Which tubas would you take with you?

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
York-aholic

Which tubas would you take with you?

Post by York-aholic »

I've been meaning to write this up for a month or so. Glad I procrastinated until now... :laugh:

I live in the mountains/forest in southern California. We evacuated for two weeks due to fires in 2003 and 2007. We've had a long stretch without any evacuations.

That stretch came to an end on July 3rd of this year. At about 3pm a fire started about halfway up our mountain range in the section right below our neighborhood. At 5:30ish we left the house in a car, truck and horse trailer with 2 cats, 3 dogs, 2 horses and 5 tubas. :smilie3:

If you were in a similar situation and currently have more than one tuba (or perhaps pretend you still possessed all of the tubas you've ever owned), which ones would you take with you?

Digressing from tuba topic: :smilie7:

This picture was taken from air attack (the plane directing the tankers) after they'd got it pretty much knocked down (we actually left the horses at a stables down the mountain and were back home by 9:30PM). You can see the wing tip towards the upper right. Our house is about halfway between that wingtip and the highest line of red retardant (which went across someone's back porch deck!):

Here is a picture while in the thick of things:

Those pilots are amazing. It's a given that flying that low over 'not flat/smooth' terrain must be incredibly difficult. Then you add in that the heat from the fires can create up drafts as well as the visibility issues that the smoke brings with it... On BIG fires, the heat produced can actually create its own weather. The pilots are absolutely incredible!

Okay, back on topic. Which of your current or past tubas would you take if evacuating?
Last edited by York-aholic on Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Some old Yorks, Martins, and perhaps a King rotary valved CC
York-aholic

Re: Which tubas would you take with you?

Post by York-aholic »

I suppose I should start.

Here are the horns I took with me, in order of priority and of loading:

1) 1935 King rotary valve CC
2) 1928 York 6/4 4v front action, fixed recording bell <--- I can't wait for community bands to start playing again! :laugh:
3) 1958 USN Martin Mammoth (special order for DC band w/main slide tuning lever as mentioned in Don Stauffer's book)

Those had top priority as they are pretty 'uncommon'.

Since I had time and space:

4) 1940 York 702 (3v front action) fixed upright bell converted into 712 by way of a 4v cluster from a York Master <---- I really enjoy playing this horn
5) 1920ish York 15" tall bell Eb that I flipped to 4+1 front action by way of two King 1240 clusters and a Miraphone 183 Eb rotor <---- This is also a really fun horn to play, sort of a big euphonium on steroids with a really kickin' low range, right down to its pedal Eb
tubanews
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by tubanews »

I don't have tubas that can't be replaced. So my answer is none.

But if I did have ones that couldn't be replaced my answer would still be none.

"That's just like my opinion man"
Wessex Chicago York
Schlepporello

Post by Schlepporello »

If I was able to rescue 1 without putting anyone's lives at risk, it would be my Hagen. If space was limited, it would have to be the Zo.
TubaForum.net Friendly Neighborhood Moderator
There are three things that I can never remember.
1)...................?
OK, make that four.
York-aholic

Post by York-aholic »

I should mention, all vehicles were packed and ready to go before the evacuation order came down. In fact, we were part way down the mountain when we got the reverse 911 call to evacuate. We left early because of the horses; when stressed they tend to be hard to load into the trailer. The vast majority of the neighborhood didn't evacuate at all.
HoltonMammoth

Post by HoltonMammoth »

tubanews wrote:I don't have tubas that can't be replaced. So my answer is none.

But if I did have ones that couldn't be replaced my answer would still be none.

"That's just like my opinion man"

and a good one. I would probably grab one tuba if I had any gigs on the horizon. With Covid 19, I have no gigs at all.
Pauvog1

Post by Pauvog1 »

If space was limited I would take my MRP F tuba, otherwise it and the Kalison DS are going with me (those are the two in the stable now, they were both upgrades from what I had before, so if I still owned them all, those are the two).
MW 2155
PT-18p (MRP)
JP 274 MKII
For sale
Laskey 30G, American shank https://tubaforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=9 ... 2f1502a4d7
Giddings Baer CC Euro shank https://tubaforum.net/viewtopic.php?p=96137#p96137
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I'd grab the F tuba, the German-made piston C tuba, the Besson comp-E-flat, the euphonium, and the kaiser baritone...and toss them in the work van or (actually) they would all fit in into any of our other vehicles.

This is wandering off-topic, but I live in the woods as well.

I'm concerned about this, and have pursued/considered these tacks:

> I've recently had the woods logged of the large/valuable trees. They'll be put to good use (instead of dying, falling, and adding to potential forest fire fuel). Further, the smaller trees are getting a better chance, and (well...) some amazing trails were cut through - free of charge. Over the next few years, I'll have the treetops (left behind) to cut up as firewood - as well as another man - who will cut up more of them than will I - to sell firewood.

> Quite a few others are having THEIR properties logged - this year - as well, which (again) takes away a large percentage of old dry fuel, and (again) puts it to wonderful use for mankind, rather than (simply) waiting for it to die, rot, fall, knock over OTHER trees, and make the woods look like crap. (The majestic oaks, in particular - which are commercially valuable) feature SMALL root systems, and high winds - nearly exclusively - blow THOSE over - causing damage in cities/towns as well as (well...) in people's woods.

> The woods end a considerable distance from the house, and with no trees (other than an orchard) near the house.

> In the winter (particularly if one of those DRY winters) I cut all the dead grass on the property down to the "quick" (which makes grass fires unlikely).

> The roofs (both the house and work building) are metal. (Shouldn't that be spelled "rooves"?...but it just looks too odd that way, so...)

> My house is built up on a formidably-high foundation, rather than a slab, and (though there is shrubbery around the house) we don't have huge shrubbery around the house, and it is spaced out away from the house.

> Being a LOG house, the exterior walls do NOT consist of an endless row 14.5-inch wide "chimneys" (ie. no 2x4's with spaces between them)...
Have you ever tried to start a campfire with only some large LOGS and NO air...??
Casca Grossa

Post by Casca Grossa »

If I still owned it, my mid 70’s era Miraphone/fone 186. I would have that horn buried with me for use in the afterlife.
Mirafone 184 CC
Blokepiece Imperial
Soon to be 5 valve Lignatone/Amati Eb
Blokepiece Solo
the elephant

Post by the elephant »

I would grab my three cats, my wife's 1969 Conn 8D and my 1971 Mirafone 186 CC. If I could make another trip into the burning house I would get any of the other tubas I could rescue and hands full of clothing, my diabetes meds and my firebox of docments.

I'd let that little Couesnon Eb melt.
humBell

Post by humBell »

I had to detour round fires on i5 my last road trip to the west coast. Even the haze and smoke on the fringes were no fun.

Hope comes out okay!

For the life of me, i don't have an intelligible answer. Which shouldn't be too surprising.

I recently got asked if i have a 5 year plan, and i couldn't give a satisfactory answer for that.

I still can't, but i will include getting to a point where i can answer this question will be part of my 5 year plan when i do come up with one.
"All art is one." -Hal
Doc

Post by Doc »

The one that would be hardest to replace would be the Blokespecial 186.
Attachments
5FE704C9-4435-4F6A-9F49-13EFD420D6CC.jpeg
5FE704C9-4435-4F6A-9F49-13EFD420D6CC.jpeg (80.93 KiB) Viewed 2173 times
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
prairieboy1

Post by prairieboy1 »

A great question. My 1935 King " Symphony" Recording Bass. I have owned this horn since July of 1975. I played everything on this horn up until 10 years ago when I began to branch out! :eyes:
1916 Holton "Mammoth" 3 valve BBb Upright Bell Tuba
1935 King "Symphony" Bass 3 valve BBb Tuba
1998 King "2341" 4 valve BBb Tuba
1970 Yamaha "321" 4 valve BBb Tuba (Yard Goat)
HoltonMammoth

Post by HoltonMammoth »

Doc wrote:The one that would be hardest to replace would be the Blokespecial 186.

That sure is purdy
Doc

Post by Doc »

HoltonMammoth wrote:
Doc wrote:The one that would be hardest to replace would be the Blokespecial 186.

That sure is purdy
And it plays wonderfully. Great sound. If we can post videos, I can share a first-notes video. The only disadvantage is living where it’s hot and incredibly humid, which is a playground for tarnish on an instrument with a satin or brushed finish.
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
York-aholic

Post by York-aholic »

the elephant wrote:I'd let that little Couesnon Eb melt.
What would you leave behind might be a more interesting question.

I left two King 1240 horns as they are fairly common.
lost

Post by lost »

I'd take my york 91 followed by my conn orch grand followed by my holton mammoth.

The rest can burn.
J.W. York & Sons Performing Artist
http://www.YorkLoyalist.com
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Doc wrote:
HoltonMammoth wrote:

That sure is purdy
And it plays wonderfully. Great sound. If we can post videos, I can share a first-notes video. The only disadvantage is living where it’s hot and incredibly humid, which is a playground for tarnish on an instrument with a satin or brushed finish.
I'm thinking that one yard might not quite be enough to sew together a bag large enough...so probably two yards, yes...??

> https://www.amazon.com/Anti-Tarnish-Sil ... B01N8P4ZSU

I've been really distracted by this "barn" project...
I need to ship your rim (and a tuba for someone else) early this week.
HoltonMammoth

Post by HoltonMammoth »

lost wrote:I'd take my york 91 followed by my conn orch grand followed by my holton mammoth.

The rest can burn.

I'll take the rest, especially that big Martin. :teeth:
Doc

Post by Doc »

bloke wrote:
I'm thinking that one yard might not quite be enough to sew together a bag large enough...so probably two yards, yes...??

> https://www.amazon.com/Anti-Tarnish-Sil ... B01N8P4ZSU

I've been really distracted by this "barn" project...
I need to ship your rim (and a tuba for someone else) early this week.
I had two yards of that material arrive last week. Wife is going to break out the sewing machine. If she doesn’t, I will. She likes a project, and I like her to actually finish her projects, so I haven’t rushed her.

Just send the rim when you can. I’m not in a bind. No worries.
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!