What mouthpiece for your 410 CC tuba?

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
royjohn
Has thanked: 0

What mouthpiece for your 410 CC tuba?

Post by royjohn »

Hello All,
I am curious what mouthpiece or mouthpieces others use on a Mack Brass 410 with gold brass bell or any 410 for that matter.

I'd also be interested in why you use that mouthpiece:

1. To get more sound when playing with a big group

2. For more color with a tuba which can sound a little generic

3. For better intonation

4. For better high (or low) range

5. Or some other reason (agility, whatever...)

Thanks in advance! :huh: :huh: :huh:
-royjohn

bloke
Mid South Music

Re: What mouthpiece for your 410 CC tuba?

Post by bloke »

horribly shameless plug: :smilie6:

Sellmansberger “Imperial” cup, standard shank Imperial backbore, with the rim style and inner diameter of your choice

They are not the least expensive, being three piece modular stainless steel, but it’s honestly what I would use with any sort of 186-like C tuba.

This isn’t exactly a “melodious étude“, but when my bass trombone buddy and I were having a little bit of fun “playing” :eyes: some over-the-top Borodin (youtube) - and I was using a 186C in as-received/beat-to-crap condition (before restoring it and selling it to “Doc“), that’s the mouthpiece I was using. It checks several of the boxes (with a 186C) mentioned in your original post.
KorKoro
Been thanked: 0

Post by KorKoro »

I've tried a number of different mouthpieces on my Mack Brass 410. I've settled on an RT-44. The exception is if I have a particularly high piece to play, I'll use the RT-36. If there's a piece that stays really low, I'll use the RT-50.

Hope that helps.

KorKoro
Ace

Post by Ace »

I used a PT-50 on my 410. It's the only m/p I have known that plays fully and easily in all ranges, but particularly in the very low range. Also tried a Bach 7 but felt it (or I) produced a blunt and colorless sound when it was pushed.

Ace
the elephant

Post by the elephant »

Roy:

You'll get the horn soon, Roy. I promise. :teeth: (I am still healing, and the horn needs a thorough going-over before I sell it.)

I have been using bloke's Symphony on it and like it very much. I use it on both my 186s, too. I always used a Conn Helleberg 120 on these, since just after high school. In high school, I used the old Mirafone Rose Orchestra for a few years. I have also used and liked a PT-88, but it did not make enough color for me. I could play very loudly and it did not break up, but it also did not seem to project as well as the Helleberg — for me, and how I play. I did not play this type of tuba from 1993 up to 2015 when I bought this nice 410 from Tom. He strongly recommended the Selmansberger Symphony. I bought one and did not care for it that much, initially. However, over time I decided I really liked the reverse taper shank, that it seemed to help some of the weaknesses of the horn, but played like a traditional Helleberg, again — for me. I have since adopted that and one of his Solo mouthpieces as my only work mouthpieces for all my horns, in 90% of the stuff I do. I would seriously look at one of those or the Imperial since he now recommended that cup over the Symphony.

In regards to that…

Joe:

Please compare the Symphony to the Imperial. I might want to purchase with a little Christmas gig money in January, if the world has not ended by that time, and your chart is, of course, no longer available on the other site. Since so many seem to have homed in on the Symphony for the 186-class horns and now you prefer the Imperial, perhaps we need to have a clear comparison between the two for the archives of this site. (If you have posted another comparison list here, maybe you could link to it?)

:smilie8:
bone-a-phone

Post by bone-a-phone »

bloke wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:17 pm This isn’t exactly a “melodious étude“, but when my bass trombone buddy and I were having a little bit of fun “playing” :eyes: some over-the-top Borodin (youtube) -
You mean this one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkF-XhOME2g
These users thanked the author bone-a-phone for the post:
bloke (Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:07 am)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

:laugh: I had forgotten just how silly that video actually is. :red:

Wade,
Words are blather (and particularly a salesman's words - again: my words). :teeth:

Far better than my blather (below), You can try one for a few days and return if it isn't right for you.

I do find, though, that the Imperial cup/back-bore is really good for several things:

- big E-flat tuba: assist in (if desired) sounding more "contrabass-ish" (if paired with a 1/8" deeper rim, or cup extender ring)...a better choice (at least: for me) than often-sought "Helleberg" and "24AW" attempts to accomplish this
- PT-6-P which - sometimes- are 'too dark'-sounding for some folks' tastes: (if paired with a 1/8" deeper rim, or cup extender ring) offers significant additional clarity, without resorting to a shallow cup
- 186 C: (with standard depth rim) just the right balance of "zip" and "foundation" - particularly for those who ALSO own a larger contrabass tuba, and are looking for an even more noticeable difference between the two instruments (ie. a "bridge" between 6/4 sonority and F tuba sonority)
- rotary F tuba (such as my own 5-bore-sizes B&S - 17mm - 21mm) - (standard depth rim) offers an alternative to and imitation of the type of sonority that many "piston" or so-called "big" F tubas tend to emit...ie. a "wider" sound, yet with no loss of range/flexibility accessibility (as compared to a shallower bowl-style cup)

Obviously, many other players find many more uses.
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
the elephant (Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:35 pm)
matt g

Post by matt g »

As a disclaimer, I own one of @bloke’s mouthpieces and think it’s great.

However, since I don’t know OP super well, I’ll offer my two cents on mouthpieces I liked for Miraphones:

Bach 18 and Bach 7.

The 7 made them sound really full, and the 18 was middle of the road and more security in the upper register. These horns have a good enough scale and response to not care as much about other stuff.

I could never get into PT-style rims and mouthpieces, so I have no clue there.

I did *not* like the Conn Helleberg with a ‘Phone. Not at all, regardless of the rim. I also didn’t like the Bach 24AW, but that’s more about the rim, for me.

My 186 BBb came with a C4 (now TU23). It worked well but was too bright/edgy for my sound concept. That being said, I’d try a Marcinkiewicz N4 (Tommy Johnson model) now (I own one) in a 186/188 because I like the rim and would possibly enjoy that “large bass trombone” sound the combo could yield.
These users thanked the author matt g for the post:
the elephant (Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:35 pm)
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
the elephant

Post by the elephant »

bloke wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:08 am186 C: (with standard depth rim) just the right balance of "zip" and "foundation" - particularly for those who ALSO own a larger contrabass tuba, and are looking for an even more noticeable difference between the two instruments
I love my 1964 Holton 345 for the sound I can coax out of that bell, despite all the putzing around with the machine that I have done over the years.

I love my 1971 186 CC precisely because it does not sound at all like my Holton 345.

The larger leadpipe and Symphony cup seem to make it more useful in the orchestra for me than, say, a stock, modern 186, as it has a slightly bigger sound (on the order of a 188) with more bite than the current 186 bell (or 188, for that matter) seems to want to produce without a whole lot of extra effort on my part. For my uses, it sings a song I prefer, but which others may not. However, it is not a great quintet tuba, much like my old Alexander 163. I am imaging a sound much like my Kurath (a proto-Willson 3200 FA-5) with a more solid low range with the ability to really produce a good walking bass line that is "fat". The F tubas I have used in quintet never offer me that without a lot of extra work. My Alexander 163 was my go-go horn for improved "traditional jazz" gigs because the low register walked like nobody's business with no work whatsoever, down low or high up. This 186 is like that for me.

The issue I have is that I have developed a love for underplaying in a quintet, so that the tuba is actually balanced with the others, not just "blended" and an F tuba like my Kurath is sort of overly large for modern works like the Michael Tilson Thomas, or Ewazen pieces, again, for my tastes. That means my only quintet horn needs to be able to play those mislabeled quintet tuba bass trombone parts with some sort of delicacy while being able to play walking basslines with a drum set when needed. (One of the quintets appears with a set drummer quite often.)

I need the Symphony cup's clean, clear product but need my 186 to on occasion play like a 185. I am guessing that your Imperial would be a very nice compromise to allow me to use the one horn in quintet. I detest carrying more than one horn. Many of our quintet services are three-a-day kiddie shows that require us to literally run to the cars after one to make it on time to the next. So that forms my habit and attitude that says "one horn only" in such a setting. tl;dr — I am lazy and want a magical do-it-all tuba for quintet that can still punch above its weight in the orchestra. This tuba is very close to that but is too big with the Symphony 'piece in a quintet setting.

Lots of words. I am hoping they make some sense to the point where you can give me a solid yes or no to whether the Imperial is what I may need. I am even more financially challenged right now than in the past 15 months as the wife's UI benefits just ran out and we are trying to not lose our utilities. I am selling off three or four horns ASAP to prevent this. So for the foreseeable future, I will have to pass on your kind trial offer. I will probably just buy one outright once things settle down here. I am imagining this will be in September or October when all my freelance starts back up.
the elephant

Post by the elephant »

Should that have been a PM? I think that should have been a PM. However, I think your response to my inquiry would be instructive to Roy. When shopping for a mouthpiece it is always good to listen in on a conversation like this one, I think.

@royjohn, I will PM you this weekend. I have your phone number, too. But I won't cold call. We can set up something. Get one of Joe's mouthpieces. They are modular, so you can fool around with different combos until you are pleased. Expensive? Yes. But they have proved their value to me and many others.

If you buy one and don't like it (and it is a Symphony or an Imperial cup) I will buy it from you if it is outside your return date. I like his mouthpieces that much.

Watch for a PM from me on Sunday evening, maybe on Monday. Take care, sir! :cheers:
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

All I ask is that people are gentle on them (so they continue to be in new condition) and that they get them IN the mail (not "back to me") within a week of RECEIVING (not "me mailing") them.

Tracking is appreciated, if there is a return.

Wade...
If you're curious, right now, but not funded... (Heck...I'm not very "funded", right now...)
I'll still be glad for you to mess with one for a week...if you pay r/t postage.
Ed M. (Greenwood) is coming by next week, and I could hand one off to him (if you would prefer to drive to Greenwood, rather than pay postage.
He would be glad for you to mess with it at his house and - if you haven't met - it would be a good time.
Who knows...?? He might eventually need some help at his univ, up there...

Conn-Helleberg, Bach 18/7...they're WAY less expensive, and fine (JUST fine) for playing the "basses" parts in a wind-band, but (specifically checking some of those boxes in the original post) the thing of mine suggested probably checks those boxes better.
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
the elephant (Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:13 pm)
the elephant

Post by the elephant »

I have no money for anything right now. I am scraping together funds for the drive to Austin to return the 2165, and I have to change out a Honda timing belt (huge PITA on the 2001 Accord) before I can hit the road. The gas expense is stressing me out quite a bit, not to mention the $300 for the parts. And I am still recovering from surgery, so that much butt-time in the car is not looking too sexy at the moment.

I will *definitely* get one of your Imperials when all this nonsense clears up in the Fall. Thanks very much for the kind offer, though.

One thing I want to see is how my "smaller" (185-ish) CC "cut" 186 plays with the Symphony next to the larger factory CC 186 with the Imperial. It would be a neat trick to get them to play with the same "feel" when practicing. The cut horn was supposed to be a never put away, always out and ready to play practice horn.

I love screwing around with stuff in this manner. HAHAHA!!!
matt g

Post by matt g »

bloke wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:15 pmConn-Helleberg, Bach 18/7...they're WAY less expensive, and fine (JUST fine) for playing the "basses" parts in a wind-band, but (specifically checking some of those boxes in the original post) the thing of mine suggested probably checks those boxes better.
I only mention the Bach pieces since they can usually sort out a few things and get someone on the right track for a fairly small investment.

No doubt that once someone “learns a horn” and needs to work on that last 20% or so, a better overall mouthpiece is well worth the money.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
royjohn

Post by royjohn »

Hello Wade, Bloke and All,
Many thanks for various mouthpiece suggestions and in particular the detailed ideas and explanations that you, Wade, sent. I feel very lucky to have such guidance from such expert players and even a mpc maker!

Wade, the specs on the Blokepieces are here:
https://housermouthpiece.net/wp-content ... heetv5.pdf

I have about 7 mouthpieces kicking around the house, so I will probably try them and see how they do when I get the horn, sometime around Hallowe'en (just kidding, Wade, I couldn't resist...LOL!) and then possibly spring for a Sellmansberger later on after I've paid down the loan on the 410 a ways...-royjohn :thumbsup:
These users thanked the author royjohn for the post:
the elephant (Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:07 pm)
Casca Grossa

Post by Casca Grossa »

I use the Blokepiece Imperial with the Fair Dinkum rim. (I don't know the current title of that rim). I love that combination for that horn.
Mirafone 184 CC
Blokepiece Imperial
Soon to be 5 valve Lignatone/Amati Eb
Blokepiece Solo
Jperry1466

Post by Jperry1466 »

For my Mack 410 I found that (for me personally) the Perantucci PT-82 gives me a better low register than most of the others, and when playing in a wind band with a bunch of BBb tubas, it gets me closer to their sound and allows me to blend in much better. With its bowl-shaped cup the extreme upper register is a little more challenging but that can't be overcome with practice. The shape of the rim and the rim diameter are just the size I need.

The Helleberg 120S is a good generic choice and plays well but again, it doesn't blend well with the BBb guys in the section.
Robert Tucci
RT Mouthpieces

RT-50

Post by Robert Tucci »

Always interesting to hear what fellow tubists have to say. A friend of ours, former manager of a mouthpiece maker here in Europe, remarked:

"With the RT-50 you created the 1 1/2C of the tuba world."

The RT-50 and it's European sister, the PT-50 of our manufacture, is "The Standard of the World".

Bob Tucci
Doc

Post by Doc »

the elephant wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:53 pmI am lazy and want a magical do-it-all tuba for quintet that can still punch above its weight in the orchestra. This tuba is very close to that but is too big with the Symphony 'piece in a quintet setting.

Lots of words. I am hoping they make some sense to the point where you can give me a solid yes or no to whether the Imperial is what I may need.
FWIW...

I use the Imperial and Profundo (tall) rim on the silver 1969 186CC, and it is the PERFECT match for ME and that tuba. The Symphony just felt a little large and there was a loss of color in the sound in the wrong frequencies. The Imperial just reached out and shook hands with me (thanks, Roger). When I was testing it out at Joe's, the Imperial got the bloke seal of approval. As best I can tell, it is the most "funnelish" of the line, while not being really being "funnelish" like a Helleberg. My guess is that you will feel that it makes it easier to not lay waste to the quintet from the middle seat, but not so small that it makes for extra work.

@royjohn
This is not meant to leave you out. My hope is that answering some of these other questions (not trying to derail your thread) will provide information to you to help you make your decision.
These users thanked the author Doc for the post (total 2):
bloke (Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:28 am) • Pauvog1 (Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:15 am)
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

yeah...That combo has several uses, and is probably what I would use...and used, prior to selling that tuba.
That combination's cup shape is basically a cylinder (tall rim) on top of a medium/medium-shallow funnel, which defines a "regular-deep" (approx. "Helleberg-deep") - overall - mouthpiece cup. Since the rim area defines a cylinder (with the cup - then - getting wider at a lower point in the cup), there's actually more cup volume than with a typical "Helleberg".
Doc wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:48 pm
the elephant wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:53 pmI am lazy and want a magical do-it-all tuba for quintet that can still punch above its weight in the orchestra. This tuba is very close to that but is too big with the Symphony 'piece in a quintet setting.

Lots of words. I am hoping they make some sense to the point where you can give me a solid yes or no to whether the Imperial is what I may need.
FWIW...

I use the Imperial and Profundo (tall) rim on the silver 1969 186CC, and it is the PERFECT match for ME and that tuba. The Symphony just felt a little large and there was a loss of color in the sound in the wrong frequencies. The Imperial just reached out and shook hands with me (thanks, Roger). When I was testing it out at Joe's, the Imperial got the bloke seal of approval. As best I can tell, it is the most "funnelish" of the line, while not being really being "funnelish" like a Helleberg. My guess is that you will feel that it makes it easier to not lay waste to the quintet from the middle seat, but not so small that it makes for extra work.

@royjohn
This is not meant to leave you out. My hope is that answering some of these other questions (not trying to derail your thread) will provide information to you to help you make your decision.
DandyZ629

Post by DandyZ629 »

I used a Loud LM10. It gave me the exact sound I wanted. Easily malleable from big and sonorous, to giant chainsaw bass trombone.
Kalison DS CC