Euphonium intonation tendencies

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
dreamofoenghus
Has thanked: 0

Euphonium intonation tendencies

Post by dreamofoenghus »

I’m trying to determine if I’m completely nuts, or if it’s possible that it’s not just me….

I have two 4-valve, in-line, non-compensating euphoniums; a Conn 19i (same as king 2280) and a Willson 2704. Both are great instruments, though clearly different. They work great for a tuba guy that just doesn’t feel comfortable with the 3+1 thing. I tend to have the same issue on both. I can’t seem to get the 2nd valve pitches high enough. A and E particularly, but other pitches in that overtone series as well. If I’ve got the mts set pretty in-tune, and #2 slide all the way in, 2nd valve pitches are flat. Flat enough that it’s tough to lip some of them up. Is this a known issue for anyone else or on any horns in particular? Or is it that I’m simply 2nd valve incompetent?

bloke
Mid South Music

Re: Euphonium intonation tendencies

Post by bloke »

Making the number 2 circuit too long was a way to sort of “compensate“ without the Blaikley compensating system.
With the fourth partial being flat on those models, the pitch, A, is highlighted as being even lower.
jtm

Post by jtm »

I had assumed it was a compromise, as bloke said, so that 2-3 and 2-4 aren't much too sharp. My (also 4 valve, non-compensated) Yamaha 321 and 1929 Holton (thanks, Joe!) are the same way.

I notice it a lot less if I'm playing with a group where there are other different instruments to match and I'm less likely to just let the instrument do what it naturally does.
John Morris
This practicing trick actually seems to be working!
playing some old German rotary tubas for free
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

It also "helps" 1-2.

Individual circuits (ignoring acoustical not-in-tune-with-equal-temperament issues) - if NO compromises - are all tuned to lower a 9-foot expanding bugle by either a semitone, a whole tone, or a minor third.

As soon as TWO circuits are COMBINED, the mathematical ratios become screwed up...thus this - et al - attempts at "outrunning" those inescapable math issues.