My community band starts up on Tuesday!

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
ronr

My community band starts up on Tuesday!

Post by ronr »

It’s going to be an exciting day!
These users thanked the author ronr for the post:
bloke (Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:52 pm)

2013 J Packer 379 Bbb
1905 York Helicon
1960 Reynolds Contempora Sousaphone
2022 Wessex fiberglass sousaphone
KingTuba1241X

Re: My community band starts up on Tuesday!

Post by KingTuba1241X »

Any restrictions or mandates?
06' Miraphone 187-4U
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

ronr wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:16 pm It’s going to be an exciting day!
Which band is it?
These users thanked the author bort2.0 for the post:
ronr (Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:33 pm)
prairieboy1

Post by prairieboy1 »

In the Northern Grainbelt, great minds think alike! One of the community bands that I am a member of has already started. I had my first dose of COVID-19 vaccine on April 8th and will be returning to band this coming Tuesday as well. It has been 13 months since I last played with these folks. Our numbers will be greatly reduced as each player will be 2 metres apart in every direction and we will be playing with cloth covers over our bells. This also includes the requisite mask wearing if not playing as well as hand washing on entry to the band hall and not emptying any "liquid" on to the floor. We are also required to complete a self-monitoring checklist at home prior to coming to each rehearsal.It will be terrific to be playing with other people. While there are many tubists who enjoy solo playing, I am not one of them and I am happy to plow snow at the bottom of the band. :tuba: :thumbsup:
1916 Holton "Mammoth" 3 valve BBb Upright Bell Tuba
1935 King "Symphony" Bass 3 valve BBb Tuba
1998 King "2341" 4 valve BBb Tuba
1970 Yamaha "321" 4 valve BBb Tuba (Yard Goat)
KingTuba1241X

Post by KingTuba1241X »

prairieboy1 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:29 am In the Northern Grainbelt, great minds think alike! One of the community bands that I am a member of has already started. I had my first dose of COVID-19 vaccine on April 8th and will be returning to band this coming Tuesday as well. It has been 13 months since I last played with these folks. Our numbers will be greatly reduced as each player will be 2 metres apart in every direction and we will be playing with cloth covers over our bells. This also includes the requisite mask wearing if not playing as well as hand washing on entry to the band hall and not emptying any "liquid" on to the floor. We are also required to complete a self-monitoring checklist at home prior to coming to each rehearsal.It will be terrific to be playing with other people. While there are many tubists who enjoy solo playing, I am not one of them and I am happy to plow snow at the bottom of the band. :tuba: :thumbsup:
If everyone or most everyone is vaccinated, I wonder why they still require all that stuff? :facepalm2:
06' Miraphone 187-4U
windshieldbug

Post by windshieldbug »

KingTuba1241X wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:13 am If everyone or most everyone is vaccinated, I wonder why they still require all that stuff? :facepalm2:

Because they still don’t know how long vaccination protection lasts, because even when vaccinated there are cases of people catching COVID and because you might be an asymptotic carrier. Not enough experience yet.

Local community band here will restart June 2, outside still distanced only.
If it’s tourist season, why can’t we shoot them?
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

No
More
forking
Zoom
Videos
These users thanked the author bort2.0 for the post (total 2):
KingTuba1241X (Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:43 pm) • Three Valves (Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:41 pm)
KingTuba1241X

Post by KingTuba1241X »

windshieldbug wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:00 pm
KingTuba1241X wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:13 am If everyone or most everyone is vaccinated, I wonder why they still require all that stuff? :facepalm2:

Because they still don’t know how long vaccination protection lasts, because even when vaccinated there are cases of people catching COVID and because you might be an asymptotic carrier. Not enough experience yet.

Local community band here will restart June 2, outside still distanced only.
Oh they don't know how long? Well darn. Glad you made a case against mandating them .
06' Miraphone 187-4U
ronr

Post by ronr »

KingTuba1241X wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:32 pm Any restrictions or mandates?
6-feet apart
Half-hour sessions then move to a different space
Masking and instrument covers
Vaccinations required
2013 J Packer 379 Bbb
1905 York Helicon
ronr

Post by ronr »

bort2.0 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:57 pm
Which band is it?
St. Louis Park Community Band
2013 J Packer 379 Bbb
1905 York Helicon
ronr

Post by ronr »

windshieldbug wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:00 pm

Fear. I’m on the board and we put together a four-page “this is what you have to do” document based on CDC and what the military bands are doing
2013 J Packer 379 Bbb
1905 York Helicon
ronr

Post by ronr »

SteveP wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:27 pm
prairieboy1 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:29 amOur numbers will be greatly reduced as each player will be 2 metres apart in every direction and we will be playing with cloth covers over our bells. This also includes the requisite mask wearing if not playing as well as hand washing on entry to the band hall and not emptying any "liquid" on to the floor. We are also required to complete a self-monitoring checklist at home prior to coming to each rehearsal.It will be terrific to be playing with other people.
Masked? Six feet apart? Hand washing? Self-monitoring checklist? You gotta be kidding. This isn't "playing with other people," it's ridiculous. This is exactly why, as unlikely as it is that this will be required here in Arizona, if this is the requirement for playing I may never play again. At my age that's ok but I can sympathize with younger players that will have to make the choice of going along with stupid and unneeded conditions or not play. Very sad.
Sorry, but I disagree. If this is what it takes to “play with other people,” I’m all for it.
2013 J Packer 379 Bbb
1905 York Helicon
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

ronr wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:33 pm
Which band is it?
Oh that's funny... This is like 3 miles from my house. Had no clue it existed (confession -- I hadn't looked around!)

Need another tuba player?!
SteveP

Post by SteveP »

ronr wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:40 pm
prairieboy1 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:29 amOur numbers will be greatly reduced as each player will be 2 metres apart in every direction and we will be playing with cloth covers over our bells. This also includes the requisite mask wearing if not playing as well as hand washing on entry to the band hall and not emptying any "liquid" on to the floor. We are also required to complete a self-monitoring checklist at home prior to coming to each rehearsal.It will be terrific to be playing with other people.
Masked? Six feet apart? Hand washing? Self-monitoring checklist? You gotta be kidding. This isn't "playing with other people," it's ridiculous. This is exactly why, as unlikely as it is that this will be required here in Arizona, if this is the requirement for playing I may never play again. At my age that's ok but I can sympathize with younger players that will have to make the choice of going along with stupid and unneeded conditions or not play. Very sad.
Sorry, but I disagree. If this is what it takes to “play with other people,” I’m all for it.
I know you are. That makes you part of the problem. You've bought into the 'covid hysteria'.
Steve
Lake Havasu Regional Orchestra (Trombone/Board)
ronr

Post by ronr »

bort2.0 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:43 pm
ronr wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:33 pm

Which band is it?
Oh that's funny... This is like 3 miles from my house. Had no clue it existed (confession -- I hadn't looked around!)

Need another tuba player?!
Let me check...
2013 J Packer 379 Bbb
1905 York Helicon
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

SteveP wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:45 pm
ronr wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:40 pm
I know you are. That makes you part of the problem. You've bought into the 'covid hysteria'.
Not resisting or making a BFD out of it doesn't necessarily mean you buy into it at all. A person could completely go through the motions just to deal with it and get through it well enough, without having to believe any of the hysteria (<-- that is, either side's "hysteria"). Nobody WANTS to do this stupid Covid rule stuff. You'd don't have to believe in it to do it.

Sometimes it's just plain easier to go along with things, fake it, and roll your eyes than it is to complain, object, and spend that kind of energy on arguing stuff. You're more likely to die of cancer or heart disease than Covid. If you gave up on playing because of the BS Covid rules, and then die of heart disease or cancer before things get back to normal... Was it worth it to give it up and not just play along for a while?
These users thanked the author bort2.0 for the post:
MN_TimTuba (Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:50 pm)
prairieboy1

Post by prairieboy1 »

I should know better by now to not post in topics that have the potential to and indeed have gone sideways very quickly. My skin is thick enough, however I just was and am pleased to have the opportunity to play with my fellow musicians after 13 very long months without a rehearsal. I do not see the "requirements" as an infringement on my civil liberties either. These requirements will hopefully keep our musicians healthy and our community healthy as well. Looking beyond how something will effect the individual and focusing on the greater good seems to make sense to me. It is asking very little in reply for receiving something that indeed has been wished for for over a year. No buy in to the hysteria here in Canada, just respect for medical science and public health initiatives.
These users thanked the author prairieboy1 for the post:
windshieldbug (Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:55 am)
1916 Holton "Mammoth" 3 valve BBb Upright Bell Tuba
1935 King "Symphony" Bass 3 valve BBb Tuba
1998 King "2341" 4 valve BBb Tuba
1970 Yamaha "321" 4 valve BBb Tuba (Yard Goat)
Worth

Post by Worth »

Thank you for having the guts to post this response to what I as well consider needless theater at this point. Not to diminish in any way the OP's excitement, but if this is what an organization requires, count me out as well. I am currently participating in two community groups here in FL using basic common sense, not theatrics. Additionally, I just put up with the aftermath of Moderna #2 for the public good with full knowledge of the possibility of having to deal with a breakthrough case. No politics here, just personal choices.

These users thanked the author Worth for the post (total 3):
SteveP (Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:40 am) • windshieldbug (Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:56 am) • prairieboy1 (Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:03 pm)
2014 Wisemann 900
2013 Miraphone 188
SteveP

Post by SteveP »

bort2.0 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:44 pmWas it worth it to give it up and not just play along for a while?
Yes it was. Those of you who believe that things will ever get back to what we used to consider 'normal' are quite mistaken. 'A while' will turn into endless periods of infringements on our liberties and lives. Things will not get back to 'normal' as long as we willingly accept and comply with what is being done to us.
These users thanked the author SteveP for the post:
Worth (Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:40 am)
Steve
Lake Havasu Regional Orchestra (Trombone/Board)
Paulver

Post by Paulver »

Question???............ The CDC recently announced that the COVID virus does not live on surfaces..... as previously thought. So, if that is true, why is the spit valve/water container rule still in existence? My daughter is at Eastman, and all performers are still required to empty their "water keys" into their own container on the floor beside them. When the performance is over, they must empty said container in the restroom, and wash it out thoroughly.