Tubachristmas music

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
royjohn
Has thanked: 0

Tubachristmas music

Post by royjohn »

Is "Carols for a Merry TubaChristmas" from jwpepper (https://www.jwpepper.com/Carols-for-a-M ... 11720.item) the music I need for TubaChristmas? I'm hoping to go to the one in Harriman, TN (12/4) and maybe the later one in Kingsport, TN (12/20).
-royjohn

bloke
Mid South Music

Re: Tubachristmas music

Post by bloke »

If they are doing the licensed “TubaChristmas“ thing, I believe (??) that’s all they are allowed to play.
matt g

Post by matt g »

royjohn wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:55 pm Is "Carols for a Merry TubaChristmas" from jwpepper (https://www.jwpepper.com/Carols-for-a-M ... 11720.item) the music I need for TubaChristmas? I'm hoping to go to the one in Harriman, TN (12/4) and maybe the later one in Kingsport, TN (12/20).
-royjohn
Per this site:

http://www.tubachristmas.com/merchandise.htm

You can order the music from there using the .pdf. It’s also supposed to be available for purchase at any event.

ETA:

The JW Pepper site is way cheaper and looks to be the same book.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
royjohn
Has thanked: 0

Post by royjohn »

I tried to order from the J W Pepper site, but they state that they are out of stock and do not plan to order more. I'll call tomorrow to see if I can get the music from the tubachristmas website in time to actually practice it some. $31.00 seems a heavy hit for stuff you play once a year... :facepalm2:

Anybody got an extra copy they want to sell me? PM me... :bow2:
-royjohn
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Ask someone to send you PDF scans of everything in the book, and then immediately send a check to the TubaChristmas foundation thingie, to keep it legit.

I doubt if this is supposed to be here, but here it is:
(again, maybe download it and mail a check to the foundation.)

http://excerptssuck.com/nuhorns1/Brass% ... /Score.pdf
royjohn wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:19 pm I tried to order from the J W Pepper site, but they state that they are out of stock and do not plan to order more. I'll call tomorrow to see if I can get the music from the tubachristmas website in time to actually practice it some. $31.00 seems a heavy hit for stuff you play once a year... :facepalm2:

Anybody got an extra copy they want to sell me? PM me... :bow2:
-royjohn
tofu

Post by tofu »

Last edited by tofu on Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Williams

Post by Jim Williams »

As a member of the Board of Directors of HPF, and the typesetter for the more recent songbooks, I politely request that you order music direct from HPF.
As another post pointed out, the proceeds are used for good purposes.
Despite any advice to use xerox copies, it's copyrighted material-a "donation + copying copyrighted material" does not equal "legally purchasing copyrighted material"
Besides, if you're gonna pay money why don't you just get the book with my lovely typesetting?
I suppose I've fed the troll, but the Colts game just ended and I didn't have to throw anything at the TV.
These users thanked the author Jim Williams for the post (total 2):
Three Valves (Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:17 am) • Inkin (Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:24 am)
The artist formerly known as Snorlax.
Shires Q41 and Yamaha 321 Euphoniums.
Yamaha 621 Baritone, Conn 50H trombone.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

just ftr,
I didn't copy nor save them, and only stumbled across them looking for a place to buy them...and I'm not interested in buying them...I was only trying to help.
Anyone else would have found those with any sort of search, so I deemed it pointless to pretend (though they shouldn't be, but in these days were virtually EVERY rental and copyrighted excerpt and solo is stored on multiple "secret" dropboxes) as though they are not there.

Sadly, TubaChristmas always conflicts with Christmas concerts, church pageants, or their rehearsals.
I don't find much musical satisfaction in reading those books (and I really dislike venturing into the shooting galleries and "steal my car" venues known as "malls" - with my own body and my valuable equipment)...
...BUT (when I've rarely had no conflict, and physical risks aside) it's been very good to fellowship with other tuba players.
I just don't ever play any jobs where there are other tuba players on board. :smilie6:
Jim Williams

Post by Jim Williams »

I don't always seek "personal musical satisfaction" when performing.
Especially in this case, I seek:
*To focus on and entertain an audience visually, orally (I'm the wise-cracking MC), and aurally.
*To focus on and encourage young performers.
*To focus on sharing a joyous season with fellow musicians and audience
*To focus on and honor the event's founder, with whom I had a close relationship for a few decades.
*To focus on and work with a marvelous musical director who brings out the best by encouraging rather than disparaging.
*To focus on and reunite with acquaintances I see infrequently
*To focus on and make new acquaintances.

...and if I pick up a few students along the way, that's OK, too. :teeth:

Though I have had several of my allotted 15 minutes of fame under some known batons and with some known composers in the audience, I consider this yearly event to be the most important one--I look forward to in the future and cherish the past (I played some role in #1 since I was in NY/NJ at the time)

PS--If your copy of the music does NOT have my bio in it, I was probably NOT the music typesetter.
If your copy of the music DOES have my bio in it then I definitely WAS the music typesetter. :teeth:
I am not responsible for the older versions with the 9-pin dot matrix print or handwritten music.
Last edited by Jim Williams on Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

I think I paid $20 once 20 years ago. I you don't use often, it doesn't wear out.

One year we were handed a few printouts of Hanukkah music, since the organizer was Jewish and wanted more musical representation there. Not sure if that lasted or not. I think I lost those parts...
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Over the years I’ve been to one or two nonsanctioned Christmas tuba events with music arranged by others. Those arrangers tried to be “imaginative“, and made me understand that Wilder‘s meat and potatoes/nuts and bolts arrangements were best.
The gimmick is the tubas, and not some “clever” arrangements.
These users thanked the author bloke for the post (total 2):
Three Valves (Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:17 am) • Jim Williams (Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:40 am)
Mark

Post by Mark »

Jim Williams wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:28 pm the typesetter for the more recent songbooks,
Is there a new edition. My book is 15-20 years old and the poor quality of the printing makes it very hard to read.
rodgeman

Post by rodgeman »

Jim Williams wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:28 pm As a member of the Board of Directors of HPF, and the typesetter for the more recent songbooks, I politely request that you order music direct from HPF.
Despite any advice to use xerox copies, it's copyrighted material-a "donation + copying copyrighted material" does not equal "legally purchasing copyrighted material"
Besides, if you're gonna pay money why don't you just get the book with my lovely typesetting?
I suppose I've fed the troll, but the Colts game just ended and I didn't have to throw anything at the TV.
I would love to order on the website and get a perfect official typeset pdf of the music for my own use. It cuts down on overhead to process and ship. Is that option in the works?
Last edited by rodgeman on Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eastman EBB-562 BBb tuba
Dillon G5B/Turner
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

Mark wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:55 pm
Jim Williams wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:28 pm the typesetter for the more recent songbooks,
Is there a new edition. My book is 15-20 years old and the poor quality of the printing makes it very hard to read.
Odd, to my eyes, they are still using the same books they changed to in the early 90's. When they went from landscape pages to portrait
Yep, I'm Mark
Doc

Post by Doc »

I've had the "new" portrait-oriented book for quite a while (old book was worn out). Now they have a larger 8.5x11 book. I might have to acquire that one. But with only 11 Tuba Christmas events in Texas (WTH???), I likely won't need it.

Only two TC events are somewhat close, with the rest being in northern Texas. And the two closer to me have morning rehearsals with several hours until the afternoon concerts, requiring it to be an all day event.
nobody got time.jpeg
nobody got time.jpeg (74.87 KiB) Viewed 1327 times
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
russiantuba

Post by russiantuba »

I bought my book in around 2007. All they had were the small copies that are staples together.

I have heard that they have a larger print edition. Though I never do these events, I am curious if they have a spiral bound edition of these?
Dr. James M. Green
Lecturer in Music--Ohio Northern University
Adjunct Professor of Music--Ohio Christian University
Gronitz PF 125
Miraphone 1291CC
Miraphone Performing Artist
www.russiantuba.com
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

How about shaped notes, for us non-tuba-players?
Jim Williams

Post by Jim Williams »

Mark wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:55 pm
Mark,
There is indeed a newer edition. I did it some years ago. You probably have the version with the 9-pin dot-matrix print!

Jim
These users thanked the author Jim Williams for the post:
Mark (Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:43 pm)
Jim Williams

Post by Jim Williams »

rodgeman wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:21 pm
Jim Williams wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:28 pm As a member of the Board of Directors of HPF, and the typesetter for the more recent songbooks, I politely request that you order music direct from HPF.
I would love to order on the website and get a perfect official typeset pdf of the music for my own use. It cuts down on overhead to process and ship. Is that option in the works?
There is a downloadable order form at TUBACHRISTMAS.COM, in the "WHAT DO I NEED FOR TUBACHRISTMAS" area. They do not take cards or paypal.
In reality, you are best served by buying music before the rehearsal. Bring cash or check. Credit cards are impossible because each event is local.
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

I think the two closest ones to me are either canceled or definitely not happening but not announced yet, so I'll have to find somewhere else to go this year.
Last edited by bort2.0 on Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.