Dallas CL: Holton 346R

For posting interesting and remarkable deals found on the internet.
hrender

Dallas CL: Holton 346R

Post by hrender »

the elephant

Re: Dallas CL: Holton 346R

Post by the elephant »

That is a nice Yamaha. It even has the classic "321" dent. ;-)

For whatever reason, my personal experiences with the Yamahas stenciled over to Holton have been better than Yamaha-branded Yamahas. (I am limiting this comment to the 201 and 321 horns.) This could be a decent enough player for a tall guy. The price is good. But these are common school horns in the seller's area, so inspect the horn for an inventory tag, or engravings, or evidence of them having been removed. It is always a risk when buying a used tuba that is very popular in the local school district.

I personally would only buy this to flip it. I do not like these horns enough to want one and would not recommend one to a student. But there is some serious love for these amongst certain community banders. I think it would merit a test play if not too far from a potential buyer. It could be very good. It could be a "blat weasel". It's worth a look if you live nearby.

Caveat emptor for what might be a reasonable deal.
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Holton 345 :smilie8:
Holton 346 :eyes:
Txlang

Post by Txlang »

Its a very reasonable deal for this tuba. Id encourage anyone interested to come over and play it and see what you think
The Big Ben

Post by The Big Ben »

I think these have been stenciled Bach as well. That would be a lot of horn for that kind of money. Could support a good sized concert band with a horn like that.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Years ago, I grew weary of pulling those bows just to unflatten the ferrule on the small side, which - as Wade pointed out - is always bashed in..
I had someone make me a big football-shaped steel ball which is the diameter of the bore size, right there. First, I park a smaller (yet still:?pretty large) ball past there, and then I drive that mama-jama steel ball past that horrible flat spot. Once it’s beaten out round, I use a magnet to un-park the other ball, and then pound that big mama-jama ball back out.
That thing has made me some good money.
Still, I really don’t enjoy working on Ybb-321 tubas...probably because the ones I see are so mangled, and end up re-mangled year after year after year.