Blazhevic etude question

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Brendan Bohnhorst

Blazhevic etude question

Post by Brendan Bohnhorst »

I got an email about an audition in Switzerland recently and it had a work listed that I'm not familiar with.
V. Blazhevic Etude mit Klavier (Lento Fantastico) (Kontrabasstuba)
I hadn't seen this one before and didn't find it in a google searches, a quick look through my music library, or listed for him on imspl.org. Anyone able to point me in the right direction? I like the 70 studies books and I've heard a few of his other works for trombone too. This one was new to me though.

Mike

Re: Blazhevic etude question

Post by Mike »

I recommend you contact the orchestra's personnel director for clarification, as it is important to prepare the correct materials. In addition to the 70 Studies (vol. 1 and 2, King Editions), there is also a Blazhevich Textbook for Tuba in Bb. The Texbook includes preparatory studies and etudes that are not included in the King 70 Studies. Although I assume the Textbook itself is public domain in most places by now, there is an edition published by Encore Music via Abe Torchinsky here in the States. I believe there is piano accompaniment for the Trombone Textbook, but I'm not sure about the Tuba Textbook.

I think this is likely the etude in question, #7 from the Textbook for Tuba in Bb:

I remember seeing a video floating around recently of someone playing this tune, but I don't remember who.
These users thanked the author Mike for the post (total 3):
Brendan Bohnhorst (Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:15 am) • the elephant (Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:27 pm) • Worth (Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:43 am)
Brendan Bohnhorst

Post by Brendan Bohnhorst »

I'm sure that job would be great and all, but I was more interested in another book of etudes. Thanks for the info its exactly what I was looking for!
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

That looks remarkably low and playable for Ol' Blaz!! :tuba:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Surely will show who has lungs and who does not.