player's big lips / wide rim (why?)

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Dan Tuba

Re: player's big lips / wide rim (why?)

Post by Dan Tuba »

Follow the science :cheers: :laugh:

Conn 25J
Holton Monster 3+1 EEb
Faxx 24AW
donn

Post by donn »

Dan Tuba wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:27 pm My rim choice has more to do with large uneven surfaces, holes on parade fields, pot holes on city streets, and gravel practice lots/fields. My rim choice also depends on the fact that some days, I have to play perform, 6+ hours of on your face the whole time wind band, brass band(Nola), and brass quintet😂

So basically whatever rim doesn't cause my teeth to cut into/through my lips in all of those situations/circumstances listed above. If I were just sitting on a stage, and playing intermittently, then my choice would probably be different 🤷
I have some recollection of what it feels like when one's sousaphone collides with an overhanging obstruction, while under way at approximately a normal walking pace. I don't think there's any kind of rim that changes the fundamental relation between hard object, soft lip tissue and teeth - but ... the sousaphone's leadpipe assembly has already said goodbye to any pretensions of subtle dimensional perfection, and I wonder if anyone has ever tried introducing a flexible element that would soften the impact - and I guess might allow the player to play more accurately, as the mouthpiece would be bouncing around less.
Dan Tuba

Post by Dan Tuba »

In my opinion, there are better choices of rim profiles/contours for marching on uneven surfaces/parade fields. Clarity/performance vs. endurance/career longevity, or perhaps a careful balance. It's great that we have so many options available to help us in a variety of situations/conditions. There's absolutely no reason to use the same equipment for every situation unless you lack the resources to acquire a variety of equipment, or unless it's your choice to "do it all" on the same equipment. When you have been doing my job for 20 +years, you really have to aquire a variety of tools to get the job done. Thankfully, I have the resources to do so. In my experience, I am seeing more and more playing injuries these days on the job. Approach plays a big role, however equipment does as well (in my opinion).

I'm really thankful that we have so many excellent mouthpiece/instrument manufacturers, and as a result of their expertise/skill, we have access to a lot of great equipment.
Conn 25J
Holton Monster 3+1 EEb
Faxx 24AW
Dan Tuba

Post by Dan Tuba »

donn wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:34 pm
Dan Tuba wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:27 pm My rim choice has more to do with large uneven surfaces, holes on parade fields, pot holes on city streets, and gravel practice lots/fields. My rim choice also depends on the fact that some days, I have to play perform, 6+ hours of on your face the whole time wind band, brass band(Nola), and brass quintet😂

So basically whatever rim doesn't cause my teeth to cut into/through my lips in all of those situations/circumstances listed above. If I were just sitting on a stage, and playing intermittently, then my choice would probably be different 🤷
I have some recollection of what it feels like when one's sousaphone collides with an overhanging obstruction, while under way at approximately a normal walking pace. I don't think there's any kind of rim that changes the fundamental relation between hard object, soft lip tissue and teeth - but ... the sousaphone's leadpipe assembly has already said goodbye to any pretensions of subtle dimensional perfection, and I wonder if anyone has ever tried introducing a flexible element that would soften the impact - and I guess might allow the player to play more accurately, as the mouthpiece would be bouncing around less.
While marching on uneven surfaces, Lexan/polycarbonate rims, are much more forgiving on your lips/face, from my experience. Although, as others have pointed out, mouthpiece pressure can be a serious issue. Lexan/polycarbonate rims seem to allow the player to apply more pressure without realizing it. As do fatter, rounder/rounded rims.

In my opinion, in regards to mouthpieces, there isn't a one size/shape/material fits all. A careful balance between overall performance/efficiency/endurance for the specific playing situation should be considered by each individual player when selecting equipment. Maybe it doesn't matter if you are only playing/performing in normal conditions/situations a few hours a week. From my experience, equipment absolutely makes a difference if you are performing in the "extremes" of the instrument (range, volume, technique,etc), in less than favorable conditions, and/or are performing/rehearsing for extended hours throughout the week.
Conn 25J
Holton Monster 3+1 EEb
Faxx 24AW
pjv

Post by pjv »

bloke wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:28 pm I do like the up-in-the-staff accuracy/security that it is offering me on this particular B-flat contrabass tuba (shrugging my shoulders, as I have no idea why it’s doing that for me).
Now you have my attention.
I've noticed many piston valved tubas I've played over the year sport higher register fails. Not just a note or two but an entire section of a partial. For example, I'd play high F (bottom space treble clef) 1stV instead of open on my old Conn 36J (E 1-2 and Eb 2-3, or I'd adjust the first valve slide).
Sometimes there are even very unstable notes: the E (bottom line treble) on my Martin Medium is almost non-existent, in tune that is. Going up to the Gb and further is fine.
Not that I haven't encountered these issues with rotary valves, but it just seems to be more prominent on the piston valves I've played.

I should mention 98% of the piston horns I've played were older Americans, rotaries being newer models.

Whatever. I just want to play my notes without having to coax my tuba into playing them, in any register.
cjk

Post by cjk »

@bloke As usual, I'm sure I'll be very interested in what you have come up with, though I am very much opposed to the fixed rim.

To me, your 33.2 #2 rim feels like doing the trapeze without a net above the staff, but the 32.9 mm #2 feels just like home.

I don't think my face is quite big enough for the 33.2 mm opening, so I'd rather be able to put one of my existing rims on a new backpart. I wouldn't care about the regression to a 2-piece. I wouldn't care what the materials were for the backpart.

I would like to be able to buy a couple 32.9 #2 rims in Lexan though. :teeth:
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

The prototype actually has a smaller opening than your ideal, but - if I produce them - they will probably be the size that you mentioned.
I guess you heard the little “pirate“ excerpt…
(I’m personally using all four of the embouchure openings with that rim style - on various instruments.)
cjk wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:00 pm @bloke As usual, I'm sure I'll be very interested in what you have come up with, though I am very much opposed to the fixed rim.

To me, your 33.2 #2 rim feels like doing the trapeze without a net above the staff, but the 32.9 mm #2 feels just like home.

I don't think my face is quite big enough for the 33.2 mm opening, so I'd rather be able to put one of my existing rims on a new backpart. I wouldn't care about the regression to a 2-piece. I wouldn't care what the materials were for the backpart.

I would like to be able to buy a couple 32.9 #2 rims in Lexan though. :teeth:
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
cjk (Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:51 am)