Olds O-99-4

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
ParLawGod
Site Admin

Olds O-99-4

Post by ParLawGod »

Anyone ever play one of these? I owned one a few years back...seemed more like a 7/8 size tuba. Really enjoyed the sound in brass quintet (I'm only a BBb player, and dabble in Eb, so it was a good fit for me). Not the greatest for concert band, but chamber music it was a real gem IMO. I had the third tuning slide shortened, I believe at bloke's recommendation, and WOW...it really was the most in-tune tuba I've ever played. Sold it a few years ago, and I'm still kickin' myself! One of those instruments I wish I would have kept. Considered a student level instrument, but it definitely played better than that in my mind.

Anyone else have experience with these little horns? Did you enjoy yours as much as I did?

LeMark
Site Admin

Re: Olds O-99-4

Post by LeMark »

I owned one for a while. Picked it up dirt cheap, shined it up, took out some dents, and sold it to a student for a very small profit

Nice horns! Could have used a longer 4th valve circuit

Nice rich tone for a small bore horn
Yep, I'm Mark
matt g

Post by matt g »

Conn 2J/3J fall in the same camp for CC, imo.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
Doc

Post by Doc »

These are good tubas. Pretty easy to play. Not cumbersome at all.
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
tbonesullivan
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by tbonesullivan »

I play(ed) with a guy who has one. He's mainly a CC or F guy, but the price was right, and he wanted to at least get decent on 3 of the 4 standard tunings. Nice smaller American sound. I've heard that with some relatively simple modifications, the intonation can be brought under control.
Yamaha YBB-631S BBb Tuba, B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, Sterling / Perantucci 1065GHS Euphonium
Yamaha YBL-612 RII & YBL-613H Bass Trombones and a bunch of other trombones
HoltonMammoth
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by HoltonMammoth »

Joe Sellmansberger gave some good clues to the tuba community a while back. The 3rd circuit is correct on one version of these. Perhaps it was the 4v Bach version of these. By shortening the 3rd and possibly the 1st a little, the intonation can be very good.
The Big Ben

Post by The Big Ben »

I have one and like it very much. The only problem is many of them have been through junior high band rooms. That being said, I've had mine for five years and have had a lot of restoration work done including an Oberloh valve refitting. I like playing it and every player of every ability who has played it likes it, too.

A band mate has a 099 3valve and puts a lot of sound out of it. The low notes that can be played with 3 valves come out very nice. If you want a light duty or practice horn, the 3v horns are a little cheaper. Like the 4v, many of them have had a hard life and you need to be selective.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

In particular, these seem to be favorites of doublers - who mostly play trombone and baritone/euphonium...
...probably a combination of ease of response, a considerable amount of resistance – more resembling that which is encountered with their primary instruments, and accessible good intonation.
ParLawGod
Site Admin

Post by ParLawGod »

HoltonMammoth wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:35 pm Joe Sellmansberger gave some good clues to the tuba community a while back. The 3rd circuit is correct on one version of these. Perhaps it was the 4v Bach version of these. By shortening the 3rd and possibly the 1st a little, the intonation can be very good.
Yup, those were the modifications! Pitch was spot on after that.
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

I had the 3 valve version for a while -- it was the first tuba I ever owned.

When I graduated high school, I saw it sitting in the corner of the band room. Not many dents, but missing the 3rd valve plus missing the 1st valve stem. The director said he was going to make it ito a lamp, but that if I promised to fix it, I could have it.

I spent $900 to get it repaired and in good playing condition -- it was a great little tuba! I never played it all THAT much, but do remember practicing in my dorm room sometimes with it. I think I even auditioned for one of the athletic bands on that tuba one year, because it was all I had available at the time.

After college, I traded it in at BBC for $700, towards a VMI/MW-30. So for 6 years of tuba usage, I spent $200. That sounds pretty good to me!
Dave Detwiler

Post by Dave Detwiler »

I played one all through my high school years (the school owned two of them), including in the High School Symphonic Band at the National Music Camp at Interlochen (pictured here). I loved that horn, and when I returned to playing after a 25 year hiatus, I had hoped to find one in good condition to buy and use. But instead, I found a VMI 3301, which is very similar, and I love it as well!

1979 National Music Camp.JPG
1979 National Music Camp.JPG (52.97 KiB) Viewed 758 times
Played an F. E. Olds 4-valve BBb in high school (late '70s)
Led the USC Trojan Marching Band tuba section (early '80s)
Now playing an F. Schmidt (=VMI) 3301 and goofing around
on a 1925 Pan American Sousaphone and an 1899 Conn tuba!
Mark E. Chachich

Post by Mark E. Chachich »

I have an O-99 with 3 valves that I bought at a junk shop. With some repairs (thank you Randy Harrison) it turned out out to be a fine tuba. I have always liked the O-99 tubas, they have a great sound and are very easy to play (my opinion).

Best,
Mark
Life Member Baltimore Musician's Union Local 40-543
Life Member International Tuba Euphonium Association (ITEA)
Ph.D. Experimental Psychology, Behavioral Neuroscience (a musician can do almost anything!)