POST HERE: high school band pictures - and talk about them

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bloke
Mid South Music

POST HERE: high school band pictures - and talk about them

Post by bloke »

probably 1971 - 1972, 10th grade, ACTUAL band camp (yeah...in the woods...a hundred miles from home...NOT going home to mommy and daddy every night...sleeping on cots in small tents, etc.)

I believe those might all be 36K's, except one might (??) have been a Holton fiberglass. Those were our "concert" instruments...ie. our "instruments".

The person on the left used that 36K (near the end of the following year) to audition into Pershing's Own.
The next person later worked as a sound man/recording engineer. He also played electric bass in the jazz band. I took his place, the following year. I'm the third person. The fourth person got a job fixing woodwinds for a school system. A black-haired trombone (difficult to spot - about "4 o'clock" immediately down from the left sousaphone player), quit music school (after two months as a freshman) and auditioned into the Continental Army Band - later renamed the too-many-words United States Army Training and Doctrine Command Band (as he realized that his own technical/musical skills already exceeded those of his studio teacher, and that he really needed to get on with his life and earn a living). He went on (no engineering nor other degrees) to manage various types of power plants, and had a hand in overseeing the construction of a couple of them.

The band director can be seen at the right edge of the picture; he was a great jazz trombonist (' played a 3B). His son is to his immediate right (right edge), and is a great jazz clarinet/sax player, and also a really good bagpipes and uilleann pipes player. He wasn't in the band (attended a different high school, and probably a college student, by then - in Tom Ferguson's "A" Jazz Band at Memphis State...Tom was the pianist on Rich Matteson's first Tuba Jazz Consort L.P., and a founder of N.A.J.E. - now I.A.J.E.), but always enjoyed coming to the camp and playing in the band, during the camps. His name is Gary, and - when we played rock-and-roll gigs - we gave him the nickname, "Cosmo", and - when we played rhythm-and-blues gigs, his nickname was "Gary Lou" (Louis was NOT his middle name).

Several of the young ladies were really good pop singers, and (though quite young...as discussed in other threads) I gigged with a couple of them a few times (nylon-string guitar gigs, where those who hired me also wanted some vocals). Also, they were 16 or 17 (and I was 15) so I didn't have to bike or bus to those particular gigs, and could ride there with the singer. Typically, we would do Carpenters, Carole King, and Carly Simon stuff.

There were some pretty amazing saxophonists in that band, as well as "baritone horn" players. We were a bit weak (though always one or two really good ones) on trumpets, and tended to only have about three really competent clarinetists (which were strategically placed as principal 1st, principal 2nd, and principal 3rd, so that the parts would be covered, and to show the others "how it goes").

Flutes were remarkable to good..."all-state", etc... Percussionists ranged from "Forrest Gump" to "amazing". One of them went on to play keyboards with the Deltones. He has an autographed Buddy Rich busted snare drum head (which Rich busted at his big band's concert in our high school auditorium one night). The Navy Band (with a 27-year-old Brian Bowman playing a solo on his satin-silver Besson) also played a night concert in our school's auditorium, that year (my senior year).

The neighborhood/district consisted - nearly entirely - of very modest homes (at best: 2 BR/1 BA houses, 1-car carport-or-nothing, possibly with a den or another BR added on to a few of them), but there were quite a few people (though none with the dough to matriculate at northern conservatories) who went on to be full-time or part-time paid musicians, and many others who continued to play as amateurs.

Three Valves

Re: POST HERE: high school band pictures - and talk about them

Post by Three Valves »

Pre-game, 1977. Freshman year. I got stuck with the brass one. :eyes:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8hYYCjx46cX8Lrm18
Last edited by Three Valves on Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:17 pm, edited 8 times in total.
These users thanked the author Three Valves for the post:
bloke (Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:47 pm)
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
RenoDoc

Post by RenoDoc »

So I grew up in suburban Detroit and went to Rochester Adams High School. Our high school mascot was the Highlanders. Because of this, our drum majors always wore Kilts. My junior year, I went from playing tuba to being the junior drum major and then the senior drum major. As a 16-18 year old Polish kid, wearing a kilt was a pretty interesting experience and depending on where we played, I'd get some interesting looks.

Our last game of the year against our rivals was always played at the old Pontiac SIlverdome where the Lions used to play. Since it was my last game, I decided to go out with a bang. The piece we were playing had a dramatic pause with about 8 bars left where typically I'd turn from facing the band to facing the audience and doing a very elaborate salute. At that point, I'd then turn back to the band and conduct the last portion

Prior to the game, I jury-rigged the kilt with some velcro. Right at the dramatic pause, I turned around and whipped off my kilt revealing some Hawaiian boxer shorts in front of a 80,000 seat stadium (with maybe 1000 people in the stands). When I turned around to the band, half of them were laughing too much to start playing again. And yes, I realize a true Scott doesn't wear boxers!

In all seriousness, high school marching band and being a drum major taught me so many life lessons that I still use today. I was a pretty goofy kid and going to the George Parks Drum Major academy and music really shaped me even though I didn't pursue a career in music.
Attachments
drum major photo 3.jpeg
drum major photo 3.jpeg (31.72 KiB) Viewed 747 times
Drum major 1-1.jpeg
Drum major 1-1.jpeg (28.31 KiB) Viewed 747 times
Andy Pasternak
Hirsbrunner HB7
Conn Naked Lady 14K
1918 York and Sons 33
Jperry1466

Post by Jperry1466 »

1966 UIL marching contest. I'm the white Sousaphone at far left. The two guys holding brass Sousas were poor to mediocre players at best, and the guy on the far right didn't bother blowing in his horn. He just (literally) sang the melody through it for 4 years.
1965 Stage Band - I'm playing the first upright tuba our band program ever owned; we did a lot of Kenton stuff with that band. It was a 3-valve compensating Besson with the ball on the bottom of it, hence the pillow I'm sitting on. The next 3 years I was the string bass player.
Attachments
SHSBand66-67.jpg
SHSBand66-67.jpg (77.26 KiB) Viewed 713 times
StageBand65-66.jpg
StageBand65-66.jpg (49.28 KiB) Viewed 713 times
Dave Detwiler

Post by Dave Detwiler »

Hi all - while I played tuba in my high school band for four years, the highlight came in the summer of 1979, when I attended the National Music Camp at Interlochen, MI, playing in the High School Symphonic Band and studying with Rex Conner.

Here's the photo of all of the high school tuba and euphonium players that summer. Rex is on the far right; I'm two over from him (blond hair), and the other names are fuzzy - except that the woman player, third in from the left, was Paula something, and she was really good - first chair all summer, I think.

If any of the rest of you are out there, let me know!

1979 National Music Camp - Interlochen.JPG
1979 National Music Camp - Interlochen.JPG (86.89 KiB) Viewed 688 times
These users thanked the author Dave Detwiler for the post (total 2):
bloke (Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:13 am) • davidgilbreath (Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:34 am)
Played an F. E. Olds 4-valve BBb in high school (late '70s)
Led the USC Trojan Marching Band tuba section (early '80s)
Now playing an F. Schmidt (=VMI) 3301 and goofing around
on a 1925 Pan American Sousaphone and an 1899 Conn tuba!
Jperry1466

Post by Jperry1466 »

Dave Detwiler wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:12 am Hi all - while I played tuba in my high school band for four years, the highlight came in the summer of 1979, when I attended the National Music Camp at Interlochen, MI, playing in the High School Symphonic Band and studying with Rex Conner.
I have never seen that photo of Rex; thanks for posting it. He was a truly great teacher, and we remained close friends until his death. Not high school related, and I was teaching here in Texas in 1979, but this photo was taken in Rex's studio at UK when I was in grad school in 1974. I'm the nerd on the right. At left was an extremely fine tuba player, David Hensley, who died some 15 years ago of a lung disorder, making me the lone survivor of this pic. Sorry about the quality.
Attachments
Conner Hensley Perry tubas.jpg
Conner Hensley Perry tubas.jpg (71.09 KiB) Viewed 643 times
These users thanked the author Jperry1466 for the post:
davidgilbreath (Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:35 am)
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

RenoDoc wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:43 am So I grew up in suburban Detroit and went to Rochester Adams High School. Our high school mascot was the Highlanders. Because of this, our drum majors always wore Kilts.
Our Highlanders were Thomas McKean HS named for a Delaware signer of the D of I.

Another local band had white British Colonial era looking helmets. We called them, The Scrubbing Bubbles!!

In the world of cocky show-offs, tuba player to drum major was quite a promotion!! :thumbsup:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
dp

Post by dp »

Last edited by dp on Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author dp for the post:
Three Valves (Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:36 am)
pfft (yes, that's for you)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I only spent one summer up there with Rex at Interlochen...
back when the Univ of Mich. School of Music moved there each summer, and back when it was called National Music Camp.
I checked off some degree credits, while up there...

One of the funniest things (Rex-related, and not being disrespectful...as I believe he would have laughed, had he seen it) was some advertisement up on the cafeteria bulletin board which featured a pen-and-ink drawing of an owl...Some one scribbled "Rex" under that picture of an owl. :laugh:

==================================================

I just sent that (recently-acquired by me) picture of that summer band camp (first post in this thread) to the lady who was the oboist in the front row of the picture I posted.
She reminded me that we are both "late birthday" (born in late fall, whereby many chose/choose to hold their children back) people, started 1st grade together at age 5, so we were both only 14 - when that picture was taken.
She also reminded me that it was taken (as of this-coming summer) FIFTY years ago. :red:

ALSO...
I give our band director some credit for being clever about our uniforms.
Our school colors were conservative: maroon and white, but - in spite of that - he choose to only acknowledge those colors on the marching-version overlay and hat, so that they rest of the uniform (albeit very heavy wool, which kept us warm at games) could (with a tux shirt and black bow tie...OK: and maroon cummerbund) be converted to a tuxedo, when performing indoors...so at "All-State" (etc.) the folks from our school (though identifiable) appeared a bit less gaudy, on stage (vs. the greens, bright-blues, purples, yellows, reds, etc...)

Last edited by bloke on Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
Three Valves (Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:36 am)
acemorgan

Post by acemorgan »

Dons Band 1971.PNG
Dons Band 1971.PNG (157.07 KiB) Viewed 585 times
This was in 1971. The band actually had about 75 members, but if I had posted the entire picture, how would you have found me? Top, far left (yeah, top--not the two middle-aged directors 50 years ago). They had us turn our sousaphones sideways so our faces would show. We had two more sousaphones on the other end, with one guy posing bell-front. The violation of symmetry is embarrassing. I won't show you that. :facepalm2:
Last edited by acemorgan on Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author acemorgan for the post:
bloke (Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:53 pm)
Seek not to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought. -Basho

Courtois Eb
Carl Fischer Eb
Wessex Dolce
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

bloke wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:41 am
ALSO...
I give our band director some credit for being clever about our uniforms.
Our school colors were conservative: maroon and white, but - in spite of that - he choose to only acknowledge those colors on the marching-version overlay and hat, so that they rest of the uniform (albeit very heavy wool, which kept us warm at games) could (with a tux shirt and black bow tie...OK: and maroon cummerbund) be converted to a tuxedo, when performing indoors...so at "All-State" (etc.) the folks from our school (though identifiable) appeared a bit less gaudy, on stage (vs. the greens, bright-blues, purples, yellows, reds, etc...)
Shawl collar, tails, real cool!!

Ours were convertible too, just not so nice and looked more like suites. The glittery Yellow/Gold with Blue "D" was a bib.
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
sdloveless

Post by sdloveless »

Waynesville, MO, 1993. I'm the tall guy at the right end of the 2nd row in the top photo. :tuba: To my right (your left!) are Amy Mendoza (who was a freshman at the time and a good friend of my sister's) and Lora King (who was one year behind me and the only other tubist I payed with who stuck it out all 4 years.) And just past them is a blond girl named Rachael Behnken. Rachael lives in Indiana now and plays in the Old Crown Brass Band with Sam Gnagey. The back row is mostly percussion and the young man in the center, Chris Potts, now owns a music store in our home town called Warehouse 66 Music. 3rd from the end of the 1st row is Jeff Faucett. Jeff could play. He made it to All State band more than once and I'm pretty sure he went off to some prestigious east coast school to major in music performance. The last I heard of him, he was playing cruise ships, but that was pre-pandemic and I've lost track of him since.

The bottom photo is all woodwinds and we don't care about them. :laugh:

These users thanked the author sdloveless for the post:
bloke (Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:16 pm)
Scott Loveless
Pennsylvania, USA
1939 King 1240, JP179B
"When life knocks you down, stay there and take a nap."
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Dial back from the 1971 - 1972 school year to the 1957 - 1958 school year.

Here's my older brother (when I was a 1-year-old :smilie7: ) at the same high chool, also in the tenth grade (two uniforms earlier / one band director earlier).

He's playing our Dad's METAL clarinet (that our Dad played - "bought used" - in high school in the early 1930's).

Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

My high school band didn't have violins in it, and I was happy for that during marching band season where at least two per year fell over in a dead faint from having to wear heavy wool uniforms in 90 degree heat and humidity.
These users thanked the author Mary Ann for the post:
bloke (Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:16 pm)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Mary Ann wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:33 am My high school band didn't have violins in it, and I was happy for that during marching band season where at least two per year fell over in a dead faint from having to wear heavy wool uniforms in 90 degree heat and humidity.
We (mostly) loved our heavy wool uniforms, because - during most of foobaw seezun...even at 35+° latitude - it was a bit chilly.
We typically went to Florida for a week EVERY winter (the the lame excuse of marching in some-little-town's-or-another's parade (TO GO TO FLORIDA). After Disney opened (just before 1972), (of course) we went there too, but we were more interested in the beach (having grown up as "outdoor", rather than "synthetic" children, possibly...??) than Disney. ...so - when we marched in that one measly Florida parade, annually, it was never much warmer than 70 degrees...and the wool was still bearable...at least, for a 30-minute parade.

bloke "who did not go on the escape-to-Florida trip during my 12th grade year, because of being quite aggressively 'reverse-Pepé-Le-Pew-ed' by someone during the 11th-grade trip, which - sheesh! :eyes: - completely spoiled that trip for me...and that
same person was still in the band when I was in the 12th grade"
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

Ah, yes, the ol' reverse PPLP... :smilie2:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
hrender

Post by hrender »

We had heavy wool uniforms (British style) in Florida (panhandle, but still). They were suboptimal until fairly late in the season.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Three Valves wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:30 pm Ah, yes, the ol' reverse PPLP... :smilie2:
That was one of the instructive episodes (in my youth) that taught me (much more than any lectures by adults) to always be respectful of others...
Unwanted advances are...creepy. :bugeyes:
acemorgan

Post by acemorgan »

I had to include this second picture. For me, it evokes a different time period, when the sense of community was different. This is around May, just before graduation. I am wearing my high school band uniform, but I have the Miraphone from our local college. I had taken piano lessons from the wife of the college's band director, so we were acquainted. I had told him I planned to attend the college in the fall, so he let me borrow that horn from the school, with the expectation that I would be enrolling in a couple months. The college band was just getting started during my senior year of high school, and had no tuba player at the time. That Miraphone was brand new.
new tuba.png
new tuba.png (137.53 KiB) Viewed 424 times
Last edited by acemorgan on Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author acemorgan for the post (total 3):
Three Valves (Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:37 am) • sdloveless (Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:07 am) • bloke (Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:31 pm)
Seek not to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought. -Basho

Courtois Eb
Carl Fischer Eb
Wessex Dolce
sdloveless

Post by sdloveless »

acemorgan wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:32 am I had to include this second picture. For me, it evokes a different time period, when the sense of community was different.

...so he let me borrow that horn from the school, with the expectation that I would be enrolling a a couple months. The college band was just getting started during my senior year of high school, and had no tuba player at the time. That Miraphone was brand new.
Not quite the same situation, but our HS band director, Russ Kormeier, would allow anyone using a school instrument to take it home at any time or keep it over the summer if they were planning to stay in the band the next fall. I rarely dragged mine home during the week, but would most weekends and I kept it at home all summer. Many of the schools around here today take a "there's no way it's leaving the band room so you'll have to stay after and practice" approach.
These users thanked the author sdloveless for the post:
acemorgan (Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:39 am)
Scott Loveless
Pennsylvania, USA
1939 King 1240, JP179B
"When life knocks you down, stay there and take a nap."