Parker Mouthpieces

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
tobysima`

Parker Mouthpieces

Post by tobysima` »

My teacher has recommended I buy a Parker Mouthpiece, as I apparently am at the stage where I can get a longtime mouthpiece for Contrabass tuba work. I am definitely purchasing a Helleberg cup, and a Hersey shank, to give the Helleberg the slightly bigger sound that Arnold Jacobs and Charles Daellenbach want, but I have no idea how to shop for a rim. I have ideas on what's comfortable and isn't, and I want to find something that works for me. My teacher likes the Laskey rim, but 32.3 isn't big enough for me - I like 32.5-32.8. Any bigger isn't necessary to me. I do prefer semi-flat rims.

Toby Simard
M&M 5V CC Tuba - Bach 18
Mack EU1150S - SM2U
Pauvog1

Re: Parker Mouthpieces

Post by Pauvog1 »

Maybe a Sellmansberger #1 or HLB2? Joe sells both in 32.6
MW 2155
PT-18p (MRP)
JP 274 MKII
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

Are Parker and Sellmansberger compatible? I didn't think they were
Yep, I'm Mark
tobysima`

Post by tobysima` »

LeMark wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:40 pm Are Parker and Sellmansberger compatible? I didn't think they were
I have absolutely no idea. Houser Mouthpieces seems to have stuff from both of them on their site, but Parker also has their own site.
Toby Simard
M&M 5V CC Tuba - Bach 18
Mack EU1150S - SM2U
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

If houser has Parker on his site, they probably are made by them, which means they are compatible.

I do like the Parker euphonium mouthpiece,

someday I'll get one, they ain't cheap though
Yep, I'm Mark
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

I think it's as much trial and error as anything else. Keep trying until you find what's right, good enough, or you're tired of looking. Many people get good results by using something good enough, and then practicing and playing the heck out of it.
tobysima`

Post by tobysima` »

Pauvog1 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:37 pm Maybe a Sellmansberger #1 or HLB2? Joe sells both in 32.6
I'd definitely fit better on the #1. Seems to have that nice inner bite for grip and articulation. I could be wrong though.
Toby Simard
M&M 5V CC Tuba - Bach 18
Mack EU1150S - SM2U
tobysima`

Post by tobysima` »

bort2.0 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:47 pm I think it's as much trial and error as anything else. Keep trying until you find what's right, good enough, or you're tired of looking. Many people get good results by using something good enough, and then practicing and playing the heck out of it.
That's what I was thinking. I know I want a semi-flat rim like a Giardinelli with that inner bite of a Helleberg. Not sure what fits that bill, though.
Toby Simard
M&M 5V CC Tuba - Bach 18
Mack EU1150S - SM2U
tobysima`

Post by tobysima` »

LeMark wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:45 pm If houser has Parker on his site, they probably are made by them, which means they are compatible.

I do like the Parker euphonium mouthpiece,

Definitely not cheap. The SM2U is more than good enough for me, though.
Toby Simard
M&M 5V CC Tuba - Bach 18
Mack EU1150S - SM2U
tubazach07
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by tubazach07 »

I would suggest emailing Michael Parker. He is a great tuba player and a great guy.
Navy Band Northeast
Lee Stofer CB50
1910 Henry Diston
Momo 30H
Pauvog1

Post by Pauvog1 »

LeMark wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:40 pm Are Parker and Sellmansberger compatible? I didn't think they were
Yes, some components are. I use a Parker-helleburg shank on my Symphony.

Most folks I've talked to seem happy with the normal shank. I just wanted something more open (maybe too many years playing on a bucket before switching over?)
MW 2155
PT-18p (MRP)
JP 274 MKII
cjk

Post by cjk »

Parker lists some Sellmansberger shanks as optional for some of his cups.

You can use the Parker website to figure out what Sellmansberger shanks are compatible with what Parker cups.

Then realize that the Sellmansberger cups would be compatible with the same Parker shanks in that list.

For example, the PARKER-ANDREW HITZ cup lists the Sellmansberger Symphony and Orchestra Grand shanks as being compatible. Go here:
http://www.parkermouthpieces.com/shop/p ... mouthpiece
Drop down the "select shank" menu.
Then all of the Parker shanks in that list would be compatible with the Sellmansberger Symphony and Orchestra Grand cups.
Then all of the Sellmansberger shanks not in that list which are Sellmansberger Symphony compatible would also fit that Parker cup. For example, the Sellmansberger X shank is not listed on the Parker site, but will work just fine with the Parker cups which are compatible with the Sellmansberger Symphony shanks.

Dave Houser also created a 3 piece MK7 (Laskey 30H type cup) which is compatible with the Symphony shanks.
tobysima`

Post by tobysima` »

cjk wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:24 am Parker lists some Sellmansberger shanks as optional for some of his cups.

You can use the Parker website to figure out what Sellmansberger shanks are compatible with what Parker cups.

Then realize that the Sellmansberger cups would be compatible with the same Parker shanks in that list.

For example, the PARKER-ANDREW HITZ cup lists the Sellmansberger Symphony and Orchestra Grand shanks as being compatible. Go here:
http://www.parkermouthpieces.com/shop/p ... mouthpiece
Drop down the "select shank" menu.
Then all of the Parker shanks in that list would be compatible with the Sellmansberger Symphony and Orchestra Grand cups.
Then all of the Sellmansberger shanks not in that list which are Sellmansberger Symphony compatible would also fit that Parker cup. For example, the Sellmansberger X shank is not listed on the Parker site, but will work just fine with the Parker cups which are compatible with the Sellmansberger Symphony shanks.

Dave Houser also created a 3 piece MK7 (Laskey 30H type cup) which is compatible with the Symphony shanks.
I'm going to use the Hersey backbore - slightly bigger to help my naturally smaller sound out. I do prefer funnel cups, so I'm going with the helleberg cup. Just not sure about the rim, though.
Toby Simard
M&M 5V CC Tuba - Bach 18
Mack EU1150S - SM2U
tobysima`

Post by tobysima` »

tubazach07 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:38 pm I would suggest emailing Michael Parker. He is a great tuba player and a great guy.
I have - I've sort of figured out the rim I want, but not all the way.
Toby Simard
M&M 5V CC Tuba - Bach 18
Mack EU1150S - SM2U
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

I really enjoyed that f tuba Dennis wick inspired one with the short shank, but never bought one
Wibbly wobbly, tubaly woobaly . . . stuff
tobysima`

Post by tobysima` »

TheDoctor wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:34 pm I really enjoyed that f tuba Dennis wick inspired one with the short shank, but never bought one
Sounds like a nice piece - I don't own an F tuba yet so I'll worry about that when I get it.
Toby Simard
M&M 5V CC Tuba - Bach 18
Mack EU1150S - SM2U
Levaix

Post by Levaix »

LeMark wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:45 pm I do like the Parker euphonium mouthpiece,

I didn't know they made a euph piece. Website lists it as a 51D, is it similar to a Schilke?
Aulb

Re: Parker Mouthpiecesat the

Post by Aulb »

tubazach07 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:38 pm I would suggest emailing Michael Parker. He is a great tuba player and a great guy.
Definitely contact Michael. He is a great guy and won't steer you wrong! I use the Chris Hall Artist model with my Eb. It's a great all-around piece for me. My setup is the CJH cb M cup with a Parker-HBG $ shank and a Houser C4LA 32.6 MM rim. I bought mine several years ago at Midwest, and spoke to Michael directly at the show. He talked with me about my playing and what I was looking for, and he set me up with the componenets which best fit my needs.

Andy T.
Eb bass, Brass Band of Columbus

King 2341/York 670 "Monster" Eb frankentuba, Parker CJH mouthpiece
E.A. Couturier "Conical Bore" Eb tuba
King 1250 BBb sousaphone
Conn 12H trombone

tobysima`

Re: Parker Mouthpiecesat the

Post by tobysima` »

Aulb wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:49 pm
Definitely contact Michael. He is a great guy and won't steer you wrong! I use the Chris Hall Artist model with my Eb. It's a great all-around piece for me. My setup is the CJH cb M cup with a Parker-HBG $ shank and a Houser C4LA 32.6 MM rim. I bought mine several years ago at Midwest, and spoke to Michael directly at the show. He talked with me about my playing and what I was looking for, and he set me up with the componenets which best fit my needs.

Andy T.
So far I'm on the Helleberg cup and Hersey shank, but Michael and I are talking about the rims right now.
Toby Simard
M&M 5V CC Tuba - Bach 18
Mack EU1150S - SM2U