I miss T.U.B.A

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
tubanews
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

I miss T.U.B.A

Post by tubanews »

I know this dates me. But I just wanted to say, that I miss T.U.B.A. It was really great. The conferences were great, camaraderie was great. Maybe I just miss being young and full of tuba future. But man, those were good times.

If this is not on point enough for music chatter, Im cool if this is relocated to offtopic. :tuba:

Wessex Chicago York
KingTuba1241X

Re: I miss T.U.B.A

Post by KingTuba1241X »

I used to get the magazines when I was in high school. Seeing those "classified" ads in the back was always exciting.
06' Miraphone 187-4U
tubanews

Post by tubanews »

oh yes..! The T.U.B.A. Journal.

Man that was great, just because it existed at all.

We could use some of that now.
Wessex Chicago York
BopEuph

Post by BopEuph »

Is ITEA not the same?

I was fairly active in it from 2000-2006 or so, but after I graduated, my energy went more towards gigging. It looked like ITEC was still going on before the pandemic.
Nick
(This horn list more to remind me what I have than to brag)
1984 Conn 12J
1990s Kanstul 900-4B BBb
1924 Holton 122 Sousa
1972 Holton B300 Euph
If you see a Willson 2900, serial W2177, it's been missing for a long time. Help me bring it home.
Doc

Post by Doc »

I received my journals and regularly wore them out. There was something special about T.U.B.A. and the journals (or so it seemed). Maybe it's just me, but there was a much more brotherhood/familial/close-knit feel.
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
TubaRay

Post by TubaRay »

Doc wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:46 am I received my journals and regularly wore them out. There was something special about T.U.B.A. and the journals (or so it seemed). Maybe it's just me, but there was a much more brotherhood/familial/close-knit feel.
Agreed! I realize it didn't mention the word "euphonium," but I don't believe it was meant to exclude euphonium players, either. I also liked the journal.
The TubaMeisters
Symphony of the Hills
San Antonio Wind Symphony

Miraphone 186 CC
Rudolph Meinl 5/4 CC
Doc

Post by Doc »

Besides and extra $5, what constitutes a "professional' membership at ITEA versus an "enthusiast" membership? There seems to be no explanation.
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
BopEuph

Post by BopEuph »

Those are good points. I was in college during the change, and we talked about how stupid it was, since T.U.B.A. spelled something.

I don't really have an interest in being a member at the moment, unless I was frequenting conferences, which I haven't been to one in over a decade. And that's a good point about the extra pay, Doc; why wouldn't I just pay to be an enthusiast if there's no benefit to be a professional?
Nick
1984 Conn 12J
1990s Kanstul 900-4B BBb
1924 Holton 122 Sousa
1972 Holton B300 Euph
If you see a Willson 2900, serial W2177, it's been missing for a long time. Help me bring it home.
Doc

Post by Doc »

BopEuph wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:04 am Those are good points. I was in college during the change, and we talked about how stupid it was, since T.U.B.A. spelled something.

I don't really have an interest in being a member at the moment, unless I was frequenting conferences, which I haven't been to one in over a decade. And that's a good point about the extra pay, Doc; why wouldn't I just pay to be an enthusiast if there's no benefit to be a professional?
Yeah... I'm not sure what benefit comes from the extra $5. They don't list that anywhere that I can see, but someone please point out if that info exists. What does that extra $5 get you?

An online membership is apparently the same for all, and it's cheaper. You don't get the printed rag every three months, so you have to read it online. If I were going to join, I'd likely do this since I don't know if the journal is worth reading, much less paying extra for a hard copy. (No offense meant to ITEA - I simply have no idea what the journal is like or how valuable it might be to me personally.)
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
smitwil1

Post by smitwil1 »

I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed reading through those journals until I was digging through some old boxes of stuph and found a cache of 10 years or so of journals from back in the mid 80's to mid 90's (before and after the name change). It's probably been another 10 years since I leafed through them...I kept them, but don't remember exactly where. :huh:
B
Stryk

Post by Stryk »

TUBA.jpg
TUBA.jpg (63.07 KiB) Viewed 2048 times
Terry Stryker
Mirafone 186C, 186BBb, 184C, 186C clone
Gebr. Alexander New 163C, Vintage 163C, Vintage 163BBb
Amati 481C
Lyon & Healy 6/4
Kane Stealth tuba
A plethora of others....
Doc

Post by Doc »

Stryk wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:16 amTUBA.jpg
Jealous!
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
matt g

Post by matt g »

I posted this elsewhere:
I remember a time before The Internet and the only information one had regarding tuba stuff was the old T.U.B.A. (now ITEA) Journal. You’d see a quarterly review of music no one knew about, an article on the serpent, an interview with a player of note, then some advertisements and classifieds. In other words, it kinda sucked and information was limited. And that’s if you even knew the journal existed and were willing to pay $50 a year or whatever to get it.
The context of that statement was me being thankful for Sean Chisham standing up his resource way back in the mid 1990s.

As much at the T.U.B.A. Journal was hit-or-miss back then, it was decidedly better (imo) than the ITEA Journal that came afterwards. I think I kept my ITEA membership for a few years and then dropped it.

Before the name change, there certainly was a better sense of community in those pages. Afterwards, and by intent, it simply felt like a place to dump articles for the publish or perish members.

We shouldn’t forget that this name change happened in the wake of institutions getting onboard the accreditation wagon for effectively every single department. As such, they were oftentimes holding music professors to the same criteria as other academics. So having a peer reviewed journal became a necessity, I guess.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
Doc

Post by Doc »

matt g wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:52 am I posted this elsewhere:
I remember a time before The Internet and the only information one had regarding tuba stuff was the old T.U.B.A. (now ITEA) Journal. You’d see a quarterly review of music no one knew about, an article on the serpent, an interview with a player of note, then some advertisements and classifieds. In other words, it kinda sucked and information was limited. And that’s if you even knew the journal existed and were willing to pay $50 a year or whatever to get it.
The context of that statement was me being thankful for Sean Chisham standing up his resource way back in the mid 1990s.

As much at the T.U.B.A. Journal was hit-or-miss back then, it was decidedly better (imo) than the ITEA Journal that came afterwards. I think I kept my ITEA membership for a few years and then dropped it.

Before the name change, there certainly was a better sense of community in those pages. Afterwards, and by intent, it simply felt like a place to dump articles for the publish or perish members.

We shouldn’t forget that this name change happened in the wake of institutions getting onboard the accreditation wagon for effectively every single department. As such, they were oftentimes holding music professors to the same criteria as other academics. So having a peer reviewed journal became a necessity, I guess.
Do I recall correctly there being some political infighting and posturing during that changeover time? Or was that just the perception? There seemed to be some gnashing of teeth. Maybe that was among the membership...?
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
matt g

Post by matt g »

Doc wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:56 am Do I recall correctly there being some political infighting and posturing during that changeover time? Or was that just the perception? There seemed to be some gnashing of teeth. Maybe that was among the membership...?
I remember a good bit of discussion on Ye Olde Tubenette about the change and I believe that it was a point of contention amongst most groups (students, pros, enthusiasts) simply because of the heritage of the group and how it was named.

I am not sure about the board at the time, but obviously it carried.

Related note: I will assume kids in college don’t get to read the Low Brass Player’s Credo anymore either.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
BopEuph

Post by BopEuph »

matt g wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:08 am I will assume kids in college don’t get to read the Low Brass Player’s Credo anymore either.
Every time I want to show it to someone, it gets increasingly difficult to find a source online.
Nick
1984 Conn 12J
1990s Kanstul 900-4B BBb
1924 Holton 122 Sousa
1972 Holton B300 Euph
Doc

Post by Doc »

BopEuph wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:09 am
matt g wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:08 am I will assume kids in college don’t get to read the Low Brass Player’s Credo anymore either.
Every time I want to show it to someone, it gets increasingly difficult to find a source online.
The Credo might hurt someone's precious feelings today.
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

:laugh:

that reminds me, I installed some word censors on the forum
Yep, I'm Mark
BopEuph

Post by BopEuph »

LeMark wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:10 am :laugh:

that reminds me, I installed some word censors on the forum
HA!

I know that thing is quite obscene, but I feel with the right disclaimers, it should have a home...if not here, then somewhere. I just went through Google and cannot find it anywhere. It'd be a shame to let that fade into obscurity.
Nick
1984 Conn 12J
1990s Kanstul 900-4B BBb
1924 Holton 122 Sousa
1972 Holton B300 Euph
UncleBeer

Post by UncleBeer »

matt g wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:52 am Afterwards, and by intent, it simply felt like a place to dump articles for the publish or perish members.
Nailed it. Aside from occasionally attending conferences, I can't imagine paying ITEA anything.