New blood, Part 1 (Besson 983)

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
matt g

Re: New blood, Part 1 (Besson 983)

Post by matt g »

I’ll second @kingrob76. A good bass tuba is very helpful in being versatile. If the 983 is easy and enjoyable to play with a typical bass tuba upper register, then that’s a lot most people wouldn’t want to go on the search for again.

Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
LargeTuba

Post by LargeTuba »

kingrob76 wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:49 pm
bort2.0 wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:50 am
bloke wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:11 am 💡Involve yourself in a brass quintet, and keep it a little bit longer than you have most of your other tubas.
I should... And I want to... But I did promise my wife that I would monetize my tuba inventory. I own 4 tubas right now, and barely need 1...

In January, I'll be starting with a community orchestra. If that goes well, I may consider changing to a Miraphone 188. That's my all-time favorite tuba, and for me it's perfect for orchestra. Not perfect for band. But for orchestra, it's perfect for me.

WTT -- tuba #2 for Miraphone 188 :laugh:

But really, maybe WTT tuba #2 for Miraphone 188.

:tuba:

I'm not sure what the two "other" horns are - but, if I were building a stable that let me play in a WIDE range of ensembles, this horn plus Mystery-Horn-#2-Still-At-Lee's makes a nice pair. If you're doing an orchestra, you're going to want something in the Eb / F range IMHO. I'm lucky, I can borrow pretty much anything I need and get it in my hands within 48 hours but you don't have said luxury. I wouldn't want to play Tuba 1 on Symphony Fantastique or Meistersinger on a 188. I COULD, sure, but I don't want to work that hard if I don't have to - and if the group isn't that big, a 983 might be ideal for a LOT of works if they are programming for the size of the group.
Definitely agreed. Symphony Fantastique was programmed recently and I was VERY thankful to have a Eb tuba. I’m not sure what I woulda done without it 😅
Pt-6P, Holton 345 CC, 45slp
Dan Tuba

Post by Dan Tuba »

LargeTuba wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:27 pm
kingrob76 wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:49 pm
bort2.0 wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:50 am

I should... And I want to... But I did promise my wife that I would monetize my tuba inventory. I own 4 tubas right now, and barely need 1...

In January, I'll be starting with a community orchestra. If that goes well, I may consider changing to a Miraphone 188. That's my all-time favorite tuba, and for me it's perfect for orchestra. Not perfect for band. But for orchestra, it's perfect for me.

WTT -- tuba #2 for Miraphone 188 :laugh:

But really, maybe WTT tuba #2 for Miraphone 188.

:tuba:

I'm not sure what the two "other" horns are - but, if I were building a stable that let me play in a WIDE range of ensembles, this horn plus Mystery-Horn-#2-Still-At-Lee's makes a nice pair. If you're doing an orchestra, you're going to want something in the Eb / F range IMHO. I'm lucky, I can borrow pretty much anything I need and get it in my hands within 48 hours but you don't have said luxury. I wouldn't want to play Tuba 1 on Symphony Fantastique or Meistersinger on a 188. I COULD, sure, but I don't want to work that hard if I don't have to - and if the group isn't that big, a 983 might be ideal for a LOT of works if they are programming for the size of the group.
Definitely agreed. Symphony Fantastique was programmed recently and I was VERY thankful to have a Eb tuba. I’m not sure what I woulda done without it 😅
Play it well down the octave, without sticking out, and nobody would have known the difference 🤷🤔😅
Conn 25J
Holton Monster 3+1 EEb
Faxx 24AW
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

greenbean wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:27 pm
bort2.0 wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:50 am I should... And I want to... But I did promise my wife that I would monetize my tuba inventory. I own 4 tubas right now, and barely need 1...
I will help you understand, Grasshopper.

Take tuba #4 to the least-traveled corner of the garage. Lay tuba down, cover with a drop-cloth or two, a few kids' bicycles, and other nearby detritus. Tell wife you are down to 3 tubas. Repeat as necessary.

:coffee:
Tom -- where do you think I kept that Duo Gravis? (Seriously, that was almost exactly what I did). What a relief when I sold it! :red:
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

again...

Just as she asks you to monetize your few personal possessions, request that she monetize hers...ie. 2nd mortgage on the men-always-buy-these-for-wife-and-kids house (etc.), so you can purchase a few more possessions for yourself...fast car(s), guns, bass boat, related gear, etc., etc...
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
TubātōTubŏtō (Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:40 am)
iiipopes

Post by iiipopes »

bort2.0 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:17 pmAny mouthpiece recommendations? I plugged an old something or another in there today, and it worked just fine. Only had 20 minutes on it today, but it was 20 badass minutes. SO easy to play!

New blood, Part 2 is in Iowa right now. I'll post about that in a few weeks when I get it back.
Wick 3? That was the standard mouthpiece for Besson Eb tubas for decades. If it is a later one that has the "American" or "Standard" receiver, instead of the "British" or "Small" receiver, then a 3L.
Jupiter JTU1110
Conn 36K
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

bloke wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:11 am again...

Just as she asks you to monetize your few personal possessions, request that she monetize hers...ie. 2nd mortgage on the men-always-buy-these-for-wife-and-kids house (etc.), so you can purchase a few more possessions for yourself...fast car(s), guns, bass boat, related gear, etc., etc...
This is getting weird, but I've done nothing against my will or under duress. Have sold whatever whenever by my own choosing. My wife is a kind and generous person who has never asked or forced me to sell anything, tubas or otherwise. I'm just NOT a collector, and rarely keep things beyond what I use and need. And definitely don't need everyone tripping over my stuff in the house.

Beyond this, having some extra cash is a big thing right now. Have deferred a few family medical things for a.little while, which need to be addressed. And also want to travel more with the family. For example, my kids have been begging to see New Mexico and "the west" for well over a year. They are young, and trips like those change people and set their minds on a course for the rest of their childhood and future. It doesn't have to be extravagant or excessive, but a solid family trip in the American West is about as classic as it gets. Whatever that costs, I would greatly prefer to spend money on lifelong memories than to have a nice tuba sitting and collecting dust for my occasional indulgence. It's not my only horn.

If I can find a way to keep the horn and do everything else I want to do (ok, and pay 2x Catholic school tuition), I'll keep the horn. But at some point we all make our priorities and decide on what to spend our money. For me, "tuba" is lower on the list than it is for a lot of you. And I'm good with that! I appreciate and laugh at the jokes and at myself, but come on, as a previously more serious tuba player who is now in it for fun ... I'm doing just fine, and don't need more than I need.

PS -- I have it right-priced to sell quickly if/when I decide to let it go. Frankly, I think it's as good as gone, I just need to make the final decision. In January, after orchestra starts up and I can give it a quick try there, maybe.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

We're ONLY KIDDING with you, Brett...

...yet - defacto - it's beginning to result in (not intended) us TROLLING you...

We'll (I'll) stop kidding, and you stop over-sharing.
iiipopes

Post by iiipopes »

bort2.0 wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:16 am
bloke wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:11 am again...

This is getting weird, but I've done nothing against my will or under duress. Have sold whatever whenever by my own choosing. My wife is a kind and generous person who has never asked or forced me to sell anything, tubas or otherwise. I'm just NOT a collector, and rarely keep things beyond what I use and need. And definitely don't need everyone tripping over my stuff in the house.

Beyond this, having some extra cash is a big thing right now. Have deferred a few family medical things for a.little while, which need to be addressed. And also want to travel more with the family. For example, my kids have been begging to see New Mexico and "the west" for well over a year. They are young, and trips like those change people and set their minds on a course for the rest of their childhood and future. It doesn't have to be extravagant or excessive, but a solid family trip in the American West is about as classic as it gets. Whatever that costs, I would greatly prefer to spend money on lifelong memories than to have a nice tuba sitting and collecting dust for my occasional indulgence. It's not my only horn.

If I can find a way to keep the horn and do everything else I want to do (ok, and pay 2x Catholic school tuition), I'll keep the horn. But at some point we all make our priorities and decide on what to spend our money. For me, "tuba" is lower on the list than it is for a lot of you. And I'm good with that! I appreciate and laugh at the jokes and at myself, but come on, as a previously more serious tuba player who is now in it for fun ... I'm doing just fine, and don't need more than I need.

PS -- I have it right-priced to sell quickly if/when I decide to let it go. Frankly, I think it's as good as gone, I just need to make the final decision. In January, after orchestra starts up and I can give it a quick try there, maybe.
What bloke said. I will not presume to speak for others, but we all have life issues, including me: my issues took about twenty years to sort out. I say that not to compare or make light of, but in recognition of how serious life issues are. Many of us on the forum know from whence you are coming, and we all wish you well. Best of luck going forward.
Jupiter JTU1110
Conn 36K
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Thanks, and just to be clear, we are all just fine, medically and otherwise. It's just a matter of prioritizing what you spend your hard earned money on. I need one tuba.i don't need two.

I've got some "stuff" in life, but everyone has "stuff." Other people have real problems. My stuff is just "stuff."
These users thanked the author bort2.0 for the post:
MN_TimTuba (Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:14 pm)
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

bort2.0 wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:23 pm
I've got some "stuff" in life, but everyone has "stuff." Other people have real problems. My stuff is just "stuff."
I used to be one of those people who wished they had my problems!! :smilie2:

The only thing I miss about those days was being young. :coffee:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
tubanh84

Post by tubanh84 »

I think these priorities are all spot on.

Tubas come and go, especially when you don't rely on them for income. Experiences with your family don't. And as someone who can say that long drives through obscures parts of the continent are some of my best memories, I'm on board here. No tuba is worth missing out on that, especially if you can do it with your kids.

It's sometimes very VERY (very) difficult to make these calls, and as a formerly serious tuba player who now plays for fun and is also balancing work and a young child and wanting to do All The Things, you can lose sight of the greater picture. It's still important to me to play to a high level, and I work as much as I can do stay at that level, but sometimes I have to step back, realize that it doesn't matter for right now, and take my daughter sledding. Or just sit on the couch with her and watch a cartoon. As my wife says, when our daughter is 13, I'll have plenty of time that she doesn't want anything to do with me, and I can play tuba :)

We went to a climbing gym yesterday, and I got to watch my little 6yo find something that truly spoke to her. She climbed until she couldn't grip the holds anymore and I had to carry her out to the car afterwards. So if I lose a lot of practice time over the next several months or years because I take her back there regularly, so be it. If I was in a position that I had to sell one of my instruments to pay for it, you bet I would.
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

@tubanh84 That's awesome, and I have a lot of respect for you for that. Sounds like you and I are on the same wavelength here.
tubanh84 (Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:48 pm)
barry grrr-ero
Has thanked: 0

Post by barry grrr-ero »

Since we're all kicking 'real life issues' about, I'll chime in. I HAD to sell my Besson 983 because I had to have cash at that particular moment for a 'medical emergency' reason. I had to take a medical 'leave of absence' from work. ANYWAY, the 983 was simply THE BEST 'out of the box' tuba I've owned or played, along with a Gronitz PCM CC I once tried (not the PCK). By 'out of the box', I mean that you didn't have to take it to a shop and have modifications and tuning jiggers put on. I just put on a 'stop' to keep the main slide from falling out. You also do have to keep an eye on that short 3rd valve compensating slide - they can easily pop out and hit the floor. Beyond that, it's all point and shoot. I loved it! You could also put all different sizes of mouthpieces in it, and it remained friendly. I could make it sound like a dark sounding 3/4 CC tuba rather easily.

My only complaint, is that my fingers got fatigued on long gigs and rehearsals. For the big German Oktoberfest band I played in (we were miked), I would put my left hand through the body of the 983 and play the 4th valve with the first or second finger of my left hand (or both, if I was feeling coordinated). With the compensating system, the low end fingerings were stupid simple. Those gigs went on all day and most of the night.

Yes, the low E-natural was stuffy. Question: who buys an Eb tuba for a great low E-natural? . . . The low F was perfectly fine.

Mouthpieces: 'old style' G&W Baer in titanium (darker sound!), and a Dillon/Sheridan Geib that came with the tuba. The person who bought it from me used a regular Helleberg of some kind. I went to hear him in a quintet and it still sounded great. The sound just carried!
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Update -- Part 2 now targeting March.
humBell (Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:11 pm)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

The "stuffiness" is due mostly to "low E" being epically sharp.

Most B-flat tubas (3-valve and 4-valve) also feature epically-sharp "low E's".

Thus, B-flat and E-flat tubas are "matched pairs". :laugh:
JRaymo

Post by JRaymo »

bort2.0 wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:23 pm Thanks, and just to be clear, we are all just fine, medically and otherwise. It's just a matter of prioritizing what you spend your hard earned money on. I need one tuba.i don't need two.

I feel your pain on the Catholic school for sure. Only one for us but entering high school next year and a big bump in cost. We will figure that one out but based on some of the new ideas being presented in public school its money well spent.

I have sold a few instruments over the years and I have only really missed one. I am replacing that one this year thanks to Bloke who made the deal possible. I ended up going to only Eb tuba from CC when I downsized. I played a few 983s and they are really nice tubas. I think you said you prefer rotors though anyway? Maybe next time if you are looking at adding a bass tuba and its an Eb the norwegian star are nice I've heard. Have not played one though.

I didi get a chance to play one of the top action Kanstul which is a remake of the york monster I think? That was a tuba I would not mind having. Too bad Kanstul folded the business.
kingrob76

Post by kingrob76 »

well well well.... guess where this horn woke up this morning?
Rob. Just Rob.
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

kingrob76 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:35 pm well well well.... guess where this horn woke up this morning?
Reston, VA?
Blake
kingrob76

Post by kingrob76 »

arpthark wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:38 pm
kingrob76 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:35 pm well well well.... guess where this horn woke up this morning?
Reston, VA?
Indeed.
These users thanked the author kingrob76 for the post (total 2):
arpthark (Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:49 pm) • MN_TimTuba (Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:54 pm)
Rob. Just Rob.