Throat singing

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Mary Ann

Throat singing

Post by Mary Ann »

So this isn't tuba chatter but it IS music chatter.....there is some German woman who has spectacular harmonics she can do. I have never put any effort into this but have known someone local (a guy) who could do it. Found a youtube video that seemed to have the proper instruction on how to "find" this (I don't think you learn it any other way) by showing what to do with the tongue.
Anybody here given this the old college try? There seems to be another "school" of it that just makes mostly gutteral sounds, not like the very clear harmonics the German lady is doing.

Ace

Re: Throat singing

Post by Ace »

Mary Ann, is this what you are talking about?

Ace
KingTuba1241X

Post by KingTuba1241X »

Also Google search Tuvan Throat singers as well. These guys are sort of a late night guilty pleasure to watch and relax to.

06' Miraphone 187-4U
Kirley

Post by Kirley »

I think she's probably referring to this one:
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

^^
This is the lady I was talking about...amazing harmonics. Interesting but listening to it right now I can't hear the overtones which were really, really distinct when I was listening the other day. Maybe because I'm not listening through my speakers right now. All I hear is the fundamentals. Huh. I think from her tutorial I might actually be able to learn to do this, if I had the desire to put the time in.
James1350
Has thanked: 0

Post by James1350 »

I did a small project on Mongolian throat singing in college and have always been a fan of the sound. One of the clearest channels for teaching how to do it is Alex Glenfield, who's a trumpet player as well. https://www.youtube.com/user/Glenfuch The simplest way I can instruct someone to get started producing an overtone is to make a an "oo" mouth shape with your jaw and lips, and with your tongue, alternate between and "oo" and an "ee" sound without disrupting the jaw and lips. Somewhere in between those syllables the whistle of a harmonic can be heard. After that you can get into finding specific harmonics and adding the drone with your throat (hopefully without hurting yourself - take breaks when trying it)

Good luck!
These users thanked the author James1350 for the post:
Mary Ann (Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:47 pm)
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

I have no idea how to make that low guttural throat sound, a bass out of a soprano...and she doesn't seem to be doing that, instead singing "normal range fundamental pitches," albeit with "less than vocal pro sound." (obviously, ha, different throat shape.) Generally with the guttural singers I can't hear the overtones; with her, that are just right there. It reminds me a bit of some brass teachers who say range is completely about tongue position, and they claim to play that way. I don't and can't figure out how they do. Moving my tongue in my mouth makes zero difference in pitch although it does affect the tone quality.
tofu

Post by tofu »