Tuba Tuesday: Wurlitzer, EE flat tuba, 3 piston, ca.1920

bisontuba

Tuba Tuesday: Wurlitzer, EE flat tuba, 3 piston, ca.1920

Post by bisontuba »

This Tuba Tuesday the Museum features one of its Wurlitzer instruments..an EEb upright 3 piston valve tuba, c. 1922.

“Lyric / WURLITZER / U.S.A.” on bell, inside lyre-shaped design.
These users thanked the author bisontuba for the post:
York-aholic (Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:24 am)

humBell

Re: Tuba Tuesday: Wurlitzer, EE flat tuba, 3 piston, ca.1920

Post by humBell »

Remind me, where in the US they got made? For some reason Ohio is sticking my head... But i might be confounding organ folks...

Anyway too lazy to look up things for myself at the moment.
"All art is one." -Hal
bisontuba

Post by bisontuba »

https://www.horn-u-copia.net/Reference/display.php

CINCINNATI

The roots of the Wurlitzer family dates back to the 17th century.Wurlitzer Logo

In 1853, The Wurlitzer family arrived in Cincinnati, having already been skilled at the manufacturer of musical instruments.

In 1856, Rudolph Wurlitzer founded The Wurlitzer Co. as a dealer and opened outlets in several cities. And, he started making pianos in 1880. 1865 opened in Chicago. 1872, brother Anton joined and they became Wurlitzer Bros. In 1890 incorporated as Rudolph Wurlitzer Co

Besides Rudolph, but there was also E.H. Wurlitzer of Boston, who was an instrument maker that was bought out in 1901 by, and became a partner with Harry Bettony. Bettony took over his former bosss company, which became Cundy-Bettony.

The original Wurlitzer Lyric trombones were produced before 1906 and read Made by Rudolph Wurlitzer on the bell. Starting in 1906 they read Lyric, Wurlitzer and were made by Conn.
These users thanked the author bisontuba for the post (total 2):
humBell (Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:59 pm) • matt g (Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:11 pm)
York-aholic

Post by York-aholic »

I know Martin made some brass instruments for Wurlitzer.
These users thanked the author York-aholic for the post:
bisontuba (Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:23 am)
Some old Yorks, Martins, and perhaps a King rotary valved CC
bisontuba

Post by bisontuba »

York-aholic wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:12 am I know Martin made some brass instruments for Wurlitzer.

...In 1961 Paul E. Richards combined Martin, E. K. Blessing, and F.A. Reynolds under the "Roundtable of Music Craftsmen," or RMC. Richards desired increased production for the student market. Key personnel left the company and the arrangement fell apart in 1964. The rights to the Martin trademark were taken over by Wurlitzer, and the Martin factory became a division of Wurlitzer in Elkhart. Wurlitzer eventually discontinued production of saxophones and sold low-quality saxophones made by Malerne as "The Martin". In 1971 the rights to the Martin name were bought by Leblanc, and Wurlitzer closed the old Martin factory....
York-aholic

Post by York-aholic »

bisontuba wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:29 am
York-aholic wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:12 am I know Martin made some brass instruments for Wurlitzer.

...In 1961 Paul E. Richards combined Martin, E. K. Blessing, and F.A. Reynolds under the "Roundtable of Music Craftsmen," or RMC. Richards desired increased production for the student market. Key personnel left the company and the arrangement fell apart in 1964. The rights to the Martin trademark were taken over by Wurlitzer, and the Martin factory became a division of Wurlitzer in Elkhart. Wurlitzer eventually discontinued production of saxophones and sold low-quality saxophones made by Malerne as "The Martin". In 1971 the rights to the Martin name were bought by Leblanc, and Wurlitzer closed the old Martin factory....
Yep, I agree.

I seem to remember back in the back of my head that Martin made some stencils with the Wurlitzer name on them much earlier than that. But who knows? I also found some cobwebs back there while searching for that remembrance...
Some old Yorks, Martins, and perhaps a King rotary valved CC