Question about my new King tuba

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
DonO.

Post by DonO. »

Well, my friends, I was only able to spend a little time with my new friend today before my chops gave out. I love the tone. It is definitely capable of gorgeous sound but I need stronger chops to do it justice. It has the cosmetics, the tone, the intonation is quite good. Only one thing is bothering me. The valves have a bit of a grating or gritty sound and feel. All four valves have it to some extent, some better some worse, 1 seems best and 4 seems worst. I did put plenty of synthetic oil on the valves before playing. The instruction sheet that comes with the tuba doesn’t mention this, but it does say to “clean” the valves “every day” (!) over the next three weeks (!!) to “get rid of microscopic metal particles that are a result of the manufacturing process” as the valves go through their “break in period”. Is this what is causing my sound/feel? If I go through the procedure in the manual, how exactly should I do this “daily cleaning”? Soap and water? Just water? Something else? It sounds like quite the arduous procedure, with lots of opportunities for something to go wrong. After all any time the valve is out of the casing it is exposed. I’ve never had to “break in” brand new pistons before. I used to only have rotary instruments. As usual any advice is certainly appreciated.

King 2341 “new style”
Kanstul 902-3B
Conn Helleberg Standard 120- for the King.
Conn Helleberg 7B- for the Kanstul.
Looking for: minty Amati or Cerveny 681, Kanstul 902-4B
bloke
Mid South Music

Re: Question about my new King tuba

Post by bloke »

It takes more than three weeks. It takes a year or two - until the valve casings have a coating of brass oxide on them that - daily - has been polished down by the pistons. I’ve talked about what kind of oil to use that costs almost nothing - which enables an instrument owner to oil their instrument with abandon - and without really costing anything, but I feel like a broken record.

If that tuba has been to shows, it’s been blown into and put away wet, a bunch of times. Lots of oil… Lots of playing…
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
DonO. (Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:04 am)
The Big Ben

Post by The Big Ben »

I clean my casings by pushing a rag through the casing. Three times each. Dampen with valve oil. Since you are using valve oil for your solvent, you don't have to worry about getting it all out. Take another oil dampened rag and wrap it around a piston and turn it around a few times. Reassemble with plenty of valve oil,

You probably want to use new rags each time. At the paint store, they sell "wipers" which are torn up t-shirt material. They come in a box and you buy them by the box. (You also can wash the rage in the washing machine to get the dirt, grease and grit out of them and use them again.)
These users thanked the author The Big Ben for the post:
DonO. (Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:04 am)
DonO.

Post by DonO. »

From what I’ve heard so far, it’s nothing I have to return the horn for, right? I do have only 14 days to make that decision. It sounds like the problem will resolve with time and lots of cleaning…
King 2341 “new style”
Kanstul 902-3B
Conn Helleberg Standard 120- for the King.
Conn Helleberg 7B- for the Kanstul.
Looking for: minty Amati or Cerveny 681, Kanstul 902-4B
jonesbrass

Post by jonesbrass »

DonO. wrote:From what I’ve heard so far, it’s nothing I have to return the horn for, right? I do have only 14 days to make that decision. It sounds like the problem will resolve with time and lots of cleaning…
I don’t think it’s anything to return your new tuba for. All new horns will have this issue to a greater or lesser extent.
Here’s what I do daily for my pistons during the break-in period:
1. Take the main tuning slide out and flush water down the lead pipe. Don’t move the valves.
2. Pull the valve out of the casing, wash with soap and water. Rinse thoroughly.
3. Take the bottom cap and spring off, set them aside together; make sure you know which bottom cap and spring goes with which valve.
4. Thread a plastic flute/recorder swab with clean t-shirt-type material and swab the casing out. You can put valve oil on the cloth, but I don’t always do this.
5. Put the bottom valve cap back on, insert the spring.
6. Oil the valve with 2-3 drops per valve; re-assemble valve and screw on the valve cap.
7. Play.
Willson 3050S CC, Willson 3200S F, B&S PT-10, BMB 6/4 CC, Yamaclone JFF-303
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

...or have it sonic cleaned to get out all the left over crud and polishing compound as part of making a new tuba. :thumbsup:

Not a fan of synthetic oil.
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Welcome to pistons. :)

Congrats on the new tuba!!!
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

My FIRST post implied nothing OTHER THAN to oil the crap out of it (forever) and with super-cheap oil (bought by the GALLON, and NOT pretentiously labeled "valve oil").

Your "break-in" should then be issue-free, and the instrument will still be in roughly "new" condition, by the time you croak...

...or until we're all overrun by gangs with brickbats and wooden sticks. :teeth:
tokuno

Post by tokuno »

Even well broken in, my 2341's metal guides created a kind of rumbly/bubbly (best way I can describe it) & noisy metallic feedback.
I followed Bloke's advice - bought a bunch of inexpensive nylon screws, reshaped the heads, and swapped in for the metal guides.
Quieter & much smoother.