I don't *need* this...

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
ken herrick
Has thanked: 0

Re: I don't *need* this...

Post by ken herrick »

I have watched you chase your dream and you got it. Is anybody stopping you exerecisisng that dream???

Pick the damned thing up and make some music - even if only on your own - a lot of people who would like to be in your position have little or no hope of getting to where you are. Brett, when you get to my stage of life, if you give away your dream, you will know "something is missing".

You've done the chase - enjoy the rewards.

iiipopes

Post by iiipopes »

bloke wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:37 pm I don’t want to have to deal with anything other than “the best”, because I am not a practice room horse.
Luckily for me, “the best” and “the most expensive” are not the same.
Hi will, however, refer you and others back to “the bloke rule”.
Is there an exception to "the bloke rule" for the pandemic shutting everything down?
Jupiter JTU1110
"Real" Conn 36K
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

iiipopes wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:22 am
bloke wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:37 pm I don’t want to have to deal with anything other than “the best”, because I am not a practice room horse.
Luckily for me, “the best” and “the most expensive” are not the same.
Hi will, however, refer you and others back to “the bloke rule”.
Is there an exception to "the bloke rule" for the pandemic shutting everything down?
I believe I addressed this previously - in this same thread - on the 24th at 6:05 PM.
Schlepporello

Post by Schlepporello »

Every time I pick up my Hagen I think I don't "need" a horn as nice as this, especially considering my lack of a practicing regiment or an actual paying gig. But it sure is nice to have one since I could afford one. I could have easily stayed with my 187, or have originally bought a 186 instead of a 187. And my York is realistically all I'd really ever "need". But I have what I have. I'll be happy with this nice stable of horns.
TubaForum.net Friendly Neighborhood Moderator
There are three things that I can never remember.
1)...................?
OK, make that four.
opus37
Been thanked: 0

Post by opus37 »

The question you should answer is, "does this tuba bring me pleasure (a smile to my face) when I play it?" if it does, you can afford it and you have space, then the answer is keep it. It's that simple. For more of us, playing tuba is not about need because we are not making a living by playing. We are doing it because we like to do it (aka it brings us pleasure). Bloke has rules and in most cases they are good advice. But Bloke's rules are for Bloke, not you. He makes a living playing and repairing tubas. You don't. Make your own rules. Now, get over it, play it once and awhile and be happy!
Brian
Woodbury, MN

1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

<SIDEBAR>
TFFJ wrote:Hey bloke,
I'd wager that - considering all of this "mess" - the cimbasso of yours is just sitting and sitting...
Actually,
I'm using it for an entire Eagles cover band pops concert in April, and (because I deem it appropriate) in the orchestral accompaniment of Liszt's *Totentanz in May. :smilie8:

</SIDEBAR>
Mark E. Chachich

Post by Mark E. Chachich »

Play it when you can, that includes practice because I think that most community bands are on hold. Community bands will probably be back, be happy that you have an excellent tuba that you can play in any type of group. Also, your tuba will not change because you are not able to play it in a group.

Mark
Life Member Baltimore Musician's Union Local 40-543
Life Member International Tuba Euphonium Association (ITEA)
Ph.D. Experimental Psychology, Behavioral Neuroscience (a musician can do almost anything!)
prairieboy1

Post by prairieboy1 »

opus37 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:51 am The question you should answer is, "does this tuba bring me pleasure (a smile to my face) when I play it?" if it does, you can afford it and you have space, then the answer is keep it. It's that simple. For more of us, playing tuba is not about need because we are not making a living by playing. We are doing it because we like to do it (aka it brings us pleasure). Bloke has rules and in most cases they are good advice. But Bloke's rules are for Bloke, not you. He makes a living playing and repairing tubas. You don't. Make your own rules. Now, get over it, play it once and awhile and be happy!
+1
1916 Holton "Mammoth" 3 valve BBb Upright Bell Tuba
1935 King "Symphony" Bass 3 valve BBb Tuba
1998 King "2341" 4 valve BBb Tuba
1970 Yamaha "321" 4 valve BBb Tuba (Yard Goat)
jerseyeuph

Post by jerseyeuph »

opus37 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:51 am The question you should answer is, "does this tuba bring me pleasure (a smile to my face) when I play it?" if it does, you can afford it and you have space, then the answer is keep it. It's that simple. For more of us, playing tuba is not about need because we are not making a living by playing. We are doing it because we like to do it (aka it brings us pleasure). Bloke has rules and in most cases they are good advice. But Bloke's rules are for Bloke, not you. He makes a living playing and repairing tubas. You don't. Make your own rules. Now, get over it, play it once and awhile and be happy!
^This.

I’m not a collector and have occasional periods where I purge what I feel I don’t need. My spouse asks me to resist, pointing out that I often (enough) replace the purged items months or sometimes years later. “Didn’t you own that one before?” We’re retired, financially secure and live modestly - i.e., well within our means. It isn’t about money, although replacement is generally more expensive. I just don’t like things to sit unused. I now only acquire instruments that I’m sure that I’ll keep knowing that, even if they sit for a while, I’ll likely play them again. I also donate any unloved horns that can be used by the local high school. There are only two horns left in that supply, so I’ve about reached an equilibrium where I’m happy with what I have and don’t ‘need’ or want anything else. The alphorn we’ve been discussing elsewhere would likely be my last horn purchase, if that even happens. I’m very interested, but could easily talk myself out of it. I guess I don’t really ‘need’ it then. :huh:
jonesbrass

Post by jonesbrass »

When had buying/owning a tuba *EVER* been about need? :teeth:
Willson 3050S CC, Willson 3200S F, B&S PT-10, BMB 6/4 CC, Yamaclone JFF-303
kingrob76

Post by kingrob76 »

Sell it.

You'll buy it back, eventually, as you make your "Buy All The Horns" World Tour, about 17 horns from now... :-D

In all seriousness, the only consideration for YOU needs to be "is this horn a better fit for me?". Given your purchase history I could argue you're a serial flipper of horns - which is fine - and you've got an itch that needs scratching. However, when also considering your purchase history consider how many of those horns didn't work for you, and why. I already know the last horn I will own - a 188. Right now, I'm not to the place and there are things I want to do acoustically and musically that are better done with other tools. For you, you see something that at present has no useful function but unless you're ready to walk away from playing altogether I would put the horn in the bag, put it in a safe place, and go about your day.
Rob. Just Rob.
Stryk

Post by Stryk »

Need? A 186 clone would do nicely for playing in a community band and a church orchestra. That's all I NEED. I've been able to hoard quite a few horns in the last few years, and it's fun. I don't have much in them, with the exception of two horns - and don't have an exorbitant amount in those. I trade some, give some away, loan some out to friends. It makes me happy and I can afford what little I have in them. So, for now, I will do what makes me happy and not worry about basic needs where tubas are concerned. That day will come quick enough when I go to the old folks home. :tuba:
Terry Stryker
Mirafone 186C, 186BBb, 184C, 186C clone
Gebr. Alexander New 163C, Vintage 163C, Vintage 163BBb
Amati 481C
Lyon & Healy 6/4
Kane Stealth tuba
A plethora of others....
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Terry,
If you ever make it up here - and something tells me you will - bring along that Jimbo copy of a Miraphone 80 F tuba. I’m not interested in buying it, but I would just like to see how close they came, just to satisfy my curiosity.😎
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Thanks everyone -- more thoughts here than I can reply to, but I do appreciate all of them.

TLDR --> I don't need to own a tuba in order to NOT play the tuba.

Another dimension to this -- perhaps it's a feeling of flexing my tuba inventory (albeit, an inventory of 1 tuba) to meet my needs. Right now, I have zero need. I'd prefer to NOT have zero tubas, but really, I've got no need for much of anything right now. I think I've played twice since... um... July?

When things open up for me tuba-wise later in life, I can re-evaluate and "staff up" to meet my needs. I don't need a fancy car to drive 10 miles per week, even if it feels amazing to use it once or twice per year for something more significant. Sure, it might cost more later. But I'm somewhat of a minimalist and in-the-moment person, and I can't live in "later." I see the tuba sitting there, and wonder why I even own it, if it's not being used. Honestly, it's not really about the money either.

I hate being an occasional tuba player -- I would rather do it for real, or not at all. I hate when it's a big deal that I'm playing my tuba. Nobody complains here in the house when I play, but it does become the world's most interesting thing for the kids, and I know it's loud and obtrusive to everyone else. I love it when the kids are interested, and I love to share that with them... but then my practice time becomes theirs. And then it's another kid activity. And then if I don't do that, I feel selfish for wanting time alone, and that I'm depriving them of seeing their dad do something that makes him happy.

It was a little easier before COVID, when I'd be the only person at home during the day, and I could sneak in some practice time. But even then, sitting around playing in my living room was only so good for so long. These days, there is zero alone time. Sometimes I think that if there's 10 minutes of non-consecutive personal time in a day, I think I'm doing pretty good.

To be real honest with myself though, COVID has little to do with me not playing. Because of life, kids, and grad school, I've played very little over the last 5 years. The next 5 years don't seem like they'll change a ton either. Of course I'd LIKE to play more than I do, but it's a low priority in my life right now, and that's not likely to change anytime soon. I say that to mean that I'm not complaining about not having time... it's more that when all of life's priorities are ranked for me, there are just too many things ahead of tuba (both by requirement and by choice) that it's fading into a memory of something that I used to do. And I'd rather do a few things really well than to do everything real halfass.

I'm not going to quit, that would be stupid. But I do think that my investment should line up better with my priorities.

So, all that, coupled with the general discomfort of having nice things... it's kind of a big brain-F to deal with.

As evidenced by my many purchases/sales over the years... I don't get attached. It's all just "stuff" and they've made plenty more.

Thanks for reading (if you read this).
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

bort2.0 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:42 pm
So, all that, coupled with the general discomfort of having nice things...
I have no problem with that.

I know the discomfort of not having nice things is worse. :smilie8:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

If you ONLY play at home, you can pick a tuba by ergonomics, the way it "feels" when you play it, the "type of sound" it emits...
Who cares about tuning? :smilie7:
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

I'm not going to quit, that would be stupid. But I do think that my investment should line up better with my priorities.
As evidenced by my many purchases/sales over the years... I don't get attached. It's all just "stuff" and they've made plenty more.
Brett,
Your quote above strikes me as sufficient logic. Do what's good for you. If you keep it and play it, great. If you store it, you're not out anything. If you purchase a lower level horn to scratch that itch, it'll be interesting. If you go hornless, there's always another when you're ready. If a few of us get together for a tuba Christmas small group, I'll bring you a spare.
It'll all work out. And you can always un-change a change.
Just keep us in the loop - your journey is of interest to many. Obviously.
Tim
MN_Tim
Lee Stofer Custom 2341-5
Miraphone 83 Eb
Miraphone 191-5 (formerly)
Holton BBb345 (formerly and fondly)
prairieboy1

Post by prairieboy1 »

MN_TimTuba wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:37 pm
Brett,
Your quote above strikes me as sufficient logic. Do what's good for you. If you keep it and play it, great. If you store it, you're not out anything. If you purchase a lower level horn to scratch that itch, it'll be interesting. If you go hornless, there's always another when you're ready. If a few of us get together for a tuba Christmas small group, I'll bring you a spare.
It'll all work out. And you can always un-change a change.
Just keep us in the loop - your journey is of interest to many. Obviously.
Tim
+1
1916 Holton "Mammoth" 3 valve BBb Upright Bell Tuba
1935 King "Symphony" Bass 3 valve BBb Tuba
1998 King "2341" 4 valve BBb Tuba
1970 Yamaha "321" 4 valve BBb Tuba (Yard Goat)
Heavy_Metal

Post by Heavy_Metal »

I went through something like this........

When my Alex became available, I had gotten to where I could come reasonably close to @Mark E. Chachich 's Alex sound with my Sonora, at least good enough for the band we play in. He's principal, so my job was (and is) to follow his lead. But I knew the real thing would work better, and I could afford to not only buy my Alex but also to get the valves overhauled a couple years later. At the same time, our third player who isn't on this board yet, bought Dave Bragunier's old Alex. So our Section sounds mostly like one big Alex, which has been noted at several band festivals.

Right now, the only playing I'm able to do has been some virtual band projects, so most of my stable hasn't been played for a while. Not to worry- once this pandemic is over, I'm sure we'll be back at it.

So @bort2.0 , don't second-guess your Alex. Embrace it. Practice as much as you're able, and when the time comes, you and it will be ready to shine.

:tuba: :tuba: :tuba:
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Thanks everyone, truly appreciate the input!

I dunno, maybe part of the constant buying/selling tubas was to keep myself interested? Or, just to reap the benefits of just not being attached to anything in particular.

Tim -- I doubt I'd ever go horn-less; I can't stomach the thought of that. But a reduction in investment (like that newer King 2341 from CL) would easily meet ALL my needs, and then some.

Frank -- it's never been about not liking the Alex, oh, it's a fantastic tuba! Just the feeling of being able to accomplish the same tasks with less of an investment.

Another similar reminder came up the other day -- I had been shopping for a snowblower this winter. When I bought my house last year, it had an old Toro sitting in the garage ("included"). Bone dry, hadn't been run in years. Looks "okay" physically, probably from the late 80s. I figured it was time for an upgrade, but wasn't too excited about spending $$$ for a new one. So, I finally unearthed it from the corner of the garage, put some gas in it, and gave it a go... and it turned over immediately, and works just fine! I mean... not the quietest or the safest snowblower (no safety release -- ack), but it makes short work of these 1-3" nuissance snows that happen all winter long. I'd love something quieter and safer. And the time for that will come (when it's the kids' job to clear the snow). But for now, I'll be careful and wear hearing protection and forego something more expensive. And if that old snowblower stops working, I'm not all that likely to replace it in the near term as well.