Homemade 5th valve conversion from left hand to right hand?

Projects, repair topics, and Frankentubas
sidenius
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Homemade 5th valve conversion from left hand to right hand?

Post by sidenius »

I'm going to have my tech move the 5th valve left hand operation to right hand thumb on my Meinl Weston 37.
He is the only one in Denmark who can do this modification and he is extremely busy all the time.

While waiting for that I thought of making a temporary conversion myself.

I know that several tubists have had this kind of conversion made, but has anybody tried to make a temporary DIY solution?

Bertil

iiipopes

Re: Homemade 5th valve conversion from left hand to right hand?

Post by iiipopes »

Unless you are really good at mechanical items, you risk that, once your tech can get to it, that you have to pay double: 1) for undoing what you do, and 2) rebuilding it as you like it. (Voice of experience) Please consider waiting until your tech can get to it.
Jupiter JTU1110
"Real" Conn 36K
Klier 4B Classic
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

The easiest thing to do is to acquire a reverse stop arm...OR alter the oem stop arm to “reversed“, grind off the finger spatula (or leave it there), braze on a post straight up from the finger spatula’s hinge rod with a 3mm female thread in the top of it, attach a long rod with 3mm threaded links on both ends, and hook that rod to a thumb lever assembly.
The nicer all of that is done, the more original it will look.
The thing is, this would be “permanent“ as well as “good“.
marccromme

Post by marccromme »

bloke wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:21 pm The easiest thing to do is to acquire a reverse stop arm...OR alter the oem stop arm to “reversed“, grind off the finger spatula (or leave it there), braze on a post straight up from the finger spatula’s hinge rod with a 3mm female thread in the top of it, attach a long rod with 3mm threaded links on both ends, and hook that rod to a thumb lever assembly.
The nicer all of that is done, the more original it will look.
The thing is, this would be “permanent“ as well as “good“.
Boy, I love your fine explanation. Now we all can visualize it crystal clear. Nobody can miss this project, equipped with a hacksaw!!! :smilie2: