My Ideal Tuba

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Matt Walters
The Tuba Whisperer

My Ideal Tuba

Post by Matt Walters »

Does not yet exist. But if it did.......

1) Weighs 10 pounds or less.
2) Acquired dents all remove themselves while I sleep at night. But always looks used and not worth stealing.
3) Fits me perfectly and is very comfortable in my lap.
4) Works with the mouthpiece I already own and like.

and most importantly....

5) An Auto Tune/Correct that never needs a software update and always functions with a simple on/off button would be great! I don't play JAZZ so go ahead and fix my poor articulations, out of tune notes, and the wrong notes. The 27th diminished, with augmented 3rd in the sub-diatonic with a passing tone approved by your Aunt Ethel still sounds like a wrong note! Even if the musician is wearing all black, makes faces like they are squeezing out a fart, puts fuffy air articulation in the front of the note(s) and afterwards nods their head up and down, jazz improv sounds bad to me. I need the basic model without a Jazz option that I might accidently select because I already play too out of tune, play too many wrong notes and don't articulate cleanly enough as it is.
Last edited by Matt Walters on Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Matt Walters for the post (total 2):
Ace (Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:13 pm) • humBell (Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:29 pm)

Last Chair Tubist
Who cares what group
Owns old horns that play better than what you have
the elephant

Re: My Ideal Tuba

Post by the elephant »

In jazz, the difference between playing a "hip chord extension" and a wrong note is one of faith.

:laugh:
These users thanked the author the elephant for the post (total 2):
windshieldbug (Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:42 am) • MN_TimTuba (Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:13 pm)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

…so doesn’t this line right up with most descriptions of most tubas that are advertised for sale at most places…??

(Since I mostly play 1920/1930s jazz, wrong notes are just…wrong. 🙄)
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
Yorkboy (Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:52 pm)
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

The most important requirement of all, Matt: Practices for me when I’m doing other things.

Rick “since we’re making a list and all” Denney
windshieldbug

Post by windshieldbug »

and any time the Music Director mentions it in rehearsal it's to praises its "World Class sound" ... :tuba:
If it’s tourist season, why can’t we shoot them?
tubanh84

Post by tubanh84 »

It must ideally “serve [you] well” for every setting through a doctorate and yet be inexplicably not what you want for a local orchestra or brass quintet.
These users thanked the author tubanh84 for the post:
Ace (Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:14 pm)
KingTuba1241X

Post by KingTuba1241X »

Classical snobs :drool: . Anyway, the ideal tuba would find it's own ride to rehearsal when I didn't feel like going.
06' Miraphone 187-4U
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Hey...Here are some AMAZING NEW ideas, that I JUST NOW thought up: :teeth: :thumbsup:

- a travel tuba - with one bell for school and one bell for home
- a mini-tuba, in B-flat, C, or F, for practicing and goofing around
- a tuba that comes all apart and fits into a suitcase.
- a tuba made of plastic...or even fiberglass...or weird black stuff
- tubas that I end up owning/keeping/treasuring that - after a series of trades/sales - actually cost me nothing... 🤫 🤐
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

CC
A little bigger than a Miraphone 188
5 rotary valves
Made in USA
Built for modern use and not 100 years old

Doesn't exist. Probably won't ever. I come to terms with that, at least until I win the lottery. :coffee:
These users thanked the author bort2.0 for the post:
MN_TimTuba (Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:15 pm)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

:laugh:
Your “ideal tuba“ is the one that you by next month… and the next month…and the month after that.
bort2.0 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:15 pm CC
5 rotary valves
Made in USA

Doesn't exist. Probably won't ever. I come to terms with that, at least until I win the lottery. :coffee:
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
djwpe (Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:40 pm)
GC

Post by GC »

Jumbo raincatcher sousaphone made of Kevlar with programmable LED lighting and all the wrong notes removed at the factory.
These users thanked the author GC for the post:
bloke (Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:00 pm)
Packer/Sterling JP377 compensating Eb; Mercer & Barker MBUZ5 (Tim Buzbee "Lone ☆ Star" F-tuba mouthpiece), Mercer & Barker MB3; for sale: Conn Monster Eb 1914, Fillmore Bros 1/4 Eb ca. 1905 antique (still plays), Bach 42B trombone
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

My ideal tuba automatically and continuously drains all spit and deposits it in the trumpet section, and has a gooseneck type bell that can be aimed upward, front ward, or sideways as the situation demands.
She also has a built-in coffee maker and mini donut dispenser.
Oh, and always makes me look cool.
Tim
MN_Tim
Lee Stofer Custom 2341-5
Miraphone 83 Eb
Miraphone 191-5 (formerly)
Holton BBb345 (formerly and fondly)
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

bloke wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:47 pm :laugh:
Your “ideal tuba“ is the one that you by next month… and the next month…and the month after that.
5 rotary valves
Made in USA

Ok then, my ideal tuba is one that I can resell whenever I feel like it, without losing money on it. Bonus if I make money on it. But break even at a fair price is usually just fine!

Beyond that, I was unaware that I was violating some kind of time limit rule. :laugh:

PS, I think the line started forming today for tuba #2, when/if I decide to sell. Which isn't for a while, since I won't have it back until March or so. :laugh:
bloke (Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:16 pm)
hup_d_dup
Has thanked: 0

Post by hup_d_dup »

Has a robotic delivery system so that it can transport itself to and from gigs and rehearsals.

Hup
These users thanked the author hup_d_dup for the post (total 3):
Doc (Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:18 pm) • prairieboy1 (Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:54 pm) • Matt Walters (Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:15 am)
Yes, I play tuba. What else is there to say?
iiipopes

Post by iiipopes »

My ideal tuba: a real (pre-Macmillan) Conn sousaphone with the upper loop of the first valve circuit converted to an adjustable slide. Yes, I have one, so old that dating it an exercise in futility, complete with the obligatory leaky valves. Yes, it is everybody's favorite for outdoor concerts, the bread-and-butter of community bands.

Last summer setting up for an Independence Day weekend concert from the principal trombone player, who looks over at me and says, "You brought the sousaphone! YES!!!"
Jupiter JTU1110
"Real" Conn 36K
Klier 4B Classic
YorkNumber3.0

Post by YorkNumber3.0 »

Last edited by YorkNumber3.0 on Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KingTuba1241X

Post by KingTuba1241X »

bort2.0 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:33 pm
bloke wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:47 pm :laugh:
5 rotary valves
Made in USA

Ok then, my ideal tuba is one that I can resell whenever I feel like it, without losing money on it. Bonus if I make money on it. But break even at a fair price is usually just fine!

Beyond that, I was unaware that I was violating some kind of time limit rule. :laugh:

PS, I think the line started forming today for tuba #2, when/if I decide to sell. Which isn't for a while, since I won't have it back until March or so. :laugh:
Maybe, (as a prudent and non-existent Car Salesman could/would say to a customer if he was honest)...you should be LEASING your tubas instead of buying them. Turn in the keys after X amount of years and walk away. :smilie6:
06' Miraphone 187-4U
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Is in Eb and is built like a Slinky so I can just wad it up and put it in my carry-on.
These users thanked the author Mary Ann for the post (total 2):
jtm (Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:16 pm) • humBell (Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:53 am)
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

KingTuba1241X wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:48 am Maybe, (as a prudent and non-existent Car Salesman could/would say to a customer if he was honest)...you should be LEASING your tubas instead of buying them. Turn in the keys after X amount of years and walk away. :smilie6:
If I was worried about getting depreciation, then sure.

Otherwise, I'm not losing money by doing this, so there's no risk and I can have as long of a trial period as I want/need. I really don't see why it's a big deal to buy/sell/trade frequently. Some day I'll stop, either because I've found the ideal tuba, because I don't feel like doing it anymore, or because I just don't care about tuba stuff anymore at all. But until then... :tuba:
MN_TimTuba (Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:36 am)
KingTuba1241X

Post by KingTuba1241X »

bort2.0 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:30 am
KingTuba1241X wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:48 am Maybe, (as a prudent and non-existent Car Salesman could/would say to a customer if he was honest)...you should be LEASING your tubas instead of buying them. Turn in the keys after X amount of years and walk away. :smilie6:
If I was worried about getting depreciation, then sure.

Otherwise, I'm not losing money by doing this, so there's no risk and I can have as long of a trial period as I want/need. I really don't see why it's a big deal to buy/sell/trade frequently. Some day I'll stop, either because I've found the ideal tuba, because I don't feel like doing it anymore, or because I just don't care about tuba stuff anymore at all. But until then... :tuba:
I got pretty good at keeping the same original $2000 or so invested rolling through about 36 horns since 2014...sometimes losing a little but gaining it back by flipping the next one. Now with the 187, I have sunk to the coral reef with an achor tied to my leg...but it was probably worth it for a solid horn. And horns, sadly depreciate unless they are a rare and highly sought after model. I watched the poor 186's drop from near $3000 in used/decent playable condition to <$1900 since March 2020. It's more tied to supply and demand, but still...if there's no demand, anything will depreciate. :smilie6:
06' Miraphone 187-4U