~Sold~ B&S Musica model 2300 rotary valve BBb tuba

Read forum rules before posting.
Forum rules
This is for buying or selling your personal equipment, but sponsored selling is allowed as well. We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Price, (even for trades) Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories) need to be included in the ad, or at least be very clear in link provided. It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay Auctions, but Buy it now listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
WakinAZ

~Sold~ B&S Musica model 2300 rotary valve BBb tuba

Post by WakinAZ »

~Sold~
Used B&S Musica 2300 4/4 size BBb tuba in lacquer, no mouthpiece or case. $2795 if purchased direct via PayPal or Venmo. Photos at
https://reverb.com/item/40385505-b-s-mu ... e-bbb-tuba

16.5" upright bell and 4 rotary valves of .748" bore. 43" tall! Nickel-silver slide legs and slide tubes. Gold brass leadpipe resists corrosion more than yellow brass. [Compare this tuba with the Miraphone 186 or Cerveny 681, etc. I think the B&S plays/sounds better than either of those. I've owned/played all of them.]

Overall condition is "Very Good", Mechanical condition is Excellent and cosmetic condition is Good. The valves are excellent, very snappy and fast with like-new compression. All the slides move smoothly. There are multiple small to medium-size dings, scratches, evidence of prior repairs, spots with lost lacquer but no dents larger than a tuba players thumbprint. Overall it looks good and plays great! Lacquer finish at appx. 85%.

These were manufactured by B&S in Germany for sale by Conn-Selmer in the US in the late 90s and early 2000s. I estimate the age of this tuba to be 20 years old. It has been used, but not abused.

Classic German-style tall bell tuba with a 50 year+ lineage in the B&S/VMI catalogue (models 101, 2103, 3103, PT-1, etc.).This is very well-built without being tank-like. The German craftsmanship is evident throughout.

$395 ground shipping from Tucson, Arizona by UPS or FedEx to CONUS only.

Thanks for looking.
Last edited by WakinAZ on Thu May 27, 2021 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hrender

Re: B&S Musica model 2300 rotary valve BBb tuba

Post by hrender »

Do you know what the differences are between the 2300 and the 3101 (prev. 101)? Just curious.
jonesbrass

Post by jonesbrass »

Very nice.
Willson 3050S CC, Willson 3200S F, B&S PT-10, BMB 6/4 CC, Yamaclone JFF-303
jtm

Post by jtm »

The Musica-branded B&S 5V C tuba of the same vintage that I had for a while was very well made and easy to play.
John Morris
This practicing trick actually seems to be working!
playing some old German rotary tubas for free
WakinAZ

Post by WakinAZ »

Thanks for the kind words gents. Now loosen your wallets.
Hal - I do not know the exact differences, but based on the one not so great picture I can find on the internet of the 3101, it appears to have a bell kranz, whereas the Musica does not. Possibly some other minor trimming differences. Again the small low-resolution picture is not a lot of help.

Makes sense since the 3101 was endorsed by Walter Hilgers, and considered a premium horn, while the Musica was probably aimed at a student market since it was distributed by Conn-Selmer. I'm sure you're aware there was also a very similar Conn International 2300 (not sure on the model number at the moment).

I'll gladly take correction on any of the above. Greenbean has owned most of the variations of this horn. He may chime in if he sees this.
greenbean
Damn good stuff

Post by greenbean »

I agree - nice looking horn and probably a great player.

I have owned two 101's and four 103's. This Musica really doesn't appear either of those models but it probably shares some features (and likely parts) with the 103. The 101's I had were wrapped very differently in the bugle, were lower in the upper bow, narrower in the body, I think, and had valve branches quite different. They were also about 43" tall so perhaps the Musica has the same bell throat and flare.

The 103's were also a bit different than this Musica. The bottom bows and top bow might be the same, but the Musica's bugle then get wrapped up more tightly - because it has a horizonal MTS and the 103 have a vertical one that uses less tubing. Most 103's seem to have a 17 5/8" bell and I have read that some were bigger. The Musica's valve branches do appear to be taken from the 103 though - take a look at the backside of the horn - they are very distinctive.

I also owned a VMI-produced Musica BBb that looked nothing like this one!

Tom Rice
www.superfinecases.com
Currently playing...
1973 Mirafone 184 BBb
1972 Böhm & Meinl Marzan BBb