Minneapolis Tuba Christmas

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
JRaymo

Minneapolis Tuba Christmas

Post by JRaymo »

Just wondering if anyone knows if there will be a Tuba Christmas in Minneapolis this year. Been a couple years for me at least but I don't see it listed this year.

Yadent

Re: Minneapolis Tuba Christmas

Post by Yadent »

According to my John Hopkins, Yale and Harvard's Schools of Public Health, and Stanford's School of Medicine crystal ball, Minneapolis/Minnesota......probably not. https://covidestim.org/us/MN
Music is the spice of life. Without it, our life would seem tasteless and boring.... -moaj hyder

Besson 983
Wessex Danube
King 1168S Euphonium
1901 King HN White Monster Eb
Schiller Bass Trumpet
Schiller F Cimbasso
JRaymo

Post by JRaymo »

Yeah just emailed Carol and she responded,

They are having it Dec 5th. Only fully vaccinated players need apply. Limited number and audience must sit far apart and all be masked. My doc recommences I not get the shot I am not getting it just to play there. I get tested weekly. Many of my co workers getting covid are all fully vaccinated. Hmm. Sorry for the negativity. I do understand but it saddens me greatly.
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Even in a good year, I never liked the St Paul TC very much. (Sorry for my negativity)

I've been thinking about the viability of an actual Minneapolis TC, but will wait for the pandemic to end before doing too much with that. Minneapolis and St Paul are two very different places!

Maybe we can pull together some sort of Minnesota Christmas tuba event of our own apart from Tuba Christmas. We just need music, a place to play, and some warm clothes. I've got two of the three!
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

To clarify, the thing I don't like about the St Paul TC is that it's organized as a concert in a church. I'm sure that happens in lots of places... But for me, the best TC events are held in venues (indoors or outdoors) that are open to the public and people can freely come and go as they please, and stop to enjoy a few minutes a few songs or a few hours... Sitting and listening as a concert... Sometimes I'm not sure that I would even enjoy it that much.
These users thanked the author bort2.0 for the post:
MN_TimTuba (Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:42 pm)
JRaymo

Post by JRaymo »

Ive played some really great ones in Indianapolis,

I really just enjoyed playing somewhere once a year so I didn't mind this one. Would be wonderful to meet you one day. We have chatted a couple times in the past since I have moved to Minnesota. You were considering buying one of my old horns at one point. I have to say Carol did try to accommodate me and said if I get tested on the day I can play. Thats actually really nice of her. My family won't attend if they have to sit far apart and be masked anyway so I will just continue to play at home. Maybe next year but if you come up with anything new I will be in.
humBell

Post by humBell »

Wasn't the a tuba christmas once upon a time in mall of america? I heard a story about that...
"All art is one." -Hal
Yadent

Post by Yadent »

Last year I got together with about 15 low brass players at Xmas, and played outdoors for a large retirement center.....in Southern Cal during their rather extensive virus lockdown. It was a blast. Before that, 6 of us played at a couple of outdoor venues. A business center and a public park. We did what we had to do to play. If you can, find a few others and just do it!
Music is the spice of life. Without it, our life would seem tasteless and boring.... -moaj hyder

Besson 983
Wessex Danube
King 1168S Euphonium
1901 King HN White Monster Eb
Schiller Bass Trumpet
Schiller F Cimbasso
ronr

Post by ronr »

bort2.0 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:20 pm To clarify, the thing I don't like about the St Paul TC is that it's organized as a concert in a church. I'm sure that happens in lots of places... But for me, the best TC events are held in venues (indoors or outdoors) that are open to the public and people can freely come and go as they please, and stop to enjoy a few minutes a few songs or a few hours... Sitting and listening as a concert... Sometimes I'm not sure that I would even enjoy it that much.
I agree with this sentiment.
2013 J Packer 379 Bbb
1905 York Helicon
1960 Reynolds Contempora Sousaphone
2022 Wessex fiberglass sousaphone
matt g

Post by matt g »

One other thing about being in an open space with people strolling about is that the book can be played in total without putting the audience to sleep and/or popular favorites can be played again after a while assuming the audience has cycled out.

Plus parking and all the other things to deal with would be easier with a large area of commerce, it would seem.
These users thanked the author matt g for the post:
Three Valves (Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:43 am)
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
Big Francis

Post by Big Francis »

I just heard back from the Duluth Tuba Christmas organizer and that one is still on. I've played a concert or two at the church where it's held. It's a reasonably large church - no where near the size of the St Paul venue, but I don't think they're expecting that many players.
Doc

Post by Doc »

If y'all want to have TC without having to deal with harsh weather or strict Coronamadness policies, you could always load up the TubaForum's northern contingency and bring them down here. We can have our own TC event at our place or at the local community center just down the road. Plenty of room to spread out (choice of big hall, small hall, outdoor pavilion, big outdoor grassy area). We can easily come up with plenty of food and drink, and (unless a rare fluke event occurs) the weather will likely be somewhere between 60 to 80 degrees. Sit around the fire ring and have a beverage afterward. And if you want to see the Gulf of Mexico, it's less than an hour drive. Sound good?
These users thanked the author Doc for the post (total 2):
JRaymo (Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:50 pm) • bort2.0 (Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:07 am)
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
Charlie C Chowder
Has thanked: 0

Post by Charlie C Chowder »

Here in Portland, OR, they are limiting us to 150 player because of corvid. We usually bring 2 to 3 hundred. I did get in.

CCC
russiantuba

Post by russiantuba »

Probably too late this year, but how about a Octubafest event instead using the same concept?
Doc wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:14 am If y'all want to have TC without having to deal with harsh weather or strict Coronamadness policies, you could always load up the TubaForum's northern contingency and bring them down here. We can have our own TC event at our place or at the local community center just down the road. Plenty of room to spread out (choice of big hall, small hall, outdoor pavilion, big outdoor grassy area). We can easily come up with plenty of food and drink, and (unless a rare fluke event occurs) the weather will likely be somewhere between 60 to 80 degrees. Sit around the fire ring and have a beverage afterward. And if you want to see the Gulf of Mexico, it's less than an hour drive. Sound good?
Dr. James M. Green
Lecturer in Music--Ohio Northern University
Adjunct Professor of Music--Ohio Christian University
Gronitz PF 125
Miraphone 1291CC
Miraphone Performing Artist
www.russiantuba.com
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

Charlie C Chowder wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:54 am Here in Portland, OR, they are limiting us to 150 player because of corvid. We usually bring 2 to 3 hundred. I did get in.

CCC
That seems reasonable.

NYC and DC are hosting outdoor events and requiring masks and jab proof to participate.

It's not like I go to those anyway but... :facepalm2:

Update. HOLY SHITE!! Kennedy Center wants proof of jab AND a negative PCR test within 48hrs for an outdoor event!!

That's not science people!! :gaah:
Last edited by Three Valves on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Minneapolis TC is listed on the Website now, same details as usual.

I may drive up to Duluth for theirs...?
ronr (Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:58 pm)
Doc

Post by Doc »

russiantuba wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:03 am Probably too late this year, but how about a Octubafest event instead using the same concept?
Doc wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:14 am If y'all want to have TC without having to deal with harsh weather or strict Coronamadness policies, you could always load up the TubaForum's northern contingency and bring them down here. We can have our own TC event at our place or at the local community center just down the road. Plenty of room to spread out (choice of big hall, small hall, outdoor pavilion, big outdoor grassy area). We can easily come up with plenty of food and drink, and (unless a rare fluke event occurs) the weather will likely be somewhere between 60 to 80 degrees. Sit around the fire ring and have a beverage afterward. And if you want to see the Gulf of Mexico, it's less than an hour drive. Sound good?
I like that idea. But it might be 95 degrees and 95% humidity in October. Just saying...

Indoors might need to be an option...?
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Hrmm... but the weather is gorgeous in Minnesota in October.

How about Octubafest in Minnesota, and Deztubafest in Texas?
MN_TimTuba (Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:35 pm)
Doc

Post by Doc »

bort2.0 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:34 pm Hrmm... but the weather is gorgeous in Minnesota in October.

How about Octubafest in Minnesota, and Deztubafest in Texas?
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
ronr

Post by ronr »

bort2.0 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:50 am Minneapolis TC is listed on the Website now, same details as usual.

I may drive up to Duluth for theirs...?
When/where in Duluth? Ok, I get the where, but you know what I mean…
2013 J Packer 379 Bbb
1905 York Helicon
1960 Reynolds Contempora Sousaphone
2022 Wessex fiberglass sousaphone