Polka Music Repository- Post Your Recordings Here

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
prairieboy1

Re: Polka Music Repository- Post Your Recordings Here

Post by prairieboy1 »

Doc wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:58 pm Choctaw (OK) Oktoberfest 2018. After a long week and countless liters, they want the fast stuff. :smilie6:

Miraphone 181 6v GB
Blokepiece Solo #0

:smilie6: :bow2: Are you kidding me? Wow! :clap: :clap: :clap:

1916 Holton "Mammoth" 3 valve BBb Upright Bell Tuba
1935 King "Symphony" Bass 3 valve BBb Tuba
1998 King "2341" 4 valve BBb Tuba
1970 Yamaha "321" 4 valve BBb Tuba (Yard Goat)
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

This stuff is a lot of fun to listen to via Blue Tooth into you home audio system. :cheers:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
Doc

Post by Doc »

A classic Ernie Kucera tune from The Travelers. Live in New Braunfels, 2007.

Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
prairieboy1

Post by prairieboy1 »

A very nice tune that I had not heard before! :clap: :clap: :clap:
1916 Holton "Mammoth" 3 valve BBb Upright Bell Tuba
1935 King "Symphony" Bass 3 valve BBb Tuba
1998 King "2341" 4 valve BBb Tuba
1970 Yamaha "321" 4 valve BBb Tuba (Yard Goat)
Doc

Post by Doc »

prairieboy1 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:41 pm A very nice tune that I had not heard before! :clap: :clap: :clap:
One of his most popular tunes, for sure.
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
Doc

Post by Doc »

@prairieboy1

Here are three more...

Whoopee John’s theme song:

A popular Ray Dorschner tune:

A standard polka for bands everywhere:

Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
Doc

Post by Doc »

Polka band plays big band... One of my favorites that we play. From 2004 in Wahoo, NE. I never drank so much PBR in my life!

Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

PBR is OK but it's got to be real cold or else!!
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
Doc

Post by Doc »

Three Valves wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:21 am PBR is OK but it's got to be real cold or else!!
The other choices were Bud/Miller/Coors varieties (no original Coors, btw). I'd rather spend my money on dirty ditch water.

And the PBRs were cold enough.
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Here are three - all in one video - that I've played a few thousand times...

...and this might be enough for one viewing...

Sandlapper
Has thanked: 0

Post by Sandlapper »

Ok Doc,
I am suitably impressed. I've watched that video of the Beer Belly oops Barrel Polka a couple of times now. A most excellent demonstration of that Eastman EBB 562. There were tuba doodles in there that really made the piece shine. Just how high did you get at the end. Great sound out of the horn. Best demonstration of the 562 I've heard, well most fun anyway.
John
:bow2:
Doc

Post by Doc »

Sandlapper wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:23 pm Ok Doc,
I am suitably impressed. I've watched that video of the Beer Belly oops Barrel Polka a couple of times now. A most excellent demonstration of that Eastman EBB 562. There were tuba doodles in there that really made the piece shine. Just how high did you get at the end. Great sound out of the horn. Best demonstration of the 562 I've heard, well most fun anyway.
John
:bow2:
I hope it was, if nothing else, demonstrative of what the tuba can do.

That high note at the end is an Eb above the staff.

@Chris Olka ’s 562 video is absolutely top shelf. :bow2: You should check it out:

Mine is nowhere near his in quality of playing or demonstration, but at least mine is fun - you can drink beer, dance, sing, holler, and play along with mine. :teeth:

Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
SteveMarcus
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by SteveMarcus »

Some may posit that the horn is too big/tall, but I enjoyed playing the Wessex Kaiser with the pre-COVID "Happy Wanderers," "Roger's Happy Five" (or Seven as the host's budget permitted), and other Chicago area polka bands.

There's talk that a late Bruckner symphony may be scheduled next season by one of the orchestras in which I play. I've imagined what it would be like to play a Kaiser for this repertoire...but the schedule is hardly finalized at this time.

Steve Marcus
http://www.facebook.com/steve.marcus.88
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
Doc

Post by Doc »

SteveMarcus wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:04 pm Some may posit that the horn is too big/tall, but I enjoyed playing the Wessex Kaiser with the pre-COVID "Happy Wanderers," "Roger's Happy Five" (or Seven as the host's budget permitted), and other Chicago area polka bands.

There's talk that a late Bruckner symphony may be scheduled next season by one of the orchestras in which I play. I've imagined what it would be like to play a Kaiser for this repertoire...but the schedule is hardly finalized at this time.

If the Kaiser does what you need it to do, then it’s the right choice! And, of course, it’s the perfect choice when a big tuba is needed for Bruckner. :thumbsup:
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
BopEuph

Post by BopEuph »

Doc wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:58 pm Choctaw (OK) Oktoberfest 2018. After a long week and countless liters, they want the fast stuff. :smilie6:

Miraphone 181 6v GB
Blokepiece Solo #0

DUDE. I learned this tune years ago to sub with the German band at Disney, and none of the stable of tuba players plays it like this.

Are you reading a written bassline? I'd love to look at it if so, and learn to cop this feel. I know I could transcribe it, but I'm just being lazy.

Your melodies are so smooth and legato, when I try to play everything staccatissimo. I'm really digging this, and I learned a lot just by listening to these videos. Thanks for sharing!

Talking of horns, I like my Kanstul for this, but it's far too heavy, and polka gigs are all standing gigs for me. The 12J is actually kind of pleasant for this, too, since the high range can sound more like a euphonium and get that more traditional polka sound.

Do you have a recording of Schone Urlaubszeit? The only group I've heard do it with tuba is the Disney group, and I'm really wanting to hear a tuba player do it. I'm trying to wow them into bumping me up the sub list.
Nick
(This horn list more to remind me what I have than to brag)
1984 Conn 12J
1990s Kanstul 900-4B BBb
1924 Holton 122 Sousa
1972 Holton B300 Euph
If you see a Willson 2900, serial W2177, it's been missing for a long time. Help me bring it home.
Doc

Post by Doc »

BopEuph wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:29 pm
DUDE. I learned this tune years ago to sub with the German band at Disney, and none of the stable of tuba players plays it like this.

Are you reading a written bassline? I'd love to look at it if so, and learn to cop this feel. I know I could transcribe it, but I'm just being lazy.

Your melodies are so smooth and legato, when I try to play everything staccatissimo. I'm really digging this, and I learned a lot just by listening to these videos. Thanks for sharing!

Talking of horns, I like my Kanstul for this, but it's far too heavy, and polka gigs are all standing gigs for me. The 12J is actually kind of pleasant for this, too, since the high range can sound more like a euphonium and get that more traditional polka sound.

Do you have a recording of Schone Urlaubszeit? The only group I've heard do it with tuba is the Disney group, and I'm really wanting to hear a tuba player do it. I'm trying to wow them into bumping me up the sub list.
I only have a chord chart with no written notes. Parts are all made up as we go. The German groups are really the best for learning style (good luck getting a drummer to play correctly).

I use F tuba, and that would work if I had to stand. We play through a PA, so no need to move around- I sit on a drum throne. It is also the korrekt instrument to use in small blasmusik groups. I wouldn’t be too concerned about the 12J being small. Just play it!

I now have the helicon option, so that would work for standing. I just need a job to test it on. If it works well, I may add a wireless receiver to my setup for a little extra freedom. There will be some gigs before summer, so maybe I’ll have some recordings of that.

I don’t have a recording of Schöne Urlaubszeit. I’ll have to see if it’s in the library, as I don’t remember playing it. It’s a nice tune. We DO have a number of Oberkrainer tunes, so I’ll check. If we do, maybe we can put it on wax for you.

I found this:

Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
BopEuph

Post by BopEuph »

Thanks! Yeah, it's so counterintuitive to playing jazz, where the notes get a bit longer the more modern you go. I found some recordings where the baritone player was playing so short, you almost wonder if he was playing at all. I love that your fills are very unique; every tune I've studied, I've heard the bass voice largely play the same thing, as if it's a written part you're supposed to follow. But a more playful line...I'm going to dissect your playing!

As for miking, Epcot actually puts a handheld wireless Shure down the bell of the tuba with gaff tape. It sounds wonderful in the biergarten there, but it turns out it's more of a combination of an already great sounding room (albeit very noisy when guests are there), and the mic is actually very subtly in the PA for more punch with an extremely hard low pass filter set around 100hz. Just a perfect storm that won't work in like 99% of venues.

The main player has been playing a 2J there for years, and told me once that he would be forced to retire it soon as parts were getting harder and harder to source. I haven't been to the parks since my last gig there almost a year ago, but recent videos of him show him playing some very uncomfortable looking rotary C that I don't recognize.
Nick
1984 Conn 12J
1990s Kanstul 900-4B BBb
1924 Holton 122 Sousa
1972 Holton B300 Euph
If you see a Willson 2900, serial W2177, it's been missing for a long time. Help me bring it home.
Doc

Post by Doc »

BopEuph wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:29 pm
So... How do they play it?

Here are a few groups they should check out for stylistic cues:

Ernst Mosch (Ernst Hutter) und Die Egerlander Musikanten (Oswald Windrich, Moritz Schulze or Peter Laib)
Die Kleine Egerlander Musikanten
Blaskapelle Gloria (Pavel Bures)
Viera Blech (Josef Hofer)
Alpenblech (Florian Hanzelmann)
Da Blechauf'n (Albert Wieder)
Berthold Schick und seine Allgau 6 (Herbert Hornak)
Kaiser Muskanten (Mathias Haslinger)
WudaraMusi (Johann Schiestl, varies)
Last edited by Doc on Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
Doc

Post by Doc »

BopEuph wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:45 pm Thanks! Yeah, it's so counterintuitive to playing jazz, where the notes get a bit longer the more modern you go. I found some recordings where the baritone player was playing so short, you almost wonder if he was playing at all. I love that your fills are very unique; every tune I've studied, I've heard the bass voice largely play the same thing, as if it's a written part you're supposed to follow. But a more playful line...I'm going to dissect your playing!
You're very kind. I have lots of influences - many of the German players, plus American polka legends like Der Cammack, Joe Cada, Rudy Dvorak, Al Drage, and the very dear and departed Jimmy Dorschner. I'm also a bass player, and those two disciplines wind up in each others' camps. And you'll hear some "oh $#!+, where did that come from/that didn't work" also. :laugh:
As for miking, Epcot actually puts a handheld wireless Shure down the bell of the tuba with gaff tape. It sounds wonderful in the biergarten there, but it turns out it's more of a combination of an already great sounding room (albeit very noisy when guests are there), and the mic is actually very subtly in the PA for more punch with an extremely hard low pass filter set around 100hz. Just a perfect storm that won't work in like 99% of venues.
With a mic down the bell, the LPF is definitely a help (I'm generally not a fan of that tubby/woofy sound, and that is the 100% opposite sound you need in this music). If they would use a wireless instrument mic, they could forgo the LPF. But when you dine at their table, you drink their wine. And get paid.
The main player has been playing a 2J there for years, and told me once that he would be forced to retire it soon as parts were getting harder and harder to source. I haven't been to the parks since my last gig there almost a year ago, but recent videos of him show him playing some very uncomfortable looking rotary C that I don't recognize.
My thought is that you can make tuba sounds and don't have to be uncomfortable. And unless you're competing with other low voices, or you're in a really large group, a smaller, more comfortable tuba still sounds like a tuba. And it is more than enough when there is PA support.
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
BopEuph

Post by BopEuph »

Doc wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:43 am So... How do they play it?
Just fewer fills, R/5 movements with few walkups. So in general, simpler. Funny thing is, they're very good players in their own right, so it might be the bandleader's decision to play simpler.
Doc wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:56 am I'm also a bass player, and those two disciplines wind up in each others' camps. And you'll hear some "oh $#!+, where did that come from/that didn't work" also. :laugh:
Yep. Been there. As a bass major with a euph performance certificate, the best advice I was given by one of the local great bassists was to learn to play tuba and double my gigs.
Doc wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:56 amWith a mic down the bell, the LPF is definitely a help (I'm generally not a fan of that tubby/woofy sound, and that is the 100% opposite sound you need in this music). If they would use a wireless instrument mic, they could forgo the LPF. But when you dine at their table, you drink their wine. And get paid.
The thing is, the way we were talking about it is that it's likely not for volume, since the tuba is audible enough acoustically, but more to bring back some of the low end, plus throw some reverb on it for some sound enhancement. I think it's also a visual thing for Disney, too; the clip-on mic would be visually distracting.

I've tried this trick at home, and if anything over 100hz is playing, it's completely overdriven, even with gain all the way down. It's not the best sound design technique, but it's functional, especially if you're going for visuals.
Doc wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:56 amMy thought is that you can make tuba sounds and don't have to be uncomfortable. And unless you're competing with other low voices, or you're in a really large group, a smaller, more comfortable tuba still sounds like a tuba. And it is more than enough when there is PA support.
That makes sense. And I can play the 12J without any kind of harness.
Nick
1984 Conn 12J
1990s Kanstul 900-4B BBb
1924 Holton 122 Sousa
1972 Holton B300 Euph