that charts would be that legible on a cell phone.
Nick
(This horn list more to remind me what I have than to brag)
1984 Conn 12J
1990s Kanstul 900-4B BBb
1924 Holton 122 Sousa
1972 Holton B300 Euph
If you see a Willson 2900, serial W2177, it's been missing for a long time. Help me bring it home.
Doc

Post by Doc »

I use a FireFly with my iPad. Works flawlessly.
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!