High-end 3/4 Tuba?

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Shawn
Has thanked: 0

High-end 3/4 Tuba?

Post by Shawn »

Looking for suggestions for a high-quality 3/4 (or even slightly smaller) tuba.
Not looking for a student model.
All the valves for the same hand.
At the risk of being heretical, not fussed as to whether it's BB or CC.

Small group jop/pazz, nothing bigger than a beer tent. No need (this time) to lay waste to a large symphony.
Intonation is the big deal.

Thanks.

LeMark
Site Admin

Re: High-end 3/4 Tuba?

Post by LeMark »

First one that comes to mind is the yamaha 621 (available in CC, BBb, and F)

The packer 174 is really really good as well, there are a couple people I know that have one for sale
Yep, I'm Mark
Stryk

Post by Stryk »

Mirafone 184
Terry Stryker
Mirafone 186C, 186BBb, 184C, 186C clone
Gebr. Alexander New 163C, Vintage 163C, Vintage 163BBb
Amati 481C
Lyon & Healy 6/4
Kane Stealth tuba
A plethora of others....
cjk

Post by cjk »

Miraphone 184 would be a my first choice. It's quite small and quite great.

Miraphone 184, 185, or even a 186. Even a 16.5 inch bell Miraphone 186 is tightly wrapped and not physically huge.

Some folks might recommend a 3/4 Rudolf Meinl CC, but even that's close to as big as a 186. The 3/4 Rudolf Meinl CC is a very fine instrument. I'd really like to see a picture of a RM 3/4 next to a 186 just for giggles.
Last edited by cjk on Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shawn

Post by Shawn »

Thanks guys.
Will read up on Miraphone 184 for starters.
matt g

Post by matt g »

An “in great shape” 2J or 3J might work well also.

Possibly a Meinl Weston 2145? It’s a smaller 4/4, but quite capable.

Since intonation is high up on your list, the 184 is likely way better than the 621 variants. Also consider the older 16”-ish bell 186s. Those are light and bright, good sound, not too big.

Maybe a wild card, but if you find a YCB-661 with the fifth valve converted to the right thumb, that might be something to consider. It’s a compact tuba also, but solid amount of output.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
Mark

Post by Mark »

Another vote for a 184.
tubanh84

Post by tubanh84 »

And another for a 184.

In addition to everything else, I have never had as much fun playing a tuba as I did when I spent several months with a 184. They're flat fun to play.
Doc

Post by Doc »

The PT3 (and its GDR predecessor) are really good smaller CC tubas. They have a reputation for being firmly at German pitch, but it might depend on the player. My stand partner in the brass band has a Sander stencil that I hope he wills to me or sells to me. He plays with the slide all the way out, and when I play it, I need it nearly all the way in. But it is a fun tuba to play. Easy to play and very resonant. Big sound.

Cerveny Piggy - you have to find a "good" one, and if you do, you'll love it.

A Getzen G50 would work. Lee Stofer's new tuba would definitely qualify if you have the bread for it (I'm sure it's worth every penny, too!)

An older 186 is still not really a 3/4 tuba (or smaller, as you indicated), and neither is the 3/4 Rudy, although neither are unwieldy, both are easy to play, and both can produce tons of sound.

Rudy makes a 1/2 size BBb that is more like a 3/4. It's like their version of a 184 BBb. I've never seen one in the U.S., but you might find one on the German market. Or have them build one for you.

Mark already mentioned the Packer. I've been very impressed with their stuff so far. Solid instruments at affordable prices.

Wessex was going to put out the Oregon model, but I haven't see it on the website for a while. 3/4 4v FA BBb with a big bell. Dang... what's not to love about THAT? What happened?

The Kanstul 33 BBb (front or top action) is not 3/4, but it's not giant. If you can find one, it's worth a test honk.

If three valves is ok for this job, a Conn 10J would be the right size, right weight, pretty easy to play, and has that classic Conn sound. And if some drunk in a beer tent put a ding in it, you wouldn't have a coronary over it. I miss my 10J.

Yamaha has already been mentioned. Definitely would work. I'm not a personal fan, but they are well-made and play evenly across the ranges. If you like how you sound on Yamaha tubas, this could be one of the best options regarding size and playability.

I haven't tried the Mack Brass 3/4 CC (I'd like to), but it has 5 valves (unlike the Yamaha equivalent with only 4), and it's very reasonably priced. Available in a 16" or 14" bell.

But if I had to pick one that would check every box and do it all well, it would be a Miraphone 184. A new one isn't terribly expensive, but not cheap either. Used ones are very affordable. Easy to play, dreamy valves, great sound, great intonation, light weight, excellent craftsmanship, consistent from horn to horn, etc.**

** DISCLAIMER: I've been a Miraphone fanboy since I was young, and I've always had one or more Miraphones in my lineup. And I tend to like rotary valve action. But I try to never let those preferences rule out a great instrument - I've owned some really good piston tubas. So, as always, trying is believing.
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
greenbean
Damn good stuff

Post by greenbean »

I am selling a Mirafone 182. Only off by 2!...

Tom Rice
www.superfinecases.com
Currently playing...
1973 Mirafone 184 BBb
1972 Böhm & Meinl Marzan BBb
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

When I think of a 3/4 tuba, I think of one with a compact body, though some may consider it just to be about bore and bell size, which I understand, and honestly it probably more correct than my assessment.

If Shawn is not looking for a compact 3/4, then a used 184 would be an excellent choice.

I do know of someone with a piggy for sale that is excellent, but it's hard to put into one category. 5/4 bore, 3/4 body, 4/4 bell.
Yep, I'm Mark
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

greenbean wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:27 am I am selling a Mirafone 182. Only off by 2!...

That would be an excellent choice. you should post an ad here. Did you?
Yep, I'm Mark
Shawn

Post by Shawn »

Compact good, but intonation most important.
Compact is indeed good because I'll have to double on other things; the less tonnage to haul the better.
The drummer is the drummer, the trumpet player is the trumpet player. Etc. I'm the jerk of all trades (poor attitude).
The more varied sounds the better. In these days of 25%-50% capacity, we're trying to help a restauranteur become the in-spot. They want something beefier than a Euph. OK. I want something on the smaller side of beefy. And when it comes to intonation I need all the help I can get because I'm inherently lousy.
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

the 184 is a very good tuba, but I would contact greenbean about the 182 he mentioned. That seems to be a better fit for what you are describing
Yep, I'm Mark
matt g

Post by matt g »

Shawn wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:45 am Compact good, but intonation most important.
Compact is indeed good because I'll have to double on other things; the less tonnage to haul the better.
The drummer is the drummer, the trumpet player is the trumpet player. Etc. I'm the jerk of all trades (poor attitude).
The more varied sounds the better. In these days of 25%-50% capacity, we're trying to help a restauranteur become the in-spot. They want something beefier than a Euph. OK. I want something on the smaller side of beefy. And when it comes to intonation I need all the help I can get because I'm inherently lousy.
Hm. Based on this, I’d look at the YCB-621 or the Mack version (plus it has the 5th valve), the 661 (hard to find), or something similar with a small footprint just for space considerations.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
Shawn

Post by Shawn »

Lots of great info guys--I really appreciate it.
I'm hundreds of miles away from a proper shop, so it really helps.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Shawn wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:17 am Lots of great info guys--I really appreciate it.
I'm hundreds of miles away from a proper shop, so it really helps.
If traveling/shipping is a concern because of distance, Mack Brass has the best trial/return policy around. If you call Tom, he's great to talk with about exactly what you need and any other concerns you have. And a phone call doesn't cost anything (well, not like it used to).
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
Dylan King

Post by Dylan King »

The Mack Brass 5-valve copy of the Yamaha 3/4 is something to really think about. The intonation is excellent.

Check out my “review” on the YouTube...

https://youtu.be/FiCMFvwZkio
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I like the JP179B (a 3/4 BB-flat four-piston/front-action) that I sell just as much as the Yamaha YBB-621, though the JP is not a copy, by any means.

The JP case is super-tough (albeit a bit heavy).

I might order it with a lacquer finish.

Personally, I might barely shorten-this-circuit/lengthen-that-circuit (per very personal preferences)...but would do the very same with a Yamaha.

info/specs: https://www.jpmusicalinstruments.com/pr ... p179b-tuba
Brendan Bohnhorst

Post by Brendan Bohnhorst »

I think that I bought the first Mack Brass 5 valve 3/4 CC tuba a while back. I used it for just what you are talking about and played a pops concert with the local orchestra I make noise with... It did everything I asked it to do and is super easy to play. They are a fantastic tuba for the money and I bet that it paid for itself in the first couple of months. Plus it is always easy to work with Tom.

That said, one of my students has it right now because she needed a tuba to play during the quarantine/shut down. I have a feeling that I'll be getting a check instead of the tuba back (fine by me, she seems to REALLY like it). If I had sold it already I would have bought that 184 that Dan Schultz had for sale. I think that the 184 just fits me better and lines up with the junk that I play every day. You can't go wrong either way, just a piston vrs rotary decision.