on that site

Read forum rules before posting.
Forum rules
This is for buying or selling your personal equipment, but sponsored selling is allowed as well. We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Price, (even for trades) Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories) need to be included in the ad, or at least be very clear in link provided. It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay Auctions, but Buy it now listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
Mary Ann

on that site

Post by Mary Ann »

What are the likely intonation / tuning characteristics of this? I'm guessing no point in contacting seller based on the info in the listing.
I'm still looking for a small Eb with playable intonation and reasonable false tones. There is someone local who could clean it up.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224677278148?h ... SwSMFheAAU

LeMark
Site Admin

Re: on that site

Post by LeMark »

The problem is if the valves are leaky, it could play like a garden hose attached to a trash can.

Ive played far more instruments of that vintage that are terrible than good, and the good ones ha w had their valves replated
Yep, I'm Mark
windshieldbug

Post by windshieldbug »

Plus, they already said it was sold not long ago...
If it’s tourist season, why can’t we shoot them?
Ace

Post by Ace »

Who is "they". I could find no reference to it having been sold before. Please clarify. Thanks.

Ace
windshieldbug

Post by windshieldbug »

This horn (same serial: 147902) was reported by eBay as being sold for $450 on Nov 2.
By whom I don't know, but starting bid was the same: $0.99
If it’s tourist season, why can’t we shoot them?
Ace

Post by Ace »

Thanks much for info. I bid $100 earlier today.

Best, Ace
humBell

Post by humBell »

windshieldbug wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:46 pm This horn (same serial: 147902) was reported by eBay as being sold for $450 on Nov 2.
By whom I don't know, but starting bid was the same: $0.99
I think it is the same seller. Mayhaps they suffered from some form of buyer non-payment or return, and relisted it.
"All art is one." -Hal
LargeTuba

Post by LargeTuba »

I'm converting something very similar to 5-valve front action.
Pt-6P, Holton 345 CC, 45slp
humBell

Post by humBell »

Ace wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:47 pm Who is "they". I could find no reference to it having been sold before. Please clarify. Thanks.

Ace
https://ebay.com/itm/224662976035 is the previous listing...

It is possible to search recently completed autions as well (past month or two) which isn't a bad way to cross check what might be expected (leastwise fore things that show up more regularly than that, whcih, sadly isn't the case for less common tubas.
"All art is one." -Hal
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

This is not something that I would personally choose to purchase for $100 plus shipping, not for personal use, parts, nor resale.

note: I currently do not have any super-low-cost playable E-flat tubas for sale, so I have no alternatives to offer, and no axe to grind.
acemorgan

Post by acemorgan »

FWIW: I recently bought a very elderly Eb from a seller in my city. I found her on ebay, but I was able to examine the tuba before buying it. Old, but playable, 'nuff said.

She took down the ebay listing that day. BUT, there are probably a dozen "sellers" online, displaying pictures of my horn, and using the real seller's ad copy, word for word, currently "offering" my horn for sale at a wide variety of prices.
Seek not to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought. -Basho

Courtois Eb
Carl Fischer Eb
Wessex Dolce