Piston Marzan

For posting interesting and remarkable deals found on the internet.
humBell

Piston Marzan

Post by humBell »

"All art is one." -Hal
hrender

Re: Piston Marzan

Post by hrender »

Auction only (I try not to post those, fwiw). Looks like it needs a valve job. Not sure who can do that now that Anderson has stopped offering that valve service.

York-aholic

Post by York-aholic »

Those detachable bell Marzans look ‘muscular’.

Me like.
Some old Yorks, Martins, and perhaps a King rotary valved CC
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

It's not dead yet
Mithosphere

Post by Mithosphere »

hrender wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:06 am Auction only (I try not to post those, fwiw). Looks like it needs a valve job. Not sure who can do that now that Anderson has stopped offering that valve service.

Dan Oberloh, but I think he's three times the cost that ASP was. But it's also Dan, so you know the quality is better than the manufacturer.
the elephant

Post by the elephant »

Nirschl-made valve set — excellent quality and to me would be worth it to have Dan restore. Remember that a proper valve job requires the valve set to be removed from the horn, so a complete disassembly and reassembly is part of the cost. It is in no way worth the time and money, though, if you do not also have the entire horn de-dented and then rebuilt by a stud. It costs a lot more, but if it has to be largely taken down with a torch anyway, it is foolish to have it put back together looking like that, with essentially new valves.

So this horn would really need to be completely restored. If Dan does the valves, then it makes sense to have Dan do all the other work. Dan is very expensive and his labors take a long time, usually. However, if you really like Marzan tubas then it would be worth it, to my way of thinking. Otherwise, this tuba is pretty much shot as a player right now.

For a horn this nice but in this shape, it is a "go big or go home" situation, IMHO.

I think that whoever gets it (if they spent the time and $$$$$ to have it turned back into essentially a new tuba) will be quite happy with it. I personally really like these horns, but not enough to pay someone else to do all that work. I would, however, happily pay Dan for the valve work and then restore it myself in my shop. Others — I don't know what to say, as it would be difficult to determine whether the tuba plays well enough to merit such an investment prior to purchase, as I think as it is right now a playtest would make me say no. But a proper valve rebuild could change such a determination pretty easily.

Perhaps a budget overhaul, to include an Oberloh valve job and a local tech doing the teardown work and then rebuilding it to the best of his skill level with a thorough de-denting, but without replacing any slide tubes, sourcing missing things that work or fit, but that might not be authentic, and forgoing the buffing and lacquering. The bell could be fully refinished for fairly cheap, and the body could just be hand polished from time to time.

Nice tuba. I wish I had the money for it. Good luck to any of you who decide to bid.
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

Is the plating worn off or is that just brass from the casing that has rubbed into the valve? I've seen old Besson valves that looked like that and cleaned up back to silver with an acid bath. That doesn't mean they aren't worn out, I'm just wondering if the brown color means the plating really is worn off.

Rick "didn't recall that the Marzans had detachable bells" Denney
York-aholic

Post by York-aholic »

Rick Denney wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:24 pm
Rick "didn't recall that the Marzans had detachable bells" Denney
Some did, some didn’t.
Some old Yorks, Martins, and perhaps a King rotary valved CC
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

With the Anderson/Secrist tooling covered up with a drop cloth, there are quite a few tubas that - now - I just click away.
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
Yorkboy (Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:59 am)
LargeTuba

Post by LargeTuba »

It went for a lot.
Pt-6P, Holton 345 CC, 45slp
greenbean
Damn good stuff

Post by greenbean »

Investment so far...

$1,259 + $273 = $1,532. Not to mention sales tax for most folks/states unless they are a business. :huh:

I would say someone grossly overpaid for this. I think it Elephant is right: it is all or nothing on this horn. Right now, the horn has almost nothing going for it. (And I am being generous.)
These users thanked the author greenbean for the post:
bloke (Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:07 am)

Tom Rice
www.superfinecases.com
Currently playing...
1973 Mirafone 184 BBb
1972 Böhm & Meinl Marzan BBb
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

In good playing shape, these are usually $3k to $4k tubas. For $1500, I'm thinking it's a break even at best. Unless of course, you needed the bell for so mething else, and other parts, and...what do I know! :)
the elephant

Post by the elephant »

The point of diminishing returns was met when the winner posted that bid. It can be made into a really great tuba, but it will require the buyer to spend a good deal more than the final product will fetch if he ever decideds to sell it.
matt g

Post by matt g »

Yeah, these Marzans can be awesome tubas, but they usually don’t fetch top dollar on the open market.

Regarding the detachable bell, isn’t that how Connie Weldon’s was set up?
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
Daniel C Oberloh
Has thanked: 0

Post by Daniel C Oberloh »

Pretty decent tuba, worth being shown a little love.
These users thanked the author Daniel C Oberloh for the post:
dp (Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:15 pm)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

The B/M Symphonic Geretsried 5/4 B-flat tubas – regardless of what name is engraved on the bell – remind me of those big Reynolds tubas (sonically, not so much appearance-wise), except with a 3/4 inch bore, instead of an 11/16 inch bore.
Dan Schultz
Band Instrument Repair
Has thanked: 0

Post by Dan Schultz »

Those detachable bells share the same tenon/receiver set with the Bohm & Meinl/York 'Master' tubas.

I have one here now that is badged E.K. Blessing. It's identical to the Marzan except the main tuning slide is in the conventional lower position.