What tuba(s) do YOU consider to be optimal for orchestras?

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Doc

Re: What tuba(s) do YOU consider to be optimal for orchestras?

Post by Doc »

Yorkboy wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:49 pm
A - “Boy, is this water cold”

B - “Yeah, and it’s deep, too”

That NEVER gets old. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
These users thanked the author Doc for the post (total 2):
Three Valves (Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:56 pm) • Yorkboy (Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:48 pm)

Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
Casca Grossa

Post by Casca Grossa »

Whichever horn you can best play in tune with the rest of the group...Miraphone 188.
Mirafone 184 CC
Blokepiece Imperial
Soon to be 5 valve Lignatone/Amati Eb
Blokepiece Solo
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Although I haven't seen one in orchestra in quite some time (if ever), I'm really a fan of the Miraphone 1291 as well.

I had one for several years, and those were also the busiest tuba years of my life. The one I had was VERY easy to play, could make a LOT of sound when needed, and was as simple to play in-tune as the 188 (Joe won't believe me, I'm sure). I sold it and moved on to a bazillion other tubas, but I know that if I would have kept the 1291 forever, I would have been just fine. I also owned, and used, 1 single mouthpiece during that time.

Kind of weird, huh? Owning 1 tuba and 1 mouthpiece and playing constantly gave me the BEST results. :huh: :facepalm2:
matt g

Post by matt g »

cthuba wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:37 am
matt g wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:23 am
bloke wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:23 pm Everyone says that what I use is great, but I just don't see many people using what I use...so I'm just going to post the group-think thing (which I don't actually believe), and say,

"Son...What you need a grande archestrul six-quahter sea chtubar !!!"
The 2155/2000/5450/etc and the PT-6(P) would be excellent “go-to” tubas as well.

The problem with “optimal” is that it’s like trying to find the best objective solution to a very subjective problem.

I understand that this is hard to pin down... But I wasn't really looking for answers just opinions namely to see of the general consensus had changed at all.
It’s an interesting discussion for sure. I’m not intending to dismiss anyone’s opinion, rather most all opinions are valid in this context.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
edfirth
Has thanked: 0

Post by edfirth »

Based on listening to orchestral tuba players since 1972 my favorite sound came out of an Alexander 163 ... when being played by Chester Schmitz. Ed
These users thanked the author edfirth for the post (total 3):
bowerybum (Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:01 am) • Stryk (Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:30 pm) • hrender (Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:10 pm)
Sousaswag

Post by Sousaswag »

I love my 5450. All of this is really subjective, I just find that I have an easier time supporting an ensemble as the only tuba player with something around the size of the 5450, i.e. the Pt6(P), MRP, Willson, etc. I'd rather have to hold back than constantly push the horn to give more. I personally don't like the gymnastics most 6/4 tubas require in the intonation department, nor do I like the consistent fluffy articulation that all of them seem to share. 5/4 is the winner for me.
These users thanked the author Sousaswag for the post:
KingTuba1241X (Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:23 pm)
Meinl Weston 2165
B&M CC
Willson 3200RZ-5
Holton 340
Holton 350
Pan-American Eb
King Medium Eb
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Hi like an instrument that makes a nice sound, doesn’t require a bunch of violent slide movement to play in tune, and isn’t built like a piece of crap.
—————
What if we work it backwards?

“I like working in orchestras with at least 16 fiddle players… Maybe 20 or more…all who play really well on really nice resonant instruments… so I’m never told to barely play, in order that they be heard.”
These users thanked the author bloke for the post (total 2):
davidgilbreath (Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:50 pm) • DandyZ629 (Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:17 pm)
kingrob76

Post by kingrob76 »

I played 31 seasons with a better-than-most "regional" orchestra in the DC area and used the following horns more than once:

Cerveny Piggy CC
Mirafone 188
Yamaha 321 Eb
Yamaha 621 F
Kalison Pro 2000 CC
Yamaha 821 F
Besson 983 Eb
Getzen Canadian Brass CB-50
Alexander F
Miraphone 1291

There was only ONE time when I didn't feel like I had the right horn / sound for a concert, and that was doing Tchaik 6 on my CB-50 (although the director really liked the sound quality of that horn). I just didn't like the way it paired with the trombone section for that show, and didn't full come to that realization until dress rehearsal in the hall. For reference, the orchestra size bounced between about 70 and 80 most seasons.

At some point, tubas become something like golf clubs - use the right tool at the right time in the right place in the right way. Don't underestimate the importance of what the director is looking for in terms of sound. Listen to the trombone section - are they killing it, do they struggle, or is it hit and miss? How many basses? 3? 8? 11? All this matters. Alan Baer once said in a masterclass that his job was to add depth to the trombones and clarity to the basses, and it's a brilliant one-line synopsis.

From my list, if told I had to choose one horn and that was it I'd pick the 1291 but the 188 is really close. The 188 offers more flexibility away from the orchestra though.
Rob. Just Rob.
2nd tenor

Post by 2nd tenor »

Vegasbound wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:08 am Besson 981/2 but I am in the UK ( and studied with Patrick Harrild)

Or a CC if the rep calls for it
From another Forum I know that Vegasbound is an ex-Military Bandsman, he that still plays to a high standard but now earns his living outside of playing music.

From what little I know of U.K. Orchestras the four valve compensation Eb Bass is the weapon of choice for U.K. Orchestral players. Whether they are the best instrument or not I do not know but you can be certain sure that they wouldn’t be used if they weren’t up to the job. Sometimes what separates the best tool from the rest really isn’t particularly noticeable, whereas skill is.

(Patrick Harrild was for many years the Principle Tuba in one of the UK’s most respected Orchestras . He primarily played a Besson Sovereign four valve Eb.
https://lso.co.uk/more/blog/641-a-farew ... -tuba.html
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p_LW-98USAM )
KingTuba1241X

Post by KingTuba1241X »

Sometimes what separates the best tool from the rest really isn’t particularly noticeable, whereas skill is.
That quote is quite profound. Brings it to perspective fairly quickly for me. :thumbsup:
06' Miraphone 187-4U