Wick mouthpiece players: do you prefer the Classic or Heritage mouthpieces and why?

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.

Wick mouthpiece users: do you prefer the Classic or Heritage mouthpieces and why?

Poll ended at Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:31 pm

Classic
27%
Heritage
No votes
Both equally
13%
Don't use Wick mouthpieces
60%

Total votes: 15

GC

Wick mouthpiece players: do you prefer the Classic or Heritage mouthpieces and why?

Post by GC »

If you use Denis Wick tuba mouthpieces, do you have a preference between the Classic and Heritage series, or do you like both, or do you not like them at all? Opinions as to why are welcome.

Packer/Sterling JP377 compensating Eb; Mercer & Barker MBUZ5 (Tim Buzbee "Lone ☆ Star" F-tuba mouthpiece), Mercer & Barker MB3; for sale: Conn Monster Eb 1914, Fillmore Bros 1/4 Eb ca. 1905 antique (still plays), Bach 42B trombone
tofu

Re: Wick mouthpiece players: do you prefer the Classic or Heritage mouthpieces and why?

Post by tofu »

Last edited by tofu on Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
bloke
Mid South Music

Re: Wick mouthpiece players: do you prefer the Classic or Heritage mouthpieces and why?

Post by bloke »

Are they any different on the inside?
donn

Post by donn »

I think the Classic looks better - the one that has a fat rim and tapered cup. The thin rim / cylindrical cup "Heritage" looks dorky. But what I really like is a mouthpiece with enough silver plate that it doesn't wear off at the "bite."
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Just don’t forget to shave, and lubricate that rim with rancid bear grease. 😉👍
donn wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:31 pm I think the Classic looks better - the one that has a fat rim and tapered cup. The thin rim / cylindrical cup "Heritage" looks dorky. But what I really like is a mouthpiece with enough silver plate that it doesn't wear off at the "bite."
GC

Post by GC »

tofu wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:33 am . . . I'd be surprised to find out that Wick even asked their customers before they just rolled out the new and said good bye to the old.
They still make the Classic style along with the newer Heritage style. They have most of their designs in both types, but the CC mouthpieces are only in Heritage.
bloke wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:58 am Are they any different on the inside?
The specs they quote are the same as far as I've noticed, but I wouldn't be surprised if there had been some tweaks (or occasional inconsistency in manufacture).
Packer/Sterling JP377 compensating Eb; Mercer & Barker MBUZ5 (Tim Buzbee "Lone ☆ Star" F-tuba mouthpiece), Mercer & Barker MB3; for sale: Conn Monster Eb 1914, Fillmore Bros 1/4 Eb ca. 1905 antique (still plays), Bach 42B trombone
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

That being the case, I wouldn't expect to be able to tell any difference.
donn

Post by donn »

bloke wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:36 pm Just don’t forget to shave
Shave!? I shaved on Thursday, doing pretty good in my book. Thank heavens I don't play a Wick on my tubas with standard receivers.
matt g

Post by matt g »

I haven’t tried the newer lineup, only the older 1-4 mouthpieces.

On all of those, I didn’t like the rim much at all, iirc. I think it felt kinda stiff on my face like a Bach 24AW does.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

not a fan of any of these, and (yes, other than their rims) I actually do like some mouthpieces that are not “Sellmansberger“ mouthpieces.
The only real use that I have found for anything that is remotely related is the fact that JP offers a copy of the Wick size 4 in a standard shank, and it is really really low priced, so I can offer it to people who just need “a mouthpiece“ and/or stick it in the case with some low-cost used tubas that I might be selling to schools.
English concepts - of what tuba mouthpieces should be - sort of remind me of trombone mouthpiece makers‘ concepts of what tuba mouthpieces should be.
matt g wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:02 am I haven’t tried the newer lineup, only the older 1-4 mouthpieces.

On all of those, I didn’t like the rim much at all, iirc. I think it felt kinda stiff on my face like a Bach 24AW does.
cjk

Post by cjk »

bloke wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:16 am not a fan of any of these, and (yes, other than their rims) I actually do like some mouthpieces that are not “Sellmansberger“ mouthpieces.
Inquiring minds want to know. What mouthpieces does bloke like which are not "Sellmansberger" mouthpieces?
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

cjk wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:20 am
bloke wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:16 am not a fan of any of these, and (yes, other than their rims) I actually do like some mouthpieces that are not “Sellmansberger“ mouthpieces.
Inquiring minds want to know. What mouthpieces does bloke like which are not "Sellmansberger" mouthpieces?
If I have to play those Hirsbrunner/Adams/knock-off 4/4 things (which I would not choose to do) those conservative-inside-size "Helleberg"-style mouthpieces work pretty well with them, and also tend to play them "just" up to pitch (as some of that style of tuba tend to be flat-natured).

I also like that same style cup with my compact Holton B-flat...

That having been said, I do NOT care for (though I offer for sale as an option) that rim style.
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
cjk (Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:25 am)
cjk

Post by cjk »

Maybe you need Dave to thread one of those cups so you can use your normal rim.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Most of those of that style of mpc. (that I've encountered) don't feature enough body material to cut and thread.

The thing is this:
I "like" my Imperial cup (extended by 3mm w/ring or tall rim) a little bit better than that style of mpc - for any of the same applications.
cjk wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:56 am Maybe you need Dave to thread one of those cups so you can use your normal rim.
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
cjk (Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:24 am)