SHIPPED: GREAT outdoor gig (or "student" or "budget") 7/8+ size (15/16...??) BB♭ tuba (Conn-made "Pan American")

Read forum rules before posting.
Forum rules
This is for buying or selling your personal equipment, but sponsored selling is allowed as well. We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Price, (even for trades) Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories) need to be included in the ad, or at least be very clear in link provided. It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay Auctions, but Buy it now listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
bloke
Mid South Music

SHIPPED: GREAT outdoor gig (or "student" or "budget") 7/8+ size (15/16...??) BB♭ tuba (Conn-made "Pan American")

Post by bloke »

NOTE:
I'm ALWAYS going to list things for sale here FIRST, and my stuff sells for asking prices, so - if you want it, you know that your spouse isn't going to nix the deal, and have funding (no trades, unless you're willing to trade-even your Miraphone model 98 "Siegfried" for this :teeth: ), speak up! :smilie7:

This is a GREAT tuba for polka-ing, marching, dixie-ing, and whatever-ing, if you have a nicer instrument, but wish you had a GOOD yet NOT expensive contrabass (yeah: BB-flat) tuba for outdoor use.

These Pan American tubas were (pretty obviously) the predecessors of the Conn model 10J tubas (which were made later - in the 1960's).
This Pan American is considerably more ornate (engraving and bracing) than are the (again: successor) model 10J tubas.

It's a 3-valve top-action with a full-size (nearly .700") bore, and with an 18" bell diameter.

It features a worn satin silver finish, and the WELL-ALIGNED main slide is right where the left hand can reach it to adjust for 1-3, 1-2-3, and any other pitches.

It easily plays up to A=440 pitch level, and a bit above. Intonation characteristics are very good (again: 10J-like).

NONE of the valve circuits are too long, so 1st-valve, and 2+3 valve pitches are all "GOOD", rather than (as with - as examples - old King and Olds tubas) annoyingly flat.

The receiver is "standard shank".

The instrument is "gig ready".

The pistons are nickel plated, and NOT (old style) raw nickel silver.

There are small "peck" dents that may not show up in the pictures, but I "went over" the instrument and addressed dent removal pretty darn thoroughly.

As can be seen it can be carried with (included) a simple adjustable strap which can be attached to the instrument's own sturdy strap rings.

If WEIGHT is an issue, it weighs 15-1/2 lbs.

If (??) this is being bought for a school kid, I can toss in a copy of a Wick 4 (with a raw-brass shank) but - otherwise (please) - NO mouthpiece (nor bag, nor case) is/are included.

This really isn't a money-maker...but I'd just like to cash out of it. :smilie6:

I spent a bit over $400 to get it, and did about $500 (or $1000, if New York City) worth work on it, to put it in gig-ready shape...so I'm pricing it out at $895.

I believe I can ship it via FedExGround at a (not cheapie-cheap, but) "affordable" price, because I believe I can safely "tease" it into a box that is JUST UNDER 130 inches (length + girth), over which number, shipping costs really soar. THAT HAVING BEEN SAID, to custom-cut a carton down to EXACTLY 129" AND safely accommodate this tuba will take some time, so I'm asking for $30 (in addition to actual shipping cost) to do that.

I'd LOVE for someone to pick it up in-person, and (sure!) try it out, first, before laying down their cash.

I can accept your credit card payment, but (since there's really no "profit", here) I'd appreciate the card user kicking in my 3% processing fee.

This included strap can be let out an additional two feet in length.

MAIN SLIDE MANIPULATION: (SHORT VIDEO)
https://i.imgur.com/VRraan2.mp4
Last edited by bloke on Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:15 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Three Valves

Re: GREAT outdoor Gig 7/8+ size (15/16...??) BB♭ tuba (Conn-made "Pan American")

Post by Three Valves »

Suddenly, just the kinda tuba I needed five years ago are popping up!! :wall:

Bad for me, good for somebody else.

Only that one is nicer/cooler. :smilie8:
These users thanked the author Three Valves for the post:
bloke (Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:54 pm)
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
matt g

Re: GREAT outdoor gig (or "student" or "budget") 7/8+ size (15/16...??) BB♭ tuba (Conn-made "Pan American")

Post by matt g »

PamAms are good little horns. Fat sound with a lot of core. Someone is gonna get a fun little tuba.
These users thanked the author matt g for the post:
Three Valves (Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:30 pm)
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
Doc

Re: ON HOLD: GREAT outdoor gig (or "student" or "budget") 7/8+ size (15/16...??) BB♭ tuba (Conn-made "Pan American")

Post by Doc »

It's a good thing I wasn't passing through as we had discussed. I miss my 10J. I would have likely taken this home.
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
LargeTuba

Re: ON HOLD: GREAT outdoor gig (or "student" or "budget") 7/8+ size (15/16...??) BB♭ tuba (Conn-made "Pan American")

Post by LargeTuba »

How'd you get that barnyard tarnish off?
Pt-6P, Holton 345 CC, 45slp
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

LargeTuba wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:00 am How'd you get that barnyard tarnish off?
Ancient Chinese secret... :smilie5:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
bloke
Mid South Music

GREAT outdoor gig (or "student" or "budget") 7/8+ size (15/16...??) BB♭ tuba (Conn-made "Pan American")

Post by bloke »

1> regular (NOT lemon scented) oven cleaner
2> restaurant silverware dip
3> light pass with white buff on bell interior
4> silver polishing cloth
😐

LargeTuba wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:00 am How'd you get that barnyard tarnish off?
Last edited by bloke on Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
tokuno

Post by tokuno »

Dang, chose the wrong week to be out of town and paying scant attn to the forum.
Looks like a gem, and I'm in line if the deal falls through.
These users thanked the author tokuno for the post:
bloke (Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:10 pm)
humBell

Post by humBell »

Are these larger than 10Js?

I remember being slow regarding a "Tone King" version a few years back, and regretting it, which i believe was distinctly larger than a 10J.

Enjoy, buyer!
"All art is one." -Hal
bloke
Mid South Music

Re: GREAT outdoor gig (or "student" or "budget") 7/8+ size (15/16...??) BB♭ tuba (Conn-made "Pan American")

Post by bloke »

NO LONGER "on hold", and - once again - AVAILABLE.

I'm going to repair something the (former potential buyer) already owns, instead of them buying this...

...so If you wanted it and missed it, it's available again.

I'm pretty sure this is just like a 10J, other than this has fancier/one-piece braces.

(I'm not listing the little bitty E-flat one, because I think someone already wants it.)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Back on hold