Abe Torchinsky's rotary CC King

hbcrandy

Re: Abe Torchinsky's rotary CC King

Post by hbcrandy »

hrender wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:00 pm “Randy” might be Randy Harrison (hbcrandy on TN) who studied with Mr. Torchinsky, I believe.
The "Randy" is not me.

I did study with Mr. Torchinsky later in both of our lives and asked him what happened to his King CC. He told me when he sold his King, it was to a someone at the Aspen Festival where Mr. Torchinsky taught for years in the summer. The person's name was Randy Evenden. I tracked Randy down with the help of Mr. Torchinsky and the AF of M local in Mr. Evenden's area and spoke with him saying that I would be interested in buying the instrument. After a lot of deliberation, Mr. Evenden decided not to sell. When the tuba resurfaced in Tuba Exchange collection, I was rather dismayed to see that it would spend the rest of its existence on display and not be played. Great musical instruments are meant to be played, not viewed.

Sincerely,
Randy Harrison

Randy Harrison
Retired Proprietor, Harrison Brass
Retired Instructor of Applied Brass Performance,
Maryland Conservatory of Music
hbcrandy

Post by hbcrandy »

As a post-script to my previous post, Mr. Torchinsky told me that the idea of the third valve slide beside the first valve slide was his. King/H. N. White did the modification for him. After playing Mr. Torchinsky's King, Mr. Bell and Mr. Novotny had there tubas altered also.

Before my time with Mr. Torchinsky, I owned a rotary valved King CC tuba that previously belonged to Ivan Hammond. I loved the sound, but, for me, the intonation was a nightmare. I sold it after only owning and trying to play it a short time after I bought it. Some of the intonation on that tuba could have been helped by having the first and third valves side-by-side. I later owned a Bill Bell model Meinl Weston that had many of the same intonation issues of my King CC. Fortunately, Mr. Bell requested Meinl Weston to design the tuba with Mr. Torchinsky's 3rd valve modification, so, with much slide adjustment while playing, I was able to play the tuba in tune.

As an aside, I don't post much on this forum. So, for those that see my Avatar of me playing a horn, an explanation is in order. Tuba was my main instrument while in school in Philadelphia. However, while I was studying and playing tuba, I also studied horn with a private teacher outside of school. I free-lanced on both instruments. At my age of 70 years, I can no longer lift and transport a tuba. For the little bit of playing I now do, I play horn.
These users thanked the author hbcrandy for the post:
York-aholic (Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:42 pm)
Randy Harrison
Retired Proprietor, Harrison Brass
Retired Instructor of Applied Brass Performance,
Maryland Conservatory of Music
DandyZ629

Post by DandyZ629 »

hbcrandy wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:49 pm I owned a rotary valved King CC tuba that previously belonged to Ivan Hammond.
I used to own one of his Alexander CC's. I miss Ivan greatly. He was a wonderful guy, and a spectacular musician.
These users thanked the author DandyZ629 for the post:
hbcrandy (Mon May 09, 2022 9:35 pm)
Kalison DS CC