Jim Self mouthpiece shank question

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
joshealejo

Jim Self mouthpiece shank question

Post by joshealejo »

Greetings,

I bought Yamaha Jim Self mouthpiece and the shank is smaller than American shank. Is that correct? I bought a Roger Bobo Symphonic and Solo as well and they both enter good on my Yamaha tuba but the Self goes deeper in the mouthpiece and actually It meets the inner leadpipe giving a zero gap and It gets loose so It can easily fall out. Can someone confirm this please?

Thanks,
Jose

cjk

Re: Jim Self mouthpiece shank question

Post by cjk »

You can measure it. The end of the shank on an "American" shank tuba mouthpiece should be about .520".

What you could do if you need it to fit that particular tuba is file off a bit of the shank end. you'd be slightly shortening the mouthpiece from the shank end which would result in the end of the shank being slightly bigger.
joshealejo

Post by joshealejo »

thank you!
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

...so it’s not some “bari-tuba” mouthpiece, then...??
KingTuba1241X

Post by KingTuba1241X »

I've had tremendous success using the Yamaha Jim Self mouthpiece on St. Petersburg tubas for anyone interested in that (and for the later archives). Couldn't say about the shank size, but it fit in those lead pipes very nicely.
06' Miraphone 187-4U