Sellmansberger Mouthpieces

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
tubazach07
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Sellmansberger Mouthpieces

Post by tubazach07 »

I am in talks with Joe in regards to purchasing a Imperial mouthpiece with a Laskey rim to take on deployment with me next year. Since most of Bloke’s threads got deleted at tubenet I want to start a discussion on his mouthpieces for new and old members to reference. If you play a Bloke piece please feel free to comment and tell us what you like about it!

Btw my communication with Joe has been nothing but professional. Thank you Joe!

Navy Band Northeast
Lee Stofer CB50
1910 Henry Diston
Momo 30H
matt g

Re: Sellmansberger Mouthpieces

Post by matt g »

Solid design and excellent manufacturing.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

tubazach07 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:31 amthigns
obviously eavesdropping...

Mr. Zach,

If you're still up (now: after 10 P.M. where you are), please check your email...
I believe I found something for you.
Doc

Post by Doc »

With all the combinations available, you can find exactly what works for you and each of your instruments. The durability (and maintainability) of stainless is undeniable. Add to that Joe's hard-to-beat trial policy, and it's easy to see why his stuff is popular with a lot of players. I have a number of mouthpieces in my bucket (I'm no collector), and I have tried many over the years for each instrument I've owned, but the ones that work best for me and my tubas are Blokepieces.

I think I have finally narrowed in on what works for my current brace of tubas:

Hagen 496: Solo cup, #2euro shank, goldkote Profundo #2 rim 33.2mm, and extension ring

Mirafone 186 CC (Blokespecial): Imperial cup, standard shank, goldkote Profundo #2 rim 33.2mm

B&S Symphonie: Been going back and forth between Solo and Imperial, but trials indicate the winner will be Solo, #0shank, and possibly the smaller #2 standard rim 32.6mm

Conn 20J: Symphony, P shank, #2 standard rim 33.2mm

I actually have some surplus parts that I might need to sell. A 2pc Solo #2 (no rim) was the perfect match for my Kaiser, but the Hagen likes the 3pc better (IDK the reason for the subtle differences I perceive). I'll have at least one extra (maybe two) #2 rims in 33.2mm. Guess I better do an inventory.
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

I have 4 (3 symphony and one solo)

I love the way they sound
I Love the way they feel
I love how indestructible they are, spoken by someone that has never been very good about putting mouthpieces in cases, and instead just throws them in a gig bag.

The only reason I have so many symphonies is so I can keep one with each of my german style Contrabass tubas, and not worry about getting somewhere and discovering that my go to mouthpiece is back home

I use the solo with my Eb. (york/conn frankentuba)
Yep, I'm Mark
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Doc wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:01 amI have a number of mouthpieces in my bucket
Bucket? :)

I do want to try Joe's mouthpieces again. After my latest "what should I do next" post... I ended up getting nothing, and spending the money on washing machine repairs (necessary) and a new phone (my old one broke -- which I don't see as being necessary, but with 2-factor authentication for every damn thing, reliance on apps for every damn thing, and all kind of other BS... I do need a new phone. I buy previous year unlocked international versions of phones, and save a bunch of money that way... but it ain't like the old 1 penny free phone with contract days.)

Back on topic... I'd definitely like to try Joe's stuff again. I'm finding more and more though, that most of the big tubas I've owned (plus the Alex... not "big" but at least large bore) work really well for me with larger bore mouthpieces. I've been on an 8.4mm bore for a long time, it works well. I'd like to try out the Miraphone TU-42(?) or whatever the newer model is with the bigger bore, plus I'd like to try the WH-B2 again sometime. The Hilgers was magic on my old Willson, but the combo of big mouthpiece and lack of player feedback made me work too hard with it. I actually think the Hilgers could work really well on the Alex, given the amount of player control and feedback you get with that horn.
Doc

Post by Doc »

bort2.0 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:28 am

I do want to try Joe's mouthpieces again. After my latest "what should I do next" post... I ended up getting nothing, and spending the money on washing machine repairs (necessary) and a new phone (my old one broke -- which I don't see as being necessary, but with 2-factor authentication for every damn thing, reliance on apps for every damn thing, and all kind of other BS... I do need a new phone. I buy previous year unlocked international versions of phones, and save a bunch of money that way... but it ain't like the old 1 penny free phone with contract days.)

Back on topic... I'd definitely like to try Joe's stuff again. I'm finding more and more though, that most of the big tubas I've owned (plus the Alex... not "big" but at least large bore) work really well for me with larger bore mouthpieces. I've been on an 8.4mm bore for a long time, it works well. I'd like to try out the Miraphone TU-42(?) or whatever the newer model is with the bigger bore, plus I'd like to try the WH-B2 again sometime. The Hilgers was magic on my old Willson, but the combo of big mouthpiece and lack of player feedback made me work too hard with it. I actually think the Hilgers could work really well on the Alex, given the amount of player control and feedback you get with that horn.
In my bucket :teeth: , I have a TU43, a WHBH2, and a PT 88 that are not being used. :teeth:
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
Stryk

Post by Stryk »

In my opinion, they are the best there is. You have an almost infinite variety of rim/cup/shank combinations, the designs are wonderful, and the manufacturing is spectacular.

I think I have seven of them - some duplicates or two piece models. What I use most are the Symphony and the Orchestra Grand. I usually mix them.

On 3/4 and 4/4 horns: Symphony cup with Orchestra Grand shank
On 6/4 horn: Orchestra Grand with Symphony cup.
I always use the #2 profile either 32.6 or 33.2

I have a Solo setup that I use from time to time, especially on 3/4.
Terry Stryker
Mirafone 186C, 186BBb, 184C, 186C clone
Gebr. Alexander New 163C, Vintage 163C, Vintage 163BBb
Amati 481C
Lyon & Healy 6/4
Kane Stealth tuba
A plethora of others....
hrender

Post by hrender »

On my Martin, the OG cup + Symphony shank works well.
Last edited by hrender on Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pjv

Post by pjv »

I’ve also been an exclusive user for several years and own all the combi’s except the Orchestra Grand cup/shank.
I’m very hooked on these mpc’s and love the possibilities they give. I’m not using the same set-up overall that I used to: which is great. I’ve been able to change my set-up as I change as a player because I have all these tools (mpc parts) in house.
And by the way, those times I’ve taken a break from playing I often come back (temporarily) to a different set-up which is easier and requires less control, until my muscles get up to speed: but that’s just me.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Having access to all this stuff that I've tried has TAUGHT ME (and I should have known this from doubling on 9-feet-long B-flat instruments with much smaller mouthpieces) that the concept of "keeping the same rim for every tuba" is bunk.
If a player's face is so inflexible that there is some sort of immovable slot (dent?) where a mouthpiece fits, there's something going on well beyond the importance of "rim consistency". Then again...I'm not a teacher (nor a peer-reviewed/licensed engineer/scientist, acoustician etc., but a mere trial-and-error-ist), so I suppose I should withhold comments/speculation.

TRUE: I like one PROFILE of rim, in particular, but moving down/up in cup/embouchure/exposed-lips opening is beneficial for some instruments...and SONICALLY beneficial, and not just "more work vs. less work" nor just "easier low range vs. easier high range".
Doc

Post by Doc »

bloke wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:14 pm Having access to all this stuff that I've tried has TAUGHT ME (and I should have known this from doubling on 9-feet-long B-flat instruments with much smaller mouthpieces) that the concept of "keeping the same rim for every tuba" is bunk.
If a player's face is so inflexible that there is some sort of immovable slot (dent?) where a mouthpiece fits, there's something going on well beyond the importance of "rim consistency". Then again...I'm not a teacher (nor a peer-reviewed/licensed engineer/scientist, acoustician etc., but a mere trial-and-error-ist), so I suppose I should withhold comments/speculation.

TRUE: I like one PROFILE of rim, in particular, but moving down/up in cup/embouchure/exposed-lips opening is beneficial for some instruments...and SONICALLY beneficial, and not just "more work vs. less work" nor just "easier low range vs. easier high range".
Prior to leaving our former virtual meeting place, I took time to look over a number of my previous topics and posts. I told my wife that it's funny how over all these years that you and I seem to have consistently thought very much alike about many things (tuba sound, common sense, thoughtful approaches to tuba and general life tasks, and OTHER topics...). And this is another time where we agree.

The #2 rim is (or is the closest to) the rim I've always wanted but never found. I also think the size of the mouthpiece and rim ought to be what works best for any given instrument, hence my email to you about rim size. The 33.2 is a size that I like and works well, and it was a great starting point, but for F tuba it feels a little wide. A smaller area for more focus seemed to be logical. (I sure wouldn't play euphonium with a 33.2 ANYHTING - way too big). I just want whatever I have to work the best so I have my best chance to do however well I can. I did spend a bunch of time on the smaller rim yesterday, and it just seems easier. More trials in the next few days.

BTW, the wife said that you and I don't have everything in common. She said y'all are the nicest, most wonderful people! :shock:
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
Yadent

Post by Yadent »

I am somewhat behind the times as I use a 2 piece Solo #1 with a Sellmansberger #2 32.9mm rim on my Willson 3400. The mp feels great and most importantly, my horn responds well to my needs with that mp combo. For me, the mouthpiece works. Period. Highly recommend.
Music is the spice of life. Without it, our life would seem tasteless and boring.... -moaj hyder

Besson 983
Wessex Danube
King 1168S Euphonium
1901 King HN White Monster Eb
Schiller Bass Trumpet
Schiller F Cimbasso
djwpe

Post by djwpe »

bort2.0 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:28 am

My TU-43 (came with the Hagen) doesn’t get used much, because it demands lots of face time for me to articulate cleanly with it, and I don’t practice tuba much, being a euphonium and trombone guy primarily.

The TU-43 makes an incredible sound, but I can get 95% of the sound and much better articulation with the Bloke Symphony with profundo rim.

I’m happy to lend you the TU-43 (as I did for Doc when he was on a mouthpiece safari).

Don
tubro
Has thanked: 0

Post by tubro »

Is there any dealer in europe?
Pauvog1

Post by Pauvog1 »

I use Joe"s mouthpieces. Especially the symphony on CC and Solo on F. Everytime I've tried something else I end up coming back.

The options in rim profile, diameter and depth are awesome.
MW 2155
PT-18p (MRP)
JP 274 MKII
Casca Grossa

Post by Casca Grossa »

I have the Imperial with the Profundo rim. It is awesome. Great combination for My Miraclone 186. I use the Solo #1 on my bass tubas although I have been using it occassionally in my CC.
Mirafone 184 CC
Blokepiece Imperial
Soon to be 5 valve Lignatone/Amati Eb
Blokepiece Solo
cjk

Post by cjk »

tubro wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:29 am Is there any dealer in europe?
I'm certain that Joe will ship overseas.
pjv

Post by pjv »

I live in Holland and have made all my purchases through Joe.
Quick and efficient.
Cheers,
Pat
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

DHL was suggested as easier for European recipients than USPS, but it's epically more time consuming (and expensive) at this end.

It p!$$ed me off when USPS took the 1st Class International (the lowest cost) option off the website, because I could do all that customs jazz on my computer, and stick stuff in my big blue roadside mailbox - just down the road...

...so I'm now forced to take the (First Class International postage) mouthpiece mailings into a post office...
...but there are two only 7 miles away ( north or south - even though I'm in the middle of nowhere) and I pass by one or the other of those once every 1 to 3 days...

...and I make special trips, if someone's chomping at the bit...There's always crap I could buy at those little towns' dollar stores. :smilie7: