Identifying a B&S 5v CC Tuba

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
sidenius
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Identifying a B&S 5v CC Tuba

Post by sidenius »

So I just bought this B&S 5v CC Tuba.
It was announced to be a model 3097 but after doing a Google search it sure does'nt look like a 3097.
The bell is 19"
It's supposed to be from 1988 and the serial number on the lead pipe says 240717

Can anybody help with identifying?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/YLXr46yeXEh62gFU8
Last edited by sidenius on Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

LeMark
Site Admin

Re: Identifying a B&S 5v CC Tuba

Post by LeMark »

Broken links. Try again
Yep, I'm Mark
sidenius

Post by sidenius »

The Google Photos link should work
At least it does for me
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

Works now.
Yep, I'm Mark
Estubist

Post by Estubist »

sidenius wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:09 am So I just bought this B&S 5v CC Tuba.
It was announced to be a model 3097 but after doing a Google search it sure does'nt look like a 3097.
The bell is 19"
It's supposed to be from 1988 and the serial number on the lead pipe says 240717

Can anybody help with identifying?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/YLXr46yeXEh62gFU8
Maybe a 3098. Here you may get help:
http://forum.museum-markneukirchen.de/v ... m.php?f=13
Schenkelaars rotary Eb, Cerveny BBb, Thomann 4+1 comp. Eb
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Is this one of the short-lived tall PT-4 models?
cktuba

Post by cktuba »

bort2.0 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:30 am Is this one of the short-lived tall PT-4 models?
That would be my guess as well. In the pic it doesn't look quite big enough to be the (also short-lived) PT-5. But the 5 was smaller than the PT-6... so an outside chance at that as well. But my money would be on the original PT-4.
daktx2

Post by daktx2 »

I'll second that this looks like a tall PT4. It's a bit narrower than my PT5, which is proportioned like a PT6. The routing of the slides for the valves also don't match my PT5 (see here https://imgur.com/B2tnqJ6).

Do you own a pair of calipers? To my knowledge, the tall PT4's have cylindrical valvesets, meaning that each valve is the same diameter. PT5's have (or at least mine has) conical valvesets, where each valve gets bigger. You could also do the crude test of seeing if one end of the the slide form the fourth valve fits into one of the other valve slides.
Weltklang B&S Symphonie F tuba
Bohm and Meinl 5520 C tuba (for sale)
Kalison DS C tuba
sidenius

Post by sidenius »

daktx2 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:54 am I'll second that this looks like a tall PT4. It's a bit narrower than my PT5, which is proportioned like a PT6. The routing of the slides for the valves also don't match my PT5 (see here https://imgur.com/B2tnqJ6).

Do you own a pair of calipers? To my knowledge, the tall PT4's have cylindrical valvesets, meaning that each valve is the same diameter. PT5's have (or at least mine has) conical valvesets, where each valve gets bigger. You could also do the crude test of seeing if one end of the the slide form the fourth valve fits into one of the other valve slides.
Yes - just measured. Cylindrical valveset
Søren

Post by Søren »

Do not know about the tuba - but noticed the danish posters in the background!

Velkommen!
sidenius

Post by sidenius »

Søren wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:11 pm Do not know about the tuba - but noticed the danish posters in the background!

Velkommen!
Thank you / Tak :cheers:
Robert Tucci
RT Mouthpieces

B &S 5v CC Tuba

Post by Robert Tucci »

This is an early production instrument dating back to my early years at "B & S" (1982 onward). The long bell of the model 3103 long bell BBb-tuba was built into a CC-tuba with five valves. The instrument was sold as the "B & S" Symphonic Model. Quite good, with a clear sound, good intonation and a strong low register. Later, 1988, it was possible to design and build the PT-6 rotary, a true "from the ground up" instrument. The rest is history: there are still some nice Symphonic Model tubas around, the PT-6 and shortly thereafter, the PT-6P made history. These are and remain two of the finest large orchestra CC-tubas in history.

Bob Tucci
Doc

Re: B &S 5v CC Tuba

Post by Doc »

Robert Tucci wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:10 pm This is an early production instrument dating back to my early years at "B & S" (1982 onward). The long bell of the model 3103 long bell BBb-tuba was built into a CC-tuba with five valves. The instrument was sold as the "B & S" Symphonic Model. Quite good, with a clear sound, good intonation and a strong low register. Later, 1988, it was possible to design and build the PT-6 rotary, a true "from the ground up" instrument. The rest is history: there are still some nice Symphonic Model tubas around, the PT-6 and shortly thereafter, the PT-6P made history. These are and remain two of the finest large orchestra CC-tubas in history.

Bob Tucci
I intended to buy this model on a trip to Custom Music many years ago. A friend of mine had purchased one, and I was highly impressed when I played his. When I arrived, the one they had in stock was gone, and I was quite disappointed.

________

After heavy testing of an HB 6 and a superb Alex 164 BBb, I came home with the brand new model and just-arrived Kurath 5/4 CC (2nd one in the US, I was told).
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!