High-end 3/4 Tuba?

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bloke
Mid South Music

Re: High-end 3/4 Tuba?

Post by bloke »

greenbean wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:27 am I am selling a Mirafone 182. Only off by 2!...
I'm really glad to see that you're signed on here, just fwiw.

bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

bloke wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:10 pm
greenbean wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:27 am I am selling a Mirafone 182. Only off by 2!...
I'm really glad to see that you're signed on here, just fwiw.
+1
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

The absolute best "3/4" tuba I can think of is the Rudy Meinl 3/4 CC.

Problem is, it's not much of a 3/4, it's absolutely a 4/4 tuba. And a heck of a good tuba, at that!
tubanews
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by tubanews »

I am in agreement with the 184-5 sentiment they are good tubas, but they dont really have much purpose. Why wouldnt you just get a 186 and be done with it? I also agree somewhat with the comments about the rudy meinl 3/4.

If small is your thing, theres this:

https://wessex-tubas.com/collections/bb ... dget-tb160

:tuba:
Wessex Chicago York
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I owned a 184-C in the 1970s, loved it, and actually bought a second one after selling it, because I had a different idea for a fifth valve.

That having been said, those things - compared to some of the easiest-to-play-in-tune tubas, today -
were (not bad, but) just a bit pitchy, for a small tuba…yes ??
That having been said, less so than any YCB-621...

...so how is the tuning with some of the new thicker metal/larger bell 184C tubas...

...and is the resonance of the newer ones less sparkling?
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

I met Alan Baer once, about 10 years ago. He told me he was helping tk work on a new 3/4 tuba design with MW. I think it ended up being the 3450. Which is really pretty big for a 3/4, but a smaller 4/4.

I keep thinking that I'm forgetting another good 3/4 tuba, but I'm drawing a blank.
matt g

Post by matt g »

bort2.0 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:06 pm I met Alan Baer once, about 10 years ago. He told me he was helping tk work on a new 3/4 tuba design with MW. I think it ended up being the 3450. Which is really pretty big for a 3/4, but a smaller 4/4.

I keep thinking that I'm forgetting another good 3/4 tuba, but I'm drawing a blank.
That 3450 doesn’t seem to be much of a departure from the 2145.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
Furguson11

Post by Furguson11 »

https://www.jpmusicalinstruments.com/pr ... ng-bb-tubaJohn Packer JP379B

A better than copy of a Cerveny Arion https://www.schneideruwe.de/b-c-tuba#ARIONGM

Just a thought.
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

I have one of those. The only reason I didn't mention is I really don't consider it a 3/4 tuba, other than height, it's just like a miraphone 186
Yep, I'm Mark
tubanews
Been thanked: 0

Post by tubanews »

LeMark wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:57 pm I have one of those. The only reason I didn't mention is I really don't consider it a 3/4 tuba, other than height, it's just like a miraphone 186
I know I'm gonna get hammered for this but to me a 186 is a 3/4 tuba. Perhaps the best one ever made in volume.

I don't get the tech specs of a 3/4 tuba in 2020. I cut my teeth with a 188 and if you put one in my lap now I would say 3/4 tuba.

A 186 is like a child's toy. That every child should have at some point. I did play on the 185 and 184 for some months they just felt sort of looking for a point.

"Yeah well, that's just like my opinion man"
Wessex Chicago York
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

Personally I think the 186 is prototypical 4/4, and every other tuba bases it's "rating" on it.

that being said, as with my description of the cerveny piggy, the fractional classification system is extremely flawed, but for lack of something better, we're stuck with it.

I'd love to see a measurement of interior volume as a means of measurement.
Yep, I'm Mark
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

A good 621 will do ya well. Was my first cc and I wish I could find it again :teeth:

The look the conductor gave me for an out of tune low G is forever etched in my brain, and moving between different keys really opened my eyes, or ears, if you will, to playing the tuba.

Also a nice 2j if you want a bit more tubbyness and buoyancy. Remember doing a concert with a small school orchestra on a borrowed one with a blokepiece® symphony and it was a cool experience.

EDIT

I read the original post, and a 2j will do you well in that scenario, I think. Intonation took a bit of figuring out but I had success setting it up as a 3 valve horn, riding I forgot what slide with the left hand and using the 4th valve as an auxiliary valve for the low range
Last edited by TheDoctor on Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wibbly wobbly, tubaly woobaly . . . stuff
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

bort2.0 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:19 pm The absolute best "3/4" tuba I can think of is the Rudy Meinl 3/4 CC.

Problem is, it's not much of a 3/4, it's absolutely a 4/4 tuba. And a heck of a good tuba, at that!
Played one at a booth - at itec Indiana - and silky and chocolatey are words that come to mind... Wish I'd bought it.
Wibbly wobbly, tubaly woobaly . . . stuff
MedicineMan

Post by MedicineMan »

Agree with Mark 100% that the size of the horn certainly doesn’t speak to volume. My son plays a M-W Ursus. Although it’s a pretty compact horn, when he puts the hammer down you’d swear he was playing a 5/4 horn, at least.

Maybe we should devise a new sizing system based on the beloved “BAT” moniker. In this system, tubas are either “LATs”, “MATs”, or “BATs”, aka “little”, “medium”, or “big”. I think it’s more catchy than the fractions, and just about as useful!
matt g

Post by matt g »

TheDoctor wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:13 pm
bort2.0 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:19 pm The absolute best "3/4" tuba I can think of is the Rudy Meinl 3/4 CC.

Played one at a booth - at itec Indiana - and silky and chocolatey are words that come to mind... Wish I'd bought it.
I’ve only played one Rudy Meinl 3/4 CC and it was fantastic. I asked once if the owner would part with it, and he laughed and said no. He plays in Boston now...
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
matt g

Post by matt g »

TheDoctor wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:08 pm A good 621 will do ya well. Was my first cc and I wish I could find it again :teeth:

The look the conductor gave me for an out of tune low G is forever etched in my brain, and moving between different keys really opened my eyes, or ears, if you will, to playing the tuba.

Also a nice 2j if you want a bit more tubbyness and buoyancy. Remember doing a concert with a small school orchestra on a borrowed one with a blokepiece® symphony and it was a cool experience.

EDIT

I read the original post, and a 2j will do you well in that scenario, I think. Intonation took a bit of figuring out but I had success setting it up as a 3 valve horn, riding I forgot what slide with the left hand and using the 4th valve as an auxiliary valve for the low range
IMO, the 2J/3J is a perfect quintet sized horn. Your experience is correct in that those horns work best when you set them up as a three valve tuba with a “flat trigger” and be prepared to move first valve slide a bit. Very good at getting on microphone also.

The one listed in the for sale area is mint. Fighting myself to not travel to Tucson for a tuba, lol!
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
Shawn

Post by Shawn »

Just want to reiterate my tanks for all the thoughts here. Lots of useful stuff.
BopEuph

Post by BopEuph »

I don't know if you'd say "high end," but the Conn 2J, 3J, 4J, and 5J are all used in professional applications that I've seen. Jay Mueller used to use either the 2J or 4J with the German band at Epcot (can't remember which one), but stopped as it's getting harder to find parts for it. A lot of Disney guys used the 5J around town. I actually like my 12J; the intonation is manageable, the false tones are solid, and it's light enough for a strolling/standing gig. Although, I think that ventures too far into "student horn" territory. But I find myself using it on most of my commercial gigs because it's so punchy when compared to my Kanstul 900.
Nick
(This horn list more to remind me what I have than to brag)
1984 Conn 12J
1990s Kanstul 900-4B BBb
1924 Holton 122 Sousa
1972 Holton B300 Euph
If you see a Willson 2900, serial W2177, it's been missing for a long time. Help me bring it home.
Doc

Post by Doc »

I forgot to mention the Miraphone 282 BBb. Although it is not short, it is a super 3/4 BBb.

Another one that is on my shortlist to try, even though you can’t hardly find them in the US (you can order one) is the Meinl Weston 2011 RA. Herbert Hornak plays the heck out of his with Berthold Schick und seine Allgäu 6. It is shorter and has a wider bell. It also comes in a front action piston. If memory serves, these are an offshoot of the Howard Johnson top action BBb model. If you listen all the way through these tunes, you will hear his great sound and hear him hotdog a little bit.

https://youtu.be/z62RJPlhl5I

https://youtu.be/BhoIA5TV3eo

https://youtu.be/cucxVLRp3bo
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
tclements

Post by tclements »

I like the little Yamahas.