New Section!

LeMark
Site Admin

New Section!

Post by LeMark »

I've added a new forum to highlight the V & E Simonetti Historic Tuba Collection in Durham, NC. My wife and I visited Vince last month, and it was quite an experience. Vince has amazing stories to tell about every instrument in his collection, and I'd like to use this forum to highlight some of them and encourage people to go see the collection themselves.

I'm going to be going back in time and posting older articles he's put on his facebook page, if you want to follow his updates in real time, please subscribe to his facebook channel

https://www.facebook.com/simonettitubacollection/

If we get questions or conversation about any of the posts, I can send Vince a note and hopefully he will pop on here to share extra information with us. I talked to him, and he's a little concerned about over extending himself, but I told him I would take care of most of the work, and he can contribute at his comfort level. Glad to have him onboard!
Attachments
109333941_10158757541936584_95558401959192236_n.jpg
109333941_10158757541936584_95558401959192236_n.jpg (74.2 KiB) Viewed 2235 times

Yep, I'm Mark
bisontuba

Re: New Section!

Post by bisontuba »

Fantastic.

He is adding a new horn come Monday too..... :thumbsup:
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

Always wanted to visit that place
Wibbly wobbly, tubaly woobaly . . . stuff
ParLawGod
Site Admin

Post by ParLawGod »

This is amazing! Thank you for making this happen!
tubanews
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by tubanews »

Its yellow now! Thanks for this Mark. If you have never been there folks, you should go.
Wessex Chicago York
matt g

Post by matt g »

To broaden the scope of this (awesome btw) forum idea, could it simply be “historical tuba photos”? That way maybe we can entice Mike Lynch or others to post super cool photos of their tubas.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

If there is someone else with a collection, I could always make a whole new section, and then move the Tuba museum into that section, and make a separate forum for tuba pics.

Probably a good place to put the media forum too :huh:
Yep, I'm Mark
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

LeMark wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:57 pm If there is someone else with a collection, I could always make a whole new section, and then move the Tuba museum into that section, and make a separate forum for tuba pics.

Someone in TX? :huh:
Wibbly wobbly, tubaly woobaly . . . stuff
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

30 years ago Richard Murrow and I visited someone that had an amazing collection. Houston area I think

Only time in my life I played an alphorn....

I'm sure someone knows who I am talking about, but I was a dumb college student then, and just like now, terrible at remembering names
Yep, I'm Mark
windshieldbug

Post by windshieldbug »

LeMark wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:57 pm If there is someone else with a collection, I could always make a whole new section, and then move the Tuba museum into that section, and make a separate forum for tuba pics.

There's always Kenton Scott's Horn-u-copia, which is already digital and set up to be shared... :tuba:
If it’s tourist season, why can’t we shoot them?
Aulb
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Aulb »

I was there over 25 years ago with a friend when we went to Tuba Exchange to buy his first horn. So many cool horns in that place! My friend walked out of there with something cool too - it was a Bohm & Meinl 4-valve CC. Reminded me a lot of a Marzan... Tuning on that thing was wonky, but it had a great sound!

Andy T.
Eb bass, Brass Band of Columbus

King 2341/York 670 "Monster" Eb frankentuba, Parker CJH mouthpiece
E.A. Couturier "Conical Bore" Eb tuba
King 1250 BBb sousaphone
Conn 12H trombone

russiantuba

Post by russiantuba »

LeMark wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:42 pm 30 years ago Richard Murrow and I visited someone that had an amazing collection. Houston area I think

I'm sure someone knows who I am talking about, but I was a dumb college student then, and just like now, terrible at remembering names
I think Mike Lynch is in the Austin area and has a very large collection.
Dr. James M. Green
Lecturer in Music--Ohio Northern University
Adjunct Professor of Music--Ohio Christian University
Gronitz PF 125
Miraphone 1291CC
Miraphone Performing Artist
www.russiantuba.com
Doc

Post by Doc »

russiantuba wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:50 pm
LeMark wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:42 pm 30 years ago Richard Murrow and I visited someone that had an amazing collection. Houston area I think

I think Mike Lynch is in the Austin area and has a very large collection.
Our man in Austin has an impressive collection (I would love to go back and spend more time), and he is a supremely nice guy and gracious host.
These users thanked the author Doc for the post:
jtm (Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:56 pm)
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
matt g

Post by matt g »

Is Mr. Lynch amenable to a photo shoot of his collection? I think that would be a cool project.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
Doc

Post by Doc »

matt g wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:28 am Is Mr. Lynch amenable to a photo shoot of his collection? I think that would be a cool project.
He's a member here. Ask him. :thumbsup:
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

@Mikelynch Was that you that Richard Murrow and I visited? would have been almost 30 years ago. I remember an Alphorn and a Helicon that played like it was blessed by God himself
Yep, I'm Mark
matt g

Post by matt g »

Doc wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:33 am
matt g wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:28 am Is Mr. Lynch amenable to a photo shoot of his collection? I think that would be a cool project.
He's a member here. Ask him. :thumbsup:
If I were in the vicinity, I’d gladly crack out the DSLR and some drop cloths and try my darndest to get some good photos.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
Mikelynch

Post by Mikelynch »

I somehow missed this thread until now.

Mark--that would have been me you visited with Richard. I was in Houston through the end of 1994. Though the number and rarity of instruments increased significantly after Houston, and now has been contracting.

Under other times, I have been happy for people to come take a look at the horns. Though for the foreseeable future, we are pretty hunkered down here.

Though I have been considering establishing a website with pictures, tuba esoterica, miscellaneous tuba trivia gathered over the years, etc.

Mike
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

Mikelynch wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:17 pm I somehow missed this thread until now.

Mark--that would have been me you visited with Richard. I was in Houston through the end of 1994. Though the number and rarity of instruments increased significantly after Houston, and now has been contracting.

Under other times, I have been happy for people to come take a look at the horns. Though for the foreseeable future, we are pretty hunkered down here.

Though I have been considering establishing a website with pictures, tuba esoterica, miscellaneous tuba trivia gathered over the years, etc.

Mike

Wonderful! I was just along for the ride, and didn't remember who we were visiting. Let me give you a belated thank you for your hospitality. It was an amazing day.

If you would like to document your collection here, I'd be glad to give you your own forum where you can share them in any manner you choose.
Yep, I'm Mark
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

Now that Mike has outed himself, one of the things that cemented our friendship is our shared Houston roots. I was sure that’s who Mark would have visited on a trip to a “collector” in Houston 30 years ago, especially in the (ceaselessly entertaining) company of Richard Murrow. That would have been a fun road trip.

Of course, Mike has a vast store of reasons for cementing friendships with many people. So does Richard, for that matter—always high on the list of people I look forward to seeing at the Army conference.

Rick “still a Texan” Denney