My community band starts up on Tuesday!

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Three Valves

Re: My community band starts up on Tuesday!

Post by Three Valves »

Paulver wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:42 am Question???............ The CDC recently announced that the COVID virus does not live on surfaces..... as previously thought. So, if that is true, why is the spit valve/water container rule still in existence? My daughter is at Eastman, and all performers are still required to empty their "water keys" into their own container on the floor beside them. When the performance is over, they must empty said container in the restroom, and wash it out thoroughly.
As much as I am on your side in this issue, I don't think incubating in spit is the same as not living on surfaces. That being said, catching it in a towel and taking it home with you seems more sanitary than everyone washing out in the same room!! :tuba:

Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
Yadent

Post by Yadent »

Carson City’s Capital City Community Concert Band started up last Thursday. The obligatory 6’ distancing, bell covers for brass only ( guess ‘the virus’ dies within woodwinds), and masking when not playing. The masking was amusing as some initially pulled up masks during measure rests. Up and down within a single piece. :laugh: I utilized a ‘queen’ sized sheer black panty hose as a cover for the tuba. No blowing resistance when playing or verbal from the ensemble at large...........

On a ‘science’ note. MIT just released a study indicating that 6’ or 60’, mask or no mask, none had any effect on curtailing transmission of the virus within a closed space. Adequate VENTILATION/AIR CIRCULATION was the important factor at transmission prevention.
These users thanked the author Yadent for the post:
KingTuba1241X (Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:16 pm)
Music is the spice of life. Without it, our life would seem tasteless and boring.... -moaj hyder

Besson 983
Wessex Danube
King 1168S Euphonium
1901 King HN White Monster Eb
Schiller Bass Trumpet
Schiller F Cimbasso
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

^ Do you guys call it the CCCCCCB?
SteveP

Post by SteveP »

Yadent wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:22 am Carson City’s Capital City Community Concert Band started up last Thursday.
I played trombone in that group under Dick Doede when I lived up in Gardnerville, NV a few years ago. Sorry to hear they've given in to the madness. If I was still there they'd have one less trombonist.
Steve
Lake Havasu Regional Orchestra (Trombone/Board)
matt g

Post by matt g »

Okay...

Let’s settle down on the rhetoric. This forum isn’t meant to be a sounding board for whatever concerns you may have with the current situation, valid or not.

OP is happy to be back and playing. Leave it at that.

Edit:

Locked by request.
These users thanked the author matt g for the post (total 3):
windshieldbug (Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:54 pm) • prairieboy1 (Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:35 pm) • nc_amateur_euph (Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:20 pm)
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)