Your Other “Gig Bag”

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Re: Your Other “Gig Bag”

Post by Rick Denney »

I have a neoprene lunch bag from a local grocery store in which I put my mouthpiece, music glasses, valve oil, pencil, ipad page turner, black towel, and other little bits. There's an open space next to the bell and above the upper bow in the gig bag, and I put that lunch bag in that spot only because it is a quarter inch of soft neoprene.

The floor stand goes in a similarly well-padded bag in the bell of the tuba.

The ipad goes in the outer pocket of my Goetz Supersac. The pocket under the shoulder straps will fit a standard full-size music folder, but these days I'm usually using the ipad and I have backup paper copies (only) in the pocket.

The gig bag goes over my right shoulder. The only thing I carry in my other hand is the music stand.

When I was playing gigs with my Yamaha F tuba, which has its own hard plastic case, I carried an additional bag. Had to--it had no pocket. In that bag, which was a cloth brief case giveaway from a professional society meeting, I put my harness, mouthpiece, oil, towel, music, small rawhide hammer, screwdriver, and whatever else. I often though of how I could attach a bag to the outside of that plastic case, but was never motivated enough to actually figure something out.

Rick "mock the floor stand all you want" Denney

bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

politely-worded question - for those considering buying a 2-lbs-lighter (with weight being the primary consideration) tuba, YET who carry six mouthpieces around with them:

WHAT ARE YOU THINKING !?!?!? :wall:
tokuno

Post by tokuno »

bloke wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:08 pm ...Just remember to change the batteries in the little box. :thumbsup:
No batteries involved - those push-button keylocks are old-school purely mechanical devices. Similar device to those that realtors clamp outside their listed houses to provide access to each other. :smilie8:
Thanks for remembering - the horn's all good. :cheers:
These users thanked the author tokuno for the post:
bloke (Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:17 am)
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

Three Valves wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:11 am I carry a gimme bag I picked up at some event. It may have been a ball game or races at Laurel Park. I'll check when I get home.

Seems like one never knows when there will be enough music stands so I keep my collapsible in there, along with music folder, mouthpiece, paper towels, valve oil, water, tuner etc.
Yup, Laurel Park :tuba:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column