Make the case for compensation

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
rodgeman

Re: Make the case for compensation

Post by rodgeman »

And I'm playing on whatever mouthpiece it came with (anyone have a clue what it is or what model it is supposed to be like?). ....
It is based off of a Wick 4AL. I also own a JP274 and e-mailed them to get the answer.

On the subject.

I have played (owned) the Yamaha 321, King 2280, a '65 Besson New Standard, and now a JP274. I like my JP274 and it is the best euphonium I have owned.

It was comparable price to a non compensating four valve euphonium. I treat it like a Bb/F tenor trombone. It is there when I need it and if I need a low C/B I got it. . Once you put in a Doug Yeo bass trombone mouthpiece the low register really opens up.

I currently play a Wick 3AL which gives me enough of low and high register to make me happy with a rich tone.

The case for me was price to get a decent instrument new for the price of a used horn.

Eastman EBB-562 BBb tuba
Dillon G5B/Turner
matt g

Post by matt g »

Having a Willson 2975 would be sweet.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
rodgeman

Post by rodgeman »

matt g wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:23 pm Having a Willson 2975 would be sweet.
Wessex Tubas seems to have a similar version that might be an option. It is an option I considered.

https://wessex-tubas.com/collections/eu ... nium-ep104
Eastman EBB-562 BBb tuba
Dillon G5B/Turner
bone-a-phone

Post by bone-a-phone »

rodgeman wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:05 pm
matt g wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:23 pm Having a Willson 2975 would be sweet.
Wessex Tubas seems to have a similar version that might be an option. It is an option I considered.

https://wessex-tubas.com/collections/eu ... nium-ep104
Yes, that's the Festivo, 4 in the front compensating that I have. I got it for the ergonomics. It's very comfortable. The tone seems ok, but not great. The intonation is very good. Mine might have something lodged in the 2nd valve comp loop, it sounds worse than the others.

The rest of the low range is surprisingly good, from pedal Bb to pedal C (2 lines and an octave below the staff.).