Martin Euphonium, Trombones, and Trumpet

Read forum rules before posting.
Forum rules
This is for buying or selling your personal equipment, but sponsored selling is allowed as well. We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Price, (even for trades) Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories) need to be included in the ad, or at least be very clear in link provided. It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay Auctions, but Buy it now listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
MartinMan
Has thanked: 0

Martin Euphonium, Trombones, and Trumpet

Post by MartinMan »

UPDATE: Descriptions of sold items deleted, some prices reduced, and parts and mouthpieces moved to separate thread

Open to offers on all listed items

Normally, I like to give much more thorough descriptions (i.e. complete sentences, and very detailed description of each horn and its flaws and features) but because of the sheer volume of stuff here, I've kept everything down to a bare minimum description. I'm happy to elaborate more though PM or email, though: Sousaphone9@gmail.com

Euphoniums:
-Martin Long Model Euphonium ('17) 3-valve top-action, silver, Besson leadpipe with large shank receiver, original case
Valves work but still with good compression, new valve guides, springs felts and corks (can also include a disassembled tuning trigger)
$850
Pictures: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Trombones:
-Martin Committee Trombone (50s) Original case in good condition, some minor wear o the lacquer throughout but otherwise in great shape, and excellent playing condition
-$650

-Martin Handcraft Western Trombone (20s) Silver with gold wash bell
Tuning in the handslide, in good playing condition, plating in great condition features both bell and slide locks, original case
-$500

Trumpets:
-Indiana Troubadour trumpet (30s) Restored silver finish (gold wash bell), replated valves, and patch on bell crook
Everything is in excellent restored condition on this horn, original case
-$600

Pictures of all trumpets: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Last edited by MartinMan on Fri May 31, 2024 8:05 pm, edited 19 times in total.

Mene
Been thanked: 0

Re: Huge Spring Cleaning: Martin Tubas, Euphs, Bones, Trumpets and More

Post by Mene »

Where are you located?
MartinMan

Post by MartinMan »

Mene wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:07 am Where are you located?
Sorry, meant to include that in the original post.

I'm located in Champaign, Illinois. I'm willing to ship smaller stuff like trumpets, trombones, and the mouthpieces, but would like to avoid shipping on the low brass if at all possible. I'm Willing to drive to neighboring states to meet halfway if practical.
LargeTuba

Post by LargeTuba »

Really temping.... And you're close. Must resist :wall:
Pt-6P, Holton 345 CC, 45slp
MartinMan

Post by MartinMan »

LargeTuba wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:14 pm Really temping.... And you're close. Must resist :wall:
Not to add to the temptation because, as someone recovering from gear acquisition syndrome, I understand. However I will be giving HEAVY preference to local buyers.
York-aholic

Post by York-aholic »

FA7D64FD-867D-4881-99A0-89AFE93AAF70.jpeg
FA7D64FD-867D-4881-99A0-89AFE93AAF70.jpeg (105.03 KiB) Viewed 3316 times
Some old Yorks, Martins, and perhaps a King rotary valved CC
MartinMan

Post by MartinMan »

I aught to get one of those streetsigns for my studio, huh?
greenbean
Damn good stuff

Post by greenbean »

I used to own one of those Martin Magna bass trombones. Very cool horn that played well. The valve mechanism and linkage are unique and very comfortable. I think it was influenced by German bass trombones. 9" bell, .536 bore, I think. Sounded great.

Tom Rice
www.superfinecases.com
Currently playing...
1973 Mirafone 184 BBb
1972 Böhm & Meinl Marzan BBb
MartinMan

Post by MartinMan »

greenbean wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:14 pm I used to own one of those Martin Magna bass trombones. Very cool horn that played well. The valve mechanism and linkage are unique and very comfortable. I think it was influenced by German bass trombones. 9" bell, .536 bore, I think. Sounded great.
An interesting design indeed, with the bumpers actually located underneath the rotor cap. While the linkage is a bit noisy on this particular horn, I agree it does sound great.
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

I almost bought one of those Magna's off eBay last year sometime. Ended up buying a Duo Gravis instead. And have literally never played a single note on it. The Magna looks sweetz but the same date is all but certain! :bugeyes:
Kirley

Post by Kirley »

greenbean wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:14 pm I used to own one of those Martin Magna bass trombones. Very cool horn that played well. The valve mechanism and linkage are unique and very comfortable. I think it was influenced by German bass trombones. 9" bell, .536 bore, I think. Sounded great.
Tom, do you mean .563 bore?

They don't even let anything smaller than .547 into orchestras these days, and that's for tenors!
MartinMan

Post by MartinMan »

Kirley wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:12 pm
Tom, do you mean .563 bore?

They don't even let anything smaller than .547 into orchestras these days, and that's for tenors!
I can measure later today and verify, but I do think it is a smaller-than-standard bore as far as modern bass trombones go. So I guess it'd be considered more like a large bore tenor by today's standards. I actually kinda like it. It definitely has a bass trombone sound, but doesn't fell like a big horn when playing it, sort of like the best of both worlds, in a way if that's the feel you're going for.
bort2.0 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:13 pm I almost bought one of those Magna's off eBay last year sometime. Ended up buying a Duo Gravis instead. And have literally never played a single note on it. The Magna looks sweetz but the same date is all but certain! :bugeyes:
Tel ya what Bort, take one of the mammoths home and I could be convinced to throw in that bass bone for cheap. :smilie8:
grayax

Post by grayax »

It is definitely. 536. I used to own one. I once tried to put my outer slide over that of a Bach 42B inner slide and it would go. I tried to use mine in concert band in college (the one for any warm body that walked in), but was constantly overpowered (I was usually the only bass in a band of about 90). I always went back to using a dual rotor Reynolds for the extra power. I ended up selling my Martin and getting a Reynolds about 20 years later.

The quality of sound was never in question, but it never had enough volume. I was using (still am) a Bach 1-¼H which made the extreme low end a bit stuffy. I wonder how it would have fared with something smaller like a 2G.
MartinMan

Post by MartinMan »

Sousa, parts baritone, and Rudy mouthpiece are now sold
Everything else is still available!
MartinMan

Post by MartinMan »

Another horn enters the fray!

A Martin Handcraft "Western" Trombone: $600
This horn is really interesting from a design standpoint, with tuning in the handslide, a slide lock on the bottom slide tube, and a turn-screw bell lock. It also has a very elegant-looking counterweight on the back of the bell crook which I really like. The tuning in the slide does make the slide heavy, so I wouldn't use this for something that requires a lot of fast movement, but the slide is in good shape considering the age, original silver plate is all there except for wear on the slide grips, and the gold was on the bell is faded, but still visible. sounds great with a bigger-than-you'd-expect , very smooth sound. includes the original case, however it's in pretty poor condition.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Tubajug

Post by Tubajug »

You might need to check your sharing settings, it won't let me see it.
Jordan
King 2341 with Holton Monster Eb Bell
King/Conn Eb Frankentuba
Pan AmeriConn BBb Helicon
Yamaha YBB-103

"No one else is placed exactly as we are in our opportune human orbits."
MartinMan

Post by MartinMan »

Tubajug wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:01 pm
You might need to check your sharing settings, it won't let me see it.
Thanks for the heads up. Here's an updated link that should work:

MartinMan

Post by MartinMan »

Imperial trumpet is sold!
All other horns still available unless stated so in the post.
I'm open to offers on most everything listed here, and would entertain trades or partial trades for other Martins or similar horns, so if you have something that fits that bell, feel free to reach out.
Happy belated Tuba Day!
MartinMan

Post by MartinMan »

The top action mammoth has been spoken for, however the Wessex upright bell is still available for $500

All other horns and accessories are also still available unless otherwise noted in the ad
MartinMan

Re: Huge Spring Cleaning: Martin Euphs, Bones, Trumpets and More

Post by MartinMan »

Front-action mammoth has officially sold!

The tubas may be gone, but there's still plenty of other horns available, so feel free to reach out.